• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I've quit patronizing a new indoor range north of town here because of their arrogant attitude the last three visits. I have no problem with them inspecting my guns or ammunition to make sure there is no steel ammo, but they have been pretty rude lately. I suppose if they have more business than they can handle they won't mind not getting mine. They are the most expensive indoor range I've been too, and I don't think I'm going to miss it.
    Guns International

riata2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Pensacola
    I been there 3 times in the past two months. Was asked to put the bag behind the counter twice first cause I was going to the bathroom and they didn't want it setting out side the check in area. The second time was when I went into the store. No ties on any bag.
    Have had the same nice young lady check me in all three times. Made a snide comment about " this an't your daddys' shootin range" and a lady came from the back and said "o yes it is" and we all laughed about that.
    Great place to shoot for a senior shooter half price for am shooting.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Was asked to put the bag behind the counter twice first cause I was going to the bathroom and they didn't want it setting out side the check in area. .
    I go to the bathroom to wash the lead and other contaminants off my hands the second I leave the shooting line. My range bag goes with me. Anyplace that enforces a different rule won't get my business.

"This ain't your daddys' shootin range"? That would be enough for me to turn around and walk out, instantly.

I swear, either I'm becoming an old grouch or the concept of building my own range is just becoming more and more attractive to me over time. Probably both.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't they charge by the hour? I have a couple dozen mags fully loaded when I go the the range, I am ready to shoot not sit and load all them up. So if I spend half my time loading them there do I get a discount ?
    Have been in the place one time, nothing great, overpriced and waiting room on range side was full. I will stick to my normal range that is a flat fee for all the time I want.

I have never been there, but I never pre-load my mags & can easily go through 300 rounds in an hour (slow fire).....how many rounds do you normally shoot?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I go to the bathroom to wash the lead and other contaminants off my hands the second I leave the shooting line.

You would be in luck there, they have hand washing stations inside the range area, right behind the lanes.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...new indoor range north of town... (consistently inspects) guns or ammunition to make sure there is no steel ammo... most expensive indoor range I've been to...

Hmmm. If it weren't for your location, I'd guess Gander Mountain but there's no GM Academy north of "Cowtown" (which, to me, means Ft. Worth, Texas).

Care to tell us what range you're talking about?

riata2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Pensacola
    I think you didn't read my first post QUITE correctly:
    I was the one who said the line about this not being your daddy's range, I guess all ranges are as pristine and new as this one, eh
    I was glad that she asked me to lift bag up on the counter and have her place it where NO ONE would walk off with my 2 guns,ammo, earmuffs,glasses, cleaning stuff etc.. while I went down a blind hall to the mens room.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was glad that she asked me to lift bag up on the counter and have her place it where NO ONE would walk off with my 2 guns,ammo, earmuffs,glasses, cleaning stuff etc.. while I went down a blind hall to the mens room.

Would you have actually left all that stuff behind on the floor while going to the men's room?

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I have been there a few times but have not shot at the range. I don't believe I would leave my range bag with anyone. I would simply politely tell them that they are not able to be in possession of my suppressor without violating federal law so I must keep my bag with me at all times.

flex28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    League City
    I've been going to the Arms Room since the old store and have a plat. membership at the new.
    Been great so far but I get 10% off and know the old hands. I do wish they'd train the new employees to be nicer and use better judgement.
    However, remember one lawsuit and nobody shoots any more. I'm with Napoleon on what to do with lawyers.
    Like too many things, we devolve to the lowest common denominator when it comes to how people are treated, esp. strangers.
    Witness the TSA at airports , being asked for ID to buy glue at Home Depot ( I'm twce 21 ) and putting up with DUI interrogation at a roadblock.
    So , they know me, I spend plenty of meoney there, I shoot when I like usually , I never had a serious problem there
    and I like the people and the place.

P.S. If I don't know you and you're shooting next to me then I will watch you to be sure you aren't going to accidentally shoot me.
    Feel free to check me out - for safety anyways. I let the range guys giveme tips ,shoot my guns if they like and if I were to do something really unsafe I hope they tell me, right then. Now put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how you would handle a full day of strangers who could accidentally blow your head off any second of 8 hour days.

That said, at other places, like say AJ's Funny Farm Range in League City you can experiencee true life threatening situations, from the owners.
    And other places have range despots who desperately want to become corrupt police officers in some 3rd world hellish dictatorship.
    They would also make perfect TSA screeners or EPA inspectors but couldn't pass the civil service exam even when they were spotted 58 points for being mentally impaired.Yes , these mini dictators were the same ones who couldn't get date ( at least not a human one ) in high school and were constantly being pesrered by the Science Club to volunteer for experimental guni

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was a member of an indoor range in Oklahoma and have been a member of 6 different gun clubs in my life. The problem with the indoor ranges is that they blend retail store rules with firing range rules. What you guys describe is exactly what you'd find if Walmart ran a shooting range. Their primary focus is on retail security instead of treating their customers like proficient, adult, responsible shooters. At the gun clubs, they sell targets and ear plugs but the rules in force are those relating to a shooting range only.

I keep memberships at two different gun clubs now. I had three a while back but cut one loose.

What chaps my butt is that you guys pay by the gun or by the hour or both. That's a damned ripoff! I'd highly recommend a gun club membership.

I was approached by a man who wants to open a public outdoor range in the East Houston area. He asked me if I'd run it for him. Hell, yes I'd do that! We'll see if it goes anywhere. I think that a range can be fun, exciting, friendly and still be safe. No "Range Nazi's" allowed!

Flash

flex28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    League City
    If you're serious about building your own range and want ' partners ' post it and I'll be onboard.
    It takes about 40 members , has to have strict legal protection ( hold harmless provisions ) and have the right attitudeof members.

Rule one - anyone acting like a range nazi has to volunteer to put up targets for a week or quit
    Rule 2 - anyone that needs a range nazi to make them shoot safely - same deal
    Rule 3 - if you can tote it and it doesn't need a crew you can shoot it
    Rule 4 - shoot at anything other than the targets and it gets to shoot back
    Rule 5 - All expenses are shared equally by members but if you break it you buy it, yourself
    Rule 6 - range is for fun and shooting for members and guests not your neighborhood block party, family reunion or booze fest with your bar buddies. Guns and booze not allowed in the hands or on the body of the same person at the same time
    Rule 7 - I'm not in charge of you , you're not in charge of me or anyone else
    Rule 8 - don't make any more rules
    If this sounds good post your ' let's start a range ' thread and let's do it.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The Arms Room owners are free to run their business any way they choose and I am free to go elsewhere. My membership at PSC lets me enjoy shooting more then their range ever could and what I can't buy online I will buy at Gun Shows or Academy.

Many years ago there was an indoor range in Webster called "Pointblank" where you could sell Safe Queens for a fair consignment, bring all the guns you could carry through the door and pay one range fee and rent a gun if you wanted to try that model. Unfortunately a pet boarding business moved next door and began legal trouble because the gunfire upset the animals.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I was surprised last week when I visited The Arms Room the number of changes they have made.

There seemed to be a lot less for sale items in the store, and a number of the sales racks had been removed. They did seem to have the same number of guns, but things like holsters, magazines, etc. has been cut way back.

They also seemed to have made a few minor structural changes, like removing the doors to the shooting range lobby, opening it up to the main entrance area.

I think they improved their rental selection and have a few more guns on the wall behind the cashier than they did when they opened.

While they are not for sale, and don't seem to change, I do like walking the "museum" section that has the owners collection and seeing those guns each time I shop there.

RIG78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    League City (Houston Area)
    Just left TAR yesterday. No bag flagging there, nor any unloading of the three mags I had loaded. Never had that happen since I've been going there (4months).

Nice place. Descent range. CHL class was good too.

Sent via MY iPhone (TapaTalk)

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If you're serious about building your own range and want ' partners ' post it and I'll be onboard.
    It takes about 40 members , has to have strict legal protection ( hold harmless provisions ) and have the right attitudeof members.

Rule one - anyone acting like a range nazi has to volunteer to put up targets for a week or quit
    Rule 2 - anyone that needs a range nazi to make them shoot safely - same deal
    Rule 3 - if you can tote it and it doesn't need a crew you can shoot it
    Rule 4 - shoot at anything other than the targets and it gets to shoot back
    Rule 5 - All expenses are shared equally by members but if you break it you buy it, yourself
    Rule 6 - range is for fun and shooting for members and guests not your neighborhood block party, family reunion or booze fest with your bar buddies. Guns and booze not allowed in the hands or on the body of the same person at the same time
    Rule 7 - I'm not in charge of you , you're not in charge of me or anyone else
    Rule 8 - don't make any more rules
    If this sounds good post your ' let's start a range ' thread and let's do it.

VERY interested. Especially if it's outdoor and has long range lanes.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just left TAR yesterday. No bag flagging there, nor any unloading of the three mags I had loaded. Never had that happen since I've been going there (4months).

Nice place. Descent range. CHL class was good too.

Middle of the week thing? SInce they are not as busy? Just curious...

RIG78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    League City (Houston Area)
    I've gone on every day except Tuesday (in the past couple of months), and have not had that issue. Decided to sign up for membership, since I shot more lately. May suspend that later... Once I get consistently better with shooting (improved accuracy).

Dunno what to say...

keith_tx

Bit and Byte Wrangler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    League City
    I'm moving to League City in a couple weeks and went down to the new house to unload some things. Thought I'd give TAR a try since I'll only be < 10 minutes away.

Everyone was friendly, no range bag checking or unloading of mags or any of that silly business. No waiting for a lane or anything. I rented a .22 for my sister to shoot since she hadn't ever shot before and the thing kept failing to eject. RO noticed and came over, offered to give it a quick cleaning and it worked fine.

Seemed like a decent enough place, clean and well ventilated.

Top Bottom