May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX

Chick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2021
    Orange
    True.

Many people think you must have your Driver's License with you to drive.

Not true. For 40 years I've just told them my Name & Address when pulled over without my D.L.

Some cops would lie and say I needed to have the D.L. on me. I just said "Will Do Boss", and they looked me up on the computer.

Chick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2021
    Orange
    True.

Many people think you must have your Driver's License with you to drive.

Not true. For 40 years I've just told them my Name & Address when pulled over without my D.L.

Some cops would lie and say I needed to have the D.L. on me. I just said "Will Do Boss", and they looked me up on the computer.
    Wrong. You just got lucky. In the state of Texas you have to haveca valid drivers license on your person to operate a motor vehicle. Also, in the state of Texas, if you have a LTC, and you are asked to identify yourself by a LEO, you must present your LTC and your Drivers License together.

Why not obey the law?

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Supposed to have a LICENSE to drive on public roads. That IS your I.D. No change, except illegals will be arrested, and dipshits with suspended licenses

Let's not leave out the Sovereign Citizens who get stopped for bogus license plate which they say to cops they don't need a DL because they are traveling not driving and not operating a commercial vehicle. Ton of YouTube videos showing them trying to talk themselves out of getting ticket/jail but often results in busted window and dragged out in cuffs. They all seem to have the stupid gene.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Wrong. You just got lucky. In the state of Texas you have to haveca valid drivers license on your person to operate a motor vehicle. Also, in the state of Texas, if you have a LTC, and you are asked to identify yourself by a LEO, you must present your LTC and your Drivers License together.

Why not obey the law?
    First of all, this is only if you are carrying a handgun at the time. Second, you don't need a LTC anymore to carry a handgun (in most places), so if ID is "demanded" (that's the language in the law), I'll just say either, I'm not carrying or I don't have my DL and LTC on me, whichever is the case. What are they going to do about it?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    First of all, this is only if you are carrying a handgun at the time. Second, you don't need a LTC anymore to carry a handgun (in most places), so if ID is "demanded" (that's the language in the law), I'll just say either, I'm not carrying or I don't have my DL and LTC on me, whichever is the case. What are they going to do about it?
    You'll get a fat ticket for no DL while operating a motor vehicle on a public road or highway and or be hassled for your efforts.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Supposed to have a LICENSE to drive on public roads. That IS your I.D. No change, except illegals will be arrested, and dipshits with suspended licenses
    Another interesting thing I found out
    You'll get a fat ticket for no DL while operating a motor vehicle on a public road or highway and or be hassled for your efforts.
    Yes. I meant if you weren’t driving..

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Write you a ticket... that's what is likely to happen.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Another interesting thing I found out

Yes. I meant if you weren’t driving..
    If you cannot be identified well enough for the the officer to be satisfied of swearing to your identity in court, you may get arrested and brough before the magistrate rather than being released with a ticket (your signed promise to return to the magistrate (court) later.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    If you cannot be identified well enough for the the officer to be satisfied of swearing to your identity in court, you may get arrested and brough before the magistrate rather than being released with a ticket (your signed promise to return to the magistrate (court) later.

Yes I understand that for driving, my point was somewhat off topic in that I meant if you're not driving a car, you have no obligation to produce identification, nor even interact with the police.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Still, there are quite a number of cops (per YouTube videos I've watched) who think even if one isn't driving, but simply, innocently walking/cycling can demand ID of a citizen...without cause, who'll go ballistic if a person doesn't immediately produce ID.

I guess actual knowledge of the law passed them by...

We don't live in WW2 Germany, but there are bullies out there who apparently don't know about gestapo history, but do their best to emulate them.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If asked for an ID it is easier to provide it, than be fingerprinted in a holding cell to obtain identification.

Other than a licensed activity like driving, you are not require to provide a physical ID, so no legal arrest is possible. And if illegally arrested,. you still are not required to present a physical ID.

I myself do not provide physical ID unless it is required or I want something really bad and have to show it to get it.

Top Bottom