• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Are they charging the full 8.25% to include city and county sales tax, or just the 6.25% state sales tax?

I have never figured out how Amazon calculates the sales tax. Sometimes it is not even 6.25%. Just like a random figure they add on just so they can say they collected tax.
    Guns International

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Should have invested in the software companies that are providing the software to keep up with all the tax rates from the different States....

Different states?!?? Hell - try different areas of each city!!!! IIRC, I have like 5 or 6 different tax codes for the City of San Antonio alone! It's absolutely ludicrous the way they have all these special districts/special tax structures within ONE city. I can't just say "Customer X lives in B City, so his tax rate is Y." I HAVE to look and see what taxing entities exist at his specific STREET address in order to avoid a problem. Trust me - this is gonna be a living nightmare for the smaller online shops.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Are they charging the full 8.25% to include city and county sales tax, or just the 6.25% state sales tax?

For the little I researched it seems to fluctuate accordingly. I'm seeing 8.25 or round that for my address and using an address in Marathon (Just a random out there address) tax was slightly above the 6.25 rate.

Interesting side note. Messing around with addresses over at PSA and for some reason my rate went from 8.25 for my home to 6.25ish with the Marathon address and when I switched back to my real address my sales tax due went down to .70 cents for a $209 order.

I think I broke the tax figure-outer thingy. :evil:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    For the little I researched it seems to fluctuate accordingly. I'm seeing 8.25 or round that for my address and using an address in Marathon (Just a random out there address) tax was slightly above the 6.25 rate.

Looking at other vendors now, I'm also seeing that some are just charging the flat 8.25%ish for all locations.

So to correct my answer to Bozz's post:

It depends!! :banghead:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Can this action save the dying Local Gun Store?

It can certainly close the gap. I do 90% of my purchases from the shops near me. I value their presence, and the information I can get. Besides - they'll often have guns you might otherwise never see......picked up a drilling several years back that I love to shoot - 16 gauge over a 7x57RJ that I managed to find cartridges for.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    From my point of view, probably not. Even with sales tax, firearms online are less expensive. And the ammo selection in the LGS can not match the variety or prices found online.

I agree, it will probably make me look a little more at local prices for some gun purchases just out if curiosity, but other wise won't truly add too much to my overall costs. However, that doesn't mean I won't bitch about it. :p

Top Bottom