Lynx Defense

The Harley Broke Down But What A Great Day!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been riding motorcycles since my friend took me riding on a Cushman Scooter at 13. Got my first of almost 30 motorcycles at 17, blew the engine and traded it for a Vespa Scooter. It's been like that for nearly 50 years and riding my bikes has been my passion.

Nothing in my life has given me more pleasure, adventure and just plain fun than riding a motorcycle!

I also have a "Silver Spoon" and my neighbor in Broken Arrow Oklahoma put it this way "Flash, you fall in shit more than any person I've ever known but you always come out smelling like a rose!" That's true. It's almost like I have angels on my shoulder. Whatever happens, it ALWAYS come out for the best!

The angels worked overtime on Tuesday, 9-25-2012.

I wrote out the check for my water bill and house payment and climbed aboard the Harley to take care of the payments. I got those errands done and decided to go to Harbor Freight in Pasadena just for grins. Stopped at "Sam's" to get my gas as usual, filled the bike with premium, paid and headed out.

I got a 1/4 mile down the road and the bike went dead stick. My first thought was "Bad Gas" so I pushed the bike back to the gas station.

(Side bar here....I've heard the statement "I'd rather push a Harley than ride a Honda." Trust me, pushing a Harley isn't that cool!)

I demanded that they have the pump checked which they did. They have full diagnostics and testing built in so the owner ran those tests and found no contamination or water. I called my neighbor to see if he was free to give me a lift. He was 30 miles away but he called another neighbor who called me back and said that he could help. Meanwhile, the owner of the station gave me a bottle of cold water and said he'd give me a lift.

I called Wade back and said I was on the way but asked if he could help me load the bike. He said "Sure." I thanked Sam for the lift, hooked my flatbed trailer up to the Jeep and Wade and I were off to the races.

We got the bike loaded and took it directly to the Harley speed shop a few miles from here. Many times I told the owner of that shop that I preferred to deal with local businesses even though I could save a few bucks by shopping online. When we rolled in with my bike, he pulled two guys off of a job and had them fix my bike immediately.

The fuel valve (fuel cock) is vacuum operated so it shuts off when the engine is off. When I parked the bike to fill it, the heat finally finished off the vacuum hose going to the fuel valve and it lost vacuum. No vacuum.....no gas. It was hard to get to that hose as the engine is the big 1200cc Evo and it's really crowded. They still had me going in .6 hour of shop time which I gladly paid.

Wade drove the Jeep home and I rode the scooter. The first neighbor that I called then called back to check on me.

At first glance, it's tempting to bitch about my scooter breaking down but instead, I tried to grasp the bigger picture.

The first neighbor couldn't help me but he lined up a second neighbor who could.

The gas station owner took me home...right to my door. He said "I can't have my good customers walking home in this heat."

The station guys watched my Harley for me while I was gone.

Wade helped me load the bike and stayed with me until the bike was repaired. He drove the Jeep and trailer home for me.

The MC shop jumped on my bike problem and had it fixed in a little over 30 minutes.

The problem was minor (but a bear to get to) and was simple to fix. It was NOT something I could fix on the side of the road.

Cost of the repair was minimal and I was glad to pay it!

OK....I fell in Shxt and came out smelling like a rose. The angels worked overtime and the "silver spoon" is alive and well! I am very grateful for the intervention of my angels!

It WAS a great day!

Flash
    Capitol Armory ad

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Nice story Flash. I love my bikes like nothing else. I had a 1970 FLH for 3 years, Head on with a truck, Bought a 1966 FLH, had that for 27 years, wore out. In 2006 bought a 06 Road King Classic. Still ride that one to this day. If you have never had that feeling you don't know what you are missing. Glad to hear you are still enjoying riding.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My bike is a 2006 and is the last year for carburetors. Of all of the bikes that I've owned, this is my favorite! Its an XL1200C.

Flash

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Some times I think about Trading in my Road King for a Sportster I had a lot of fun on mine and I think I road it more as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom