Patriot Mobile

The ammo shortage...Is it getting better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    For a couple weeks, we've been seeing an increasing trickle of ammo at retailers around the state. CTD is still charging $60 for fifty rounds of 9x19mm but, other retailers seem to be averaging a slightly more reasonable $17-$20 for that same amount of ammo. Back in January, some predicted the rush on ammo and guns would last six to eight months and then we'd see a return to more reasonable prices and availability. In some areas, this seems to be happening. Others, not so much. What are you guys seeing where you shop?
    Target Sports

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I walked into one of the lgs here and they had tons of primers. The other store I go to has had ammo for a while. Not always the same stuff but I have picked up lots of 223 and 45 from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Cabelas in Allen seems to be moving back toward normalcy. Their ammunition stocks haven't quite gone back to the way they were, but you can at least find .223 and .45ACP on the shelves lately - and more AR-15's than they can sell.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Pretty much always bought in bulk and online for the majority of my ammo, but Academy here has had good supply as of a few weeks ago, but with limit, of course.
    The major online vendors have seemed to leveled off as far as pricing on most calibers. Not quite what it was before December, and honestly, I'm not sure if it will ever be back there, but overall it's better.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Academy at the forum here in San Antonio has gotten high on their pricing in the last few weeks or so. Bought 9mm week before Father's Day for $15/50 and today it was $21/50, and 45acp went from $37/100 to $50/100. They did have 100rd bucket of Tulammo BrassMAXX for about $27.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I think that it is slowly working it's way back to getting better. Of course, not as fast as we would all like.

msmac327

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    We go to Freedom Munitions here in Houston to buy our ammo. So far, we have had a breeze of a time getting our 9mm rounds. Around $18 for 50, $17 if you buy 500.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Anyone seeing 22lr coming back with reasonable prices (like $20 a brick) anywhere? That's the metric for "things getting better" so far as I'm concerned. Still kicking myself for not keeping 10K of that around. Never thought I would ever see 22 disappear...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Anyone seeing 22lr coming back with reasonable prices (like $20 a brick) anywhere? That's the metric for "things getting better" so far as I'm concerned. Still kicking myself for not keeping 10K of that around. Never thought I would ever see 22 disappear...

I've started seeing 22 at some Academy stores for $.04 a round, but it's only been in the 50 rd boxes and they limit is one per day. My daughter finds 100 rd boxes there, which kind of pisses me off, but she's always had good luck.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I really like how I can go into the Webster Academy and buy most anything unusual. Took me months early last year to find decent priced 6.5 Swedish, not so now. Same with .303 and .45-70 now they are overflowing the shelves. How about .32 ACP, yup good defense loads available. They have always had .300 and 7mm Win Mag.

I find it funny how these guys must have bought out the warehouses of all the 'obsolete' ammo to stock the shelves.

Did score a couple of boxes of .22 LR there yesterday. :)

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I really like how I can go into the Webster Academy and buy most anything unusual.

Did score a couple of boxes of .22 LR there yesterday. :)

Did you have to get there before the store opened, to get the 22 ammo?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Its starting to get better. I actually have been buying 9mm and for the first time in a year they had hornady critical defense and 380 auto ammo. I saw a whole shelf full of window pmags, also academy seems to be gearing more towards tactical. They had 5 ar rifles. Still no 22 though.

CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    I buy the vast majority of my ammo online. It has gotten much much better in the last few months. My first few purchases, I was happy to get 9mm for 70 cents per round. I just made a purchase yesterday for just under 40 cpr, and that was for PMC which has been an excellent ammo in my experience. That's a huge difference in the span of ~4 months.

If you look at ammoseek, it seems a number of small manufacturers/merchants are jumping in the market with re-loaded, as well as unknown and "economy" brands such as Wolf. Some of these are occasionally going down to 30 cpr. This has been having the effect of driving down the price of other brands.
    This seems even more the case for 45 ACP; I followed that for several months, and at times that was knocking on a dollar per round. I've only started purchasing it the last week when I got a Glock 21 Gen 4. The floor has dropped out on that even more than 9mm.

It seems to go in waves as well. PMC is more available now, at good prices, but Fiocchi has dried up a bit at least in terms of good deals for 9mm.

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    this

there is improvement but it's barely noticeable - and relevant depending on where you are or are not
    From where I'm sitting, it's definitely noticeable. It's not obviously showing up in stores just yet, but internet retailers are starting to have much better availability in the last six weeks or so. I've placed two orders for the high-demand handgun calibers in the last few couple of weeks, and received both quickly.

The price is still pretty high, though. More than double what it cost me last time for 9mm, and from what I can recall, about 30 to 40% higher for the .45 than it was back in October, when last I actually bought ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I picked up 3 boxes of .223 at Walmart this morning for <$6/20. Tula ammo.

Not a big deal except that I had pretty much given up going there because it was always gone as soon as it hit the shelf.

Found this at 10am and still had 3 boxes and some 7.62x39 on the shelf.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Definitely! ...and the longer you wait, the cheaper it will get. I was buying milsurp XM855 at <$.30 a round in December. It will get there again... eventually. Just stop buying it so the retailers are forced to stop gouging.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Did you have to get there before the store opened, to get the 22 ammo?

No it was late afternoon.

We did hit a few Academy's this weekend.

Pasadena: 2 boxes .223 Tula
    Webster: 2 boxes .223 Tula, 2 .22LR Federal.
    Conroe: 2 boxes .22 LR Thunderbolts, 2 boxes .223 Tula.
    Woodlands: (new) 2 boxes .223 Tula.
    Woodlands: (old) Nothing.
    I-45/West Road: 2 boxes .223 Tula

The last 4 were all visited from 8:30 until 10:00 pm Saturday night.

We were searching for more .30 carbine (no limits on that caliber) and previous places we got lucky were all sold out. Did not have any issues finding the 12 gauge slugs and buckshot we were after either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Stopped by academy in Waco today looking for some .308 match.

They had a pretty good supply in the caliber. 5 different brands and types for hunting. All well stocked. A few boxes of federal GMM but in 175gr and a good supply of Winchester Match 168gr HPBT. I just wasn't willing to spend $38/box.

Also had some .45 ACP, .40 S&amp;W, and .223/5.56.

All had a fairly good supply. They get their shipment on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. So this was a two day old stock.

Top Bottom