• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Are people born successful? The scientific answer is unequivocally NO. People may be born into success as the result of the past success of their families, but individuals themselves are not born successful. The simple answer is, success is a matter of habit, repetition, and putting in WORK. It really is that simple.
    via http://www.jobs2careers.com/advice/success-isnt-born-its-grown/

I've spent a significant amount of time studying the science behind performance and how people are able to achieve the levels of performance and great feats that they can. The article above is my take on it. I also wanted to create a discussion here since I always see people interested in learning how to become more proficient, and achieving a higher level of performance. Most people simply don't care, but for those that do, I'm more than happy to do a memory dump of all the things I've learned.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, it's mostly a matter of a few simple truths, and a few simple principles to incorporate into regular practice. The real difference is in how consistently and precisely people enact and observe those principles. As the saying goes, 'Winners always find a way. Losers always find an excuse."

Another great book on the subject, worth a read, is With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham, a multi-time Olympic gold medal winner and competitive shooter.

Another subject I've thought about lately:

Incorporating Periodization, or 100% All The Time?

With strength training, there are a couple of ways people often approach it. They either go 100% all the time, training to failure, never really changing their lifting routines. Also, there is periodization. Periodization involves periodically changing, reps, weights, and lifts to add a degree of variety. For example, instead of running 100% or even 90% at all times, you would use a progression. Maybe one week you would start at 70%, utilizing higher rep ranges. With each week, you might progressively increase, until you're hitting 1 rep maxes. You also might periodically change up the specific types of lifts you're using for a particular muscle group, or specific types of compound lifts, so that you are not doing the same exact thing all the time.

There has actually been a significant amount of scientific studies performed on periodization, finding it can have a substantial benefit in developing strength. An excellent example of a program like this is "Prilepin's Chart". A.S. Prilepin was a Soviet sports scientist during the 60's and 70's. He collected and studied data and training logs from over 1,000 Olympic, World, National, and European weightlifting champions. This chart is the result of his findings, as far as a training progression that tends to be fairly successful.

So how is this relevant to firearms? I'm wondering if some of the same principles might ring true with developing greater levels of shooting performance, or at least developing it more easily? It's something I have yet to experiment with. Some examples of how it might be incorporated might be:

• Benchmark maximum performance
    • Don't run at 100% all the time, but figure out a lower percentage where you are comfortable and perform consistently (maybe 50-70%?), then test various progressions over a period of weeks, such as with Prileprin's Chart
    • Periodically test your maximum performance ("1 rep max" IE, 100%)
    • DON'T train the same way and with the same drills every single week. Vary your drills and skills worked.
    ARJ Defense ad

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    I ask these questions not to say you are wrong or find fault.

1) How would you define the 100% benchmark?
    * There are lots of potentially 100% benchmarks- draw to 1 shot at variable distances and versions of targets
    * 3 yards to 30 yards or more
    * different hard covers and use of no-shoots
    * make up shots allowed or all Virginia Count
    * reloads with the same variation of hardcover, no-shoots and distance
    * now add in multiple targets- the definition becomes almost infinite
    * I haven't added in movement, entering or leaving position, ports, leans, etc.​
    I ain't saying 100% benchmarks aren't discernible, just that they might become very narrow
    Maybe you will say that you determine a benchmark for a particular skill as a part of the training regimen and then adopt a new one later?

2) Would it not boil down to a matter of improved time since 100% accuracy at X time is always better than 100% accuracy at anything slower?
    * Possibly you have some other measure in mind, which I want to hear

I read a "Tips from the GMs" which was provided by Max Michel (you don't get much more GM that Max). He also advocated lots (70%) of dry fire at 1/2 speed.

I balance this against some other sports performance guru (I can't dredge up exactly who he was, and possibly you posted about it) who stated that you have to train the shizzle you do at fast speeds at fast speeds.

Regardless, I intuited that shooting as a proper technique driven sport should be reinforced as proper technique over wanton speed.

You are 100% right about variation. I once spent a season only practicing hard shots at distance with danger. I got much better but also learned timidity. I made master on the fast burn 'em down classifiers and I found that suffered a bit on those once I learned to make 25 yard obscured target hits. There was a difference between finding the fastest highly difficult shot and turning it all off and hammer 4 targets at 4 yards like a mad man.

Also shooters can fall into the trap of only practicing what they are good at because it builds confidence but not completeness- I'm still weak on the one handed and weak-handed shooting.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looking at periodization from the standpoint of strength training, I think the same general concept of benchmarks would be warranted here. Basically, an individual shooter's benchmark for each individual drill. Pick a drill do it, then run it at a speed where you are at the edge of failure, or just barely failing (whatever constitutes "failure" for the drill), then back it off a few percent (tenth or few tenths of a second, some undetermined amount of shot group size, etc.). You then have a benchmark to start with. I don't think it's a matter of establishing a precisely accurate benchmark, but rather simply setting a goal, working it, checking it against the timer and shot group size, then readjusting the benchmark as necessary, and working at different speeds in a periodized manner. Over time, as you build more neural memory and become more comfortable with running at a higher percentage, what was once your 100% will eventually become your 80%, your 70%, and so on.

Eventually, to go fast....you have to go fast, of course. Because smooth is just smooth, slow is just plain slow, and too fast is never enough. That being said, it seems logical to me that, if you are working in a periodized manner on a particular drill, a majority of the time at say ~60-90% of your benchmark best, periodically testing yourself at 100%, I think most of the same work should would have been done. Namely, you will still be firing most of if not all of the same neurons, still engaging myelination of those neurons, ultimately still putting in reps and developing a greater degree of neural memory with that which you want to run at 100%+.

I think the real difficulty is in becoming and remaining truly self-aware, and maintaining accountability for performance. It's a little too easy for most people to get comfortable at a level below 90-100%, and just live there. At the least, periodically, it will always be necessary to push one's self to 100%, and eventually beyond 100% until you come off the tracks, then dial it back.

Other things I've thought about, that sort of tie in to this peripherally. Training hard versus training smart. For example, a lot of dry fire recommendations, or random comments we'll always typically hear in relation to dry fire. I think some people get the idea that you should be doing 1,000 reps (or some crazy number) per day, maybe practicing 1K draws per day, or draw to first shot, etc. But are they doing it every day, and doing it consistently? Maybe that sort of volume can't realistically be maintained, at least for some people? So maybe dialing it back a bit, to a more realistic volume (whatever that might be), so it can be consistently performed every single day. On top of that, maybe periodically switch up techniques/drills (maybe by the week, daily is probably too frequent). For example, say 1 drill on your first week is draw to 1 shot in the "credit card" in the head of an IDPA target. This drill would be performed every day of the first week, for some arbitrary number of reps, along with whatever other drills. Second week, maybe switch to draw to 1 shot in credit card of each target, for 2 or 3 targets. You would then be building on the original drill, still working all of the same elements, possibly introducing a few new ones, and you wouldn't be performing the same exact drill every single day, forever.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    To put that into context that's a bit more specific, I'll use the example of an IDPA classifier. Run it at Master class speed, to the point where you're dropping enough points that you'd get bumped back down into at least Expert, or maybe you're right on the line between classes. That's probably your 100-110%, but I'm just guessing. If you were to actually do this, you would then have the time of each of your runs for each of the strings of fire, which would actually work out well for establishing a ballpark benchmark of what your "100%" might be. Now work some of those individual strings into your daily practice, but at reduced percentage levels. For example, if your "100%" ended up being about 1.5 seconds draw to one shot in the head A zone on an IDPA target, your 70% would be ~1.95 seconds. So for that first week, maybe you back yourself off to using 2.0 seconds as a benchmark to aim for consistently performing at. Then maybe the next week, you might push that down to 1.80 seconds if you felt you still need more practice at that specific drill, OR you might decide to introduce the variable of a second headshot within that same 2.0 second 70% speed. Then maybe after a few weeks you're down to being able to consistently run at your previous 100% speed, but feeling so comfortable that it's probably realistically your 90% speed now. These intervals and percentages may not necessarily be accurate, but I think the general concept could have some value, versus simply doing the same thing, the same way, every single day or maybe even inconsistently.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    It would be a good question for the GMs.

I identified the skills one always does at matches.
    I practiced these skills, sometimes individually, sometimes in concert with other skills, sometimes all together in mini stages

Always I started slow and worked the exactness of a motion
    Always I increased the speed incrementally until I failed. Failed could mean missing the grip on the draw or finding a gun and front sight bouncing all over uncontrollably. It could be messed up reloads or stumbling into position or slipping moving out of position or over transitioning a target.
    I tried to slow to where it felt like I was a maximum execution of an action (maximum accuracy at maximum speed) and repeat until I faltered. Then a few slower perfect executions and done.
    Sometimes I was in the groove and did it for many repetitions. Sometimes I stopped because it just wasn't happening and only did a few perfect slow executions.

Never was it the same thing each day. It seemed like after a great day of reloads I would want a few days away from burning down reloads again, and slower perfect executions fit the bill.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've been dry firing much more and running drills much more but need to be more focused and intentional in both but it has helped me much more than trying to work out flaws at the range alone.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    I'm just trying to stop the front sight from moving.

Do yourself a favor. Unload the gun, point it at something about 3"-4" in size at 5-7 yards. You will be focused on the front sight and that oh so horrid excessive movement.

Now, widen you perspective. See more than the front sight. See how much the front sight moves compared to the 3" "target."

I am willing to bet a free class that you will find that your worst wobble never exceeds that 3" target. If the gun were to go bang at anytime you would hit the target.

As Sig_Fiend said, it never stops moving. But, with practice it will lessen. It ain't happening this week, or next year. But, it lessens the more you sight and press.

Note: I said sight and press, and I did NOT say attempt to hold the gun perfectly still.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Do yourself a favor. Unload the gun, point it at something about 3"-4" in size at 5-7 yards. You will be focused on the front sight and that oh so horrid excessive movement.

Now, widen you perspective. See more than the front sight. See how much the front sight moves compared to the 3" "target."

I am willing to bet a free class that you will find that your worst wobble never exceeds that 3" target. If the gun were to go bang at anytime you would hit the target.

As Sig_Fiend said, it never stops moving. But, with practice it will lessen. It ain't happening this week, or next year. But, it lessens the more you sight and press.

Note: I said sight and press, and I did NOT say attempt to hold the gun perfectly still.
    I've learned not to try and hold it and hold it and hold it then fire. I get worse the longer I hold the sight picture!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It is highly technical and hard to understand at times, but after it sinks in, you realize it is pure genius.

Lets be honest, it was written like Brian was on an acid trip at the time, or otherwise high off of something. ;) Good read though, with a lot of deep concepts most will never even consider.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    Lets be honest, it was written like Brian was on an acid trip at the time, or otherwise high off of something. ;) Good read though, with a lot of deep concepts most will never even consider.

It's only the first three to five chapters... once you get past the zen stuff it's solid gold.

Top Bottom