• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabe Suarez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Arizona Republic
    6a0133ec985af6970b013487f6a79b970c-500wi.jpg

About three years ago we began work on the concept of a sniper class for “the common man”. I was receiving numerous requests for a “precision rifle” class and we did not have one in our class list. “Precision Rifle” is actually a presumably inoffensive way to say “sniper”, in the same way “urban rifle” is a politically correct way of saying “assault rifle”. In any case, I began a research project into the matter.

First off I wanted to stay away from the elitism often seen at many “high power” or “precision rifle” schools and ranges. My goal was to have a common man be able to buy his kit without going into debt, bring it out to class, and be able to meet a reasonable standard. Thus it should be skill-based and not gear-based.
    Next, I wanted the concept to revolve around the anti-personnel use of the rifle and not with target shooting, hunting, or any other sport-based activity. After all, we are and always have been a combat oriented school. No need to change any of that now.

Finally, I wanted the material to be relevant to my market. Most of my students come from the civilian world and work as doctors, lawyers, teachers, barbers, etc. While there is a consistent police and military presence in our classes, it is dwarfed by civilian participation. It didn’t make sense to build a class around the SOP of the police sniper, or the military sniper. So I began to study historical references where private citizens have used sniper skills to save the day. I found a wealth of material in the historical record.

From the exploits of Francis Marion’s riflemen, to “Old Jack” Hinson’s sniping during the Civil War, and from the activities of Partisans during the world wars to the sniping in the Balkans, we see what a common man can do with rifle skills and minimal equipment. When I announced my research, many members of warriortalk sent in data and suggestions.

Two very notable sources were an obscure newsletter called The Resistor, and a book called Fry The Brain.

The Resistor was a newsletter put out by anonymous SF personnel, many with extreme political views, but nonetheless useful in my research. One particular issue had an article titled The Partisan Sniper, which made a great deal of sense with regards to the tactics of the concept. The overall theme was that if the job could not be done with a common hunting rifle and delinked machinegun ammo, the shooter’s focus was far too slanted toward equipment rather than skills, and it mocked the elite “precision shooting” community.

The book Fry The Brain was written by a man named John West, also with special operations experience, and offers a detailed study of urban guerrilla sniping and its employment in modern unconventional warfare. I suggest the book strongly to anyone wanting more information on the theme.

Based on all my research, many discussions with snipers from various communities, and my own police sniper training, I built the class we now know as Guerrilla Sniper. The course goals were for the shooter to be able to hit faces out to 200 yards and bodies out to 600 yards. Other goals included shooting from unusual positions found in both urban and rural environments, as well as understanding the concepts needed in an urban and rural firing position.

Thus far we have met and exceeded those course goals. As one police SWAT student commented to me recently after we took an entire class from 100 yards to 1000 yards in two days, “It is amazing to see what regular guys can do with basic equipment”. Yes it is.

I believe our instructional material is as good as it can be for a class of three days. I make it clear that the point is not to turn students into USMC snipers or Police Snipers in three days, but rather to take them as far as they can possibly go with what they brought, and train them up in the tradition of Francis Marion and Jack Hinson.

I want to discuss distance for a moment. When the term sniping comes up, we conjure images of hits on enemy combatants miles away from a bolt gun hidden in the weeds in the best Carlos Hathcock tradition. While that may happen from time to time, and while we may push it training as a confidence builder, most sniping around the world happens much closer.

Tests conducted by the US military showed just how difficult it is to even see targets in the field. Army Operations Research Office during project SALVO learned some interesting things about the likelihood of seeing standing humanoid target vs. what was possible on an open known distance range.

For field conditions (location of target not previously known), a target at 100 yards was relatively easy to see, with about an 80% success rate. But the same target at 200 yards yielded only a 40% success rate. A target at 300 yards was spotted only 20% of the time, and then only about 5% when at 400 yards. We tested this out with unloaded rifles and a staff instructor downrange in open country, moving, running, standing still and actually trying to hide by going prone. Unless you are already monitoring an area for movement, you will probably not see a man farther than about 300 yards. Thus our 200 yard/600 yard standards make good sense. Truly we could cut that distance down to 500 yards and still be real world relevant.

On the equipment, we have some observation we want to share with our future students.

The rifle: In all honesty, the rifle is the least concern here. I have seen guys bring Knights SR25s costing over $4K, and I have seen Savage hunting rifles. It really depends on two things; what you have and what you like.

Given what the course objectives are, as long as your rifle is capable of 2 MOA, you should have no issues meeting the grade. Inside of 600 yards, the semi-autos stay right up with the bolt action rifles in terms of accuracy. In one class we saw a PSL with Czech Silvertip stay up with a $3K custom Remington Bolt Gun shooting Fed Match. Anyone who understands killing must appreciate the capability of a good semi-auto for rapid and accurate repeat shots that even a highly skilled bolt man cannot keep up with.

We have seen a good number of M1As, FALs, and AR-10 style rifles used very successfully in these classes. We have seen a number of Saigas in various configurations as well as PSLs. These are good rifles, but have an exceedingly large number of variables that must be addressed when setting one up for this role. Problems in original assembly seem to be the biggest issues. In the last class we had two Saiga 308s. One made hits out to 1000 yards while the other was good to 600 yards, but not beyond. Anyone contemplating the use of a Saiga rifle or a PSL for this role should have the rifle tuned up by Jim Fuller or Will Hayden to be sure.

Once the range exceeds 600 yards, we see the advantage of the semi-auto recede and the bolt guns take lead position. The need for closer MOA and the lack of needing successive follow up shots puts it in the lead. That said, we have seen M1A Socoms, Saiga 308s, and even one very good rifleman with a tuned AR15 make hits at 1000.

The optics: The glass is far more important than the rifle…at least from what I have seen in class. You can put a very nice optic on a hunting grade rifle and do far more than with a cheap scope mounted on a high dollar gun. Avoid “famous maker” scopes, or “special deals”. As a bare minimum, look at Burris, Nikon, or Leupold. Those are not the only good ones, but what I have seen the most of. We have had guys come to class with Nightforce and US Optics as well, but such expense is not necessary in my opinion.

Variable power is more useful than fixed. Guys running fixed power optics do well at distance but have issues up close in the snap shooting, as well as in tracking/locating targets. A good balance is some sort of 3-9 power, or 4-12 power.

A BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle is very useful. We had one man using the Burris ballistic plex make hits out to 600 without touching any knobs on his optic. What can be simpler? In addition to the variable power, having easy adjustments that allow you work past the maximum of your BDC is good.

Ammunition: Very few of us can afford to shoot all match all the time, so we suggest two types of ammo. One is the match ammo your rifle is primarily zeroed for and which you will use for serious shooting. The other is a training analog similar in characteristics to that load. The training load won’t be identical, but you should work up data for it as well and make notes in your data book. That way you can train without an undue expense.

Other handy items are a good set of binoculars strong enough to see impacts on a steel target out to 600 yards. A spotting scope will do as well, but binos are easier to carry.

While bipods are handy on the range, we did not see many guys use them once we got off the range. Having one will not hurt, and most of my rifles do, but learn to shoot off your ruck sack as well as that will be most useful for field shooting.

Develop a good sitting position too since few shots can be taken from prone in the field.

This is a fascinating study and we will keep reporting our progress. As our friend said in class, “It is amazing to see what regular guys can do with basic equipment”. Yes it is, and it will become more and more so as we develop the concept further.

Special congratulations to Suarez Staff Instructor Eric Pfleger. He has been appointed as the second SI Guerrilla Sniper Instructor. Below he is shown during a remarkable feat of arms - hitting an IPSC steel silohuette from standing at 1000 yards as witnessed by the recent class.

6a0133ec985af6970b0133f4d6f1e2970b-500wi.jpg
    Military Camp

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I love the concept, and it seems like a really 'different' class. I have some questions about how you'd address equipment choice though. I do feel that there's equipment choices that you can make with virtually no loss to the overall picture, but large gains in applicability. One of them being the reticle, which I hold to be one of the more important aspects of the scope, especially if you are talking about pushing a small bore semi-auto to it's capabilities.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I love the concept, and it seems like a really 'different' class. I have some questions about how you'd address equipment choice though. I do feel that there's equipment choices that you can make with virtually no loss to the overall picture, but large gains in applicability. One of them being the reticle, which I hold to be one of the more important aspects of the scope, especially if you are talking about pushing a small bore semi-auto to it's capabilities.
    What reticle do you prefer for medium to long range? For short range (even out to 200 yds.) I don't think you can beat the German 3 post either #1 or #4. I have a Burris Euro Diamond 1.5 x 6 on my AR that has the ElectroDot. I especially like the fact that the dot is no bigger than the intersection of the crosshairs.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I run a Nightforce MLR with 0.1 Mil turrets. Personally, the turrets and reticle have to match for field simplicity and ease of ranging / doping, but for 500 and in, you can use a hold-over. You can make solid man hits at range with a normal reticle, but the hashes and dots on various reticle choices are superior for finite holds, especially when you are talking about a 10 MPH full value wind on a partially concealed target at 400 - 500 yards with a small bore gun, 5.45x39 or .223 Rem for example.

At 500 yards with a 10 MPH full value wind, even using a 77 gr. SMK you're going to get about 52" of drop and 21.5" of wind drift. You can try to Kentucky that, and probably get good results on an exposed target, or you can increase your effectiveness and place the cone of fire more inline by holding 3 mils over, and 1 mil into the wind. It's more reliable and just requires training and some experience, and a dope chart.

Gabe Suarez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Arizona Republic
    You know guys....for this, I gotta say I really am beginning to like MilDots. I have a 3-9 Leupold MilDot on my PSL and really like the ease. Pfleger was using a MilDot-esque TMR for his feat of arms at class. Alternatively, the gent in the lead photo got hits out to 900 with a Saiga 308 16" barrel and a Burris Ballistic-Plex.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You know guys....for this, I gotta say I really am beginning to like MilDots. I have a 3-9 Leupold MilDot on my PSL and really like the ease. Pfleger was using a MilDot-esque TMR for his feat of arms at class. Alternatively, the gent in the lead photo got hits out to 900 with a Saiga 308 16" barrel and a Burris Ballistic-Plex.

You can always walk it in, but getting first round hits at range the mil-dots are superior, especially when you are talking about repeatability. Going dynamic, the mil-dots and similar scaled reticles are unrivaled. You can use them to range a target when nothing else is available, or to correlate other ranging methods. Course, you probably already know all of this, I'm just voicing opinion.

For an urban sniping platform, I have a suppressed 10/22 that will hold about ~1 MOA to 100 yards. You won't get a wizz-crack, you will barely hear the report over ambient noise, and I can carry alot of ammo. It might not be a drag down powerhouse of a round, but I guarantee you could get the job done. I've made center mass hits at 250 yards repeatable, with 2 - 3 shot strings in short order.

The TMR is probably the best reticle offered by Leupold. I use the MLR from Nightforce, but from what I understand Premier makes the reticles for Leupold, and there are some aftermarket choices out there.

Thanks for posting this and welcome to the forum Gabe!

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Right now I'm running a Explore Optic whatever. It does 4-16x with mildots. It's my first scope so I'm still getting used to it.
    I've already learned to use the mildots to adjust to different ranges. At my home range I'm limited to 100 yards so I use the first mildot above the cross hairs for my point of impact. If I didnt flinch so friggin much I might actually hit something occasionally.

Anyway, I ordered that book "Fry the Brain". Amazon already shipped it so it should be here Thursday.

Looking forward to taking the class. But I gotta wait a few weeks before I register. Gotta find another client to mug. I mean do some work for to pay for the class.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I would really like to attend this class and learn the correct way to shoot at distance. My worry is that my equipment wouldn't be up to par and I wouldn't be able to attend the class, buy ammo and a new rifle and glass.

What I've got is a CMMG 6.8 spc 16" Barrel. Current Scope is a Redfield 3x9 with their version of a drop reticle. I have about 100 rounds through the combo and have not had one single issue with the setup.

Thoughts on how this rifle would work in the class?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would really like to attend this class and learn the correct way to shoot at distance. My worry is that my equipment wouldn't be up to par and I wouldn't be able to attend the class, buy ammo and a new rifle and glass.

What I've got is a CMMG 6.8 spc 16" Barrel. Current Scope is a Redfield 3x9 with their version of a drop reticle. I have about 100 rounds through the combo and have not had one single issue with the setup.

Sounds like it's a "run what you brung" kind of deal, and learn to work with what you have at hand, rather than try breaking the bank tailoring a setup around something as esoteric as sniper work.

If you like the setup, run it. I can't think of a better way to find out the system's capabilities than something like this...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Lox, that sounds EXACTLY what this class is oriented for, go for it dude! Write up an AAR (After-Action Report).

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Lox, your gear will do fine. I'm going to be running a Red Jacket Saiganov .308 and playing with an AR15 with an ACOG 4x32. You won't regret it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Lox, Alan and I both have some experience with the new Redfields, and they are good to go. Every gun I've sighted in with those on it worked just fine, and they hold up well too. CMMG's are good quality AR's too, you should be good to go.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Lox, Alan and I both have some experience with the new Redfields, and they are good to go. Every gun I've sighted in with those on it worked just fine, and they hold up well too. CMMG's are good quality AR's too, you should be good to go.

Werd, the Redfields are awesome for the price.

I think Travis needs more of this formula... Nugget + Redfield = Win?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    If I didnt flinch so friggin much I might actually hit something occasionally.

Tweek, you may want to look at the fit of that rifle. As much as you seem to shoot, I'd be supprised if you wouldn't lose that flinch if the rifle fit better. It may be as simple as moving your scope, but I wouldn't be able to tell without seeing you shoulder it.

I've shot magnum bolt rifles for YEARS, and i'll get a flinch on someone elses rifle in a heartbeat if the fit is off. If one of my rifles didn't get setup right, i'd know it in a hurry!

[/hijack]

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Tweek, you may want to look at the fit of that rifle. As much as you seem to shoot, I'd be supprised if you wouldn't lose that flinch if the rifle fit better. It may be as simple as moving your scope, but I wouldn't be able to tell without seeing you shoulder it.

I've shot magnum bolt rifles for YEARS, and i'll get a flinch on someone elses rifle in a heartbeat if the fit is off. If one of my rifles didn't get setup right, i'd know it in a hurry!

[/hijack]

See the Top Gun thread. The weather is trending in the right direction for an excellent day.

Top Bottom