• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • taodoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I took a friend and our kids to Lone Star for the first time yesterday. We had a blast! It was exactly the range I was hoping it would be. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the other shooters, the same. The kids were really impressed with some of the firearms guys were shooting and the other shooters were more than happy to show them their weapons and rounds (creating big smiles).

We (my two boys and I) joined for the year and look forward to going back the next time.

Thanks also to the staff for the BBQ recommendation. We stuffed ourselves at Black's prior to heading back to Austin.
    Military Camp

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I just got back from Lone Star, i LOVED it. They allow rapid, as fast and you can shoot as long as you stay on the paper. I really enjoyed the whole place, was a little muddy but other than that i had no issues. Their ammo prices are very cheap compared to retail. .308 super match was $30 a box, .223 brass was $10 for 20 round box, .45ACP was $20 for 50 rounds. I will definitely shoot there any time i wanna shot while up here in Austin.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I took a class at CTPTA (Lone Star Shooting Range) and I was very happy with the folks that run the place, I didn't get to see much on the range while I was there as the only range time I had was the Qual shoot. I give it a big A+ and I would shoot there if it weren't for living north of Austin.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They really are the best place anywhere around Austin IMO. Go draw from the holster, mag dump your guns as fast as possible, which you can't really do at any of the other ranges nearby, then go get some awesome BBQ down in Lockhart. :)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They really are the best place anywhere around Austin IMO. Go draw from the holster, mag dump your guns as fast as possible, which you can't really do at any of the other ranges nearby, then go get some awesome BBQ down in Lockhart. :)

I agree, I've never had a bad time at Lone Star.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    yes sir

One more vote for Lone Star. Matt is a great guy and it seems like the range gets better each time I'm out there.
    live in kyle used to go to reds untill took the chl class out there. I just love that place. only place i will shoot:patriot:

dhondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Austin
    Can anybody tell me if Lone Star has any rifle range over 100 yrds, Im working up a .308 load and would like to take it beyond 100 yrds.Thanks.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    I don't know why I hear so many good things about this range. It's an ok range at best, the benches are two feet apart from each other and the guy charges $50 for a transfer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't know why I hear so many good things about this range. It's an ok range at best, the benches are two feet apart from each other and the guy charges $50 for a transfer.

Because there is no other place you can practice drawing, rapid fire, etc. within a 30 min. drive. The rates are reasonable ($105 to shoot all year).

They charge $25 for transfers if you have a CHL.

+1 on Chisolm > Blacks. I'm still a huge fan of Kreutz's for the sausage ... there is no better on this planet.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    love that range. only been there a couple of times doing some practice with some interesting fellows. had a blast. drawing and firing sidearm -> handgun transition and the other way around. running double triple tap drills, they didnt mind us yelling commands at targets etc. i need to go back there some time. but it always takes me forever to find that freakin road.

it definatly is tucked away. :)

that map they have SUCKS
    lol whats the point if it isnt to scale? i mean honestly who drew that thing? LOL

awesome range.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    love that range. only been there a couple of times doing some practice with some interesting fellows. had a blast. drawing and firing sidearm -> handgun transition and the other way around. running double triple tap drills, they didnt mind us yelling commands at targets etc. i need to go back there some time. but it always takes me forever to find that freakin road.

it definatly is tucked away. :)

that map they have SUCKS
    lol whats the point if it isnt to scale? i mean honestly who drew that thing? LOL

awesome range.

Hey you gotta think GPS,GPS.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    GPS works fine. I've used it to get there often.
    If you've been there once, then the GPS is just basically a reminder/guide anyway.
    That's how I use it. To remind me which road is coming up, etc.

And if you still can't find it - call me.
    If I'm not busy, I'll lead you to it for a box of ammo, or a barbecue plate afterwards.
    Any excuse to shoot and grub!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmmm maybe either before or after a Blog Sanctioned Meal we could do a follow up match at lonestar... kindof a drive, but it is worth IMHO to have an excuse to hit lonestar lol.

Top Bottom