• ...and so much more!
  • bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    This weekend I had the pleasure of working on a shotgun I had never seen before. Now I really love my Winchester pumps, in 12ga, but a co worker brought her husbands Winchester to me. It was a Model 42 Standard Grade Pump. I, in my 30 years of gunsmithing had never even seen one much less smithed on one. This one was completely disassembled as her husband decided to take it upon himself to do so.....then realized he did not know how to put it back together. The cool factor for me was that it was a Winchester pump, in .410, something that I have never seen anywhere. Oh I have seen quite a few single shots, over and under's and even a few semi auto's in .410, but not a pump. The gun was in excellent shape for its age. After inspecting all the parts I cleaned, lubed and reassembled the gun and put 4 rounds through it. Just like my two 12ga. guns, the action was silky smooth and ran like a Singer Sewing Machine. The gun was in what I consider to be 90% on the blueing and wood finish. I told the owner that if he ever got a wild hair to sell it I would like to have it and would give him a more than fair amount for it.......fingers crossed that he will part with it!!! I apologize but I did not take any pictures of it.
    ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Winchester Model 42 is a wonderful shotgun. Their value on the collector market shows it too.
    If you ever get the chance to shoot one with the aftermarket installed ventilated rib it’s fantastic.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Maybe they are not so rare as I was thinking.....prior to last week I had never seen one and I go to a lot of Gun Shows here in Texas. I do know that I like that Winchester and would love to have it!! I agree that ventilated rib would surely dress it up.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Yes I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I need to find that small .410 shotgun I saw many years ago that looks like a mini 12 gauge tactical pump action shotgun.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

Wondering why the title of this thread is The Almost Forgotten .410!

High quality shotguns in .410 bore, in any action, often are in high demand and usually bring a premium simply because they are .410 bore. It always amazes me how much a high quality .410 bore gun will sell for as compared to a 12, 20, or 16 gauge of the same model.

There is a very nice Winchester 42 in .410 bore for sale on GunBroker, see https://www.gunbroker.com/item/931834900. Currently, it has a high bid of $1,425.00 but since there are 5 days & a few hours left in that auction (as I type) you can bet it will sell for a good amount more. There are lots of other .410 pump guns currently for sale on GunBroker with a nice variety of makes & models from which to choose, see https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=.410 pump&Sort=13&PageSize=96. They certainly have not been almost forgotten by the folks selling or buying them. :)

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    What I was saying is, if you look in "most" gun stores, gun shows you will not find many if any .410 pumps any more, compared to the 12ga. and 20ga. guns that are so plentiful. That's why I titled it the way I did. I don't do a lot of internet shopping for guns, especially used guns, because I like to put my hands on what I am planning to buy. Just the old nature of my ways. I rarely go to Gunbroker, but I see what you are talking about. I guess I should have have added a ? to the end of the title.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Just happen to have one.
    d02b2d3368d897ff872419897dddf8e1.jpg

9583004fd603fb83729a2e0d1d5cdc8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    @bigtex10mm - Glad you started this thread. I got that one from my wife's family. Her dad (89 and going ok) has a plethora of .410 shotguns. He used them a lot for training bird dogs. I used to have a Beretta single shot that had a "trigger" for breaking it open. He carried that on a saddle holster during quail hunting field trials. He ended up buying a bunch of really nice SxS English shotguns in .410. No need to hump 12 gauge ammo around if you're accurate. His .410's killed a lot of quail.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My father has an interesting little SxS 410 shotgun, that was bought in the late 1960's by my grandfather. A Felix Sarasqueta that was imported by FIE. Knowing my grandfather, it was probably the least expensive shotgun that he felt would serve his purposes for that shotgun.

very similar to this one for sale.

On most auction sites, the 410's usually are double the asking price than the same shotgun in 12 or 20.

Top Bottom