• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I just learned of this. I'm sure locals and those following precision shooting for the last few decades will have heard of this, no doubt.

Was a very interesting read, informative in regards to what really effects accuracy mechanically, when things like weather variables are reduced/eliminated.
    DK Firearms

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I actually started the same thread almost a year ago.

I found the article some years ago on another gun forum when someone posted the story. Funny thing is, my grandmother went to church with Virgil King and his wife, and I had met them many years ago, but I never knew anything about his shooting activities. Talk about an opportunity lost. The King's were good friends of my grandmother and visited her often and carried her to church with them when she got to the point she could no longer drive anymore.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When rich dudes hobby is the shooting sports what they do is limitless!

Remember Robo Cop? The scene with the big gun blowing shit up? I met that guy whose Pauza .50 bmg was used.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good stuff in there. Think I need a 6mm something or other. When I started my reloading journey I was getting great accuracy out my armalite M-15 with 4198 but it short stroked even when loaded to Max specs. I quickly gave up on it and realized running a gas gun adds another layer to things.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, we've taken some note of the Houston Warehouse saga on this board before.

The story first appeared in Precision Shooting magazine.

As a side note, this is part of the reason that I'm so pissed at the publisher of Precision Shooting. The magazines he put out were filled with incredibly detailed, sometimes arcane, always eye-opening, often deeply (sometimes nearly opaquely) technical articles. He used the most knowledgeable people to write the articles and most of them barely appeared in print anywhere else. IOW, those magazines (Precision Shooting, The Accurate Rifle, and a short-lived magazine focused on hunting) were written by serious shooters, for serious shooters. They were magnificent.

What do we have now? Scraps. PDFs of articles scattered around on blogs. A terrible little website where you used to be able to pay way too much for just a few back issues on paper. And now, even the website is gone, the domain having been taken over by a benchrest shooter in Canada who has a nice site but it has nothing to do with the out-of-business magazine.

Why has all that wonderful knowledge been lost in the ether? Why will future generations of shooters be forced to recreate experiments that have already been done instead of making real progress? Because the publisher didn't care. When he shut down operations, he just walked away from any notion of duty to his audience. He made no effort to keep that information alive.

I'd happily pay $300 for a CD or set of CDs or just a massive file I can download that includes every magazine ever published by Precision Shooting. I'm not the only one who misses those magazines. Nowadays, I see them on eBay for $2-$40/issue and I cringe.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When rich dudes hobby is the shooting sports what they do is limitless!
    You mean like buying, chambering, and fitting 40 barrels to test so you can pick the best three with which to compete? And repeating that same process every year?

How else do you think you get into the Benchrest Hall of Fame? And be named "Benchrest Shooter of the Year" repeatedly, more times than anyone else can ever hope to achieve?

That's just a benchrest example. The real "rich dudes" in the shooting sports are countries.
    • Germany used to give Ralf Schumann 250,000 rounds (typically, up to 400,000 rounds in some years) of .22LR ammo per year to practice. I'm not talking plinking ammo; I'm talking Eley Tenex, the stuff that's always ridiculously expensive. With the adoption of electronic triggers and laser tracking, there's no need to shoot that much real ammo for training anymore but they were always willing to pay whatever it cost.
    • China has built a whole system with scouts and farm teams and a central HQ/factory to produce Olympic shooting medalists. Their first Olympic medal, a gold, was won by a shooter so shooting is considered a serious sport by the general populace over there. It's a source of national pride. Their shooting team gets, basically, anything it wants.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah, we've taken some note of the Houston Warehouse saga on this board before.

The story first appeared in Precision Shooting magazine.

As a side note, this is part of the reason that I'm so pissed at the publisher of Precision Shooting. The magazines he put out were filled with incredibly detailed, sometimes arcane, always eye-opening, often deeply (sometimes nearly opaquely) technical articles. He used the most knowledgeable people to write the articles and most of them barely appeared in print anywhere else. IOW, those magazines (Precision Shooting, The Accurate Rifle, and a short-lived magazine focused on hunting) were written by serious shooters, for serious shooters. They were magnificent.

What do we have now? Scraps. PDFs of articles scattered around on blogs. A terrible little website where you used to be able to pay way too much for just a few back issues on paper. And now, even the website is gone, the domain having been taken over by a benchrest shooter in Canada who has a nice site but it has nothing to do with the out-of-business magazine.

Why has all that wonderful knowledge been lost in the ether? Why will future generations of shooters be forced to recreate experiments that have already been done instead of making real progress? Because the publisher didn't care. When he shut down operations, he just walked away from any notion of duty to his audience. He made no effort to keep that information alive.

I'd happily pay $300 for a CD or set of CDs or just a massive file I can download that includes every magazine ever published by Precision Shooting. I'm not the only one who misses those magazines. Nowadays, I see them on eBay for $2-$40/issue and I cringe.

I think a lot of that information is still floating around out there, just kind of scattered around. It would be nice if there was some singular source for such information.

Maybe one day.

Top Bottom