• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I dont know if it is true and i looked at all of the laws and i cant find it but do you have to be a registered voter in the state of Texas to have a concealed handgun permit? Also do you have to be living in the state for at least 6 months? I was asking questions at work and an gentlemen stated these and was very stern about them being true. thank you
    Venture Surplus ad

Glenmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Hello gladi8r,

It's not required that you be a registered voter. (Although it's probably a good idea to be a voter and help protect ones 2nd amendment rights but that's for another thread:D.)

Here's the info from the DPS web site:

To be eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun, a person must meet the following requirements:
    (1) an applicant must have been a resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application, relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state, or must be eligible for a non-resident license as provided by the Act;

You can get more detailed information from the DPS at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm .

Hope this helps.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I have been here since january 21 but i have had my license since feb so does that mean i dont qualify just yet or do i qualify cause i am a resendent due to my license. I was thinking that you had to be here for 6 months to be considered a resident with an out of state license. I dunno its pretty confusing

Glenmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Best bet would be to ask your CHL instructor.

Seems to me you've met this part of the requirement:
    "relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state"

BTW, welcome to Texas.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Best bet would be to ask your CHL instructor.

Seems to me you've met this part of the requirement:
    "relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state"

BTW, welcome to Texas.

Yea I think so also and thanks for the welcome i love the State it sure is freindly

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You do not have to be a resident for six months to obtain a Texas CHL. A resident of ANY state can obtain a Texas CHL.

To obtain a resident CHL, you just need to sign off on a affidavit that you intend to be a resident.

Texas Government Code

411.173. Nonresident License.

(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a) (1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state.

411.172. Eligibility.

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

Texas Administrative Code

TITLE 37PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONSPART 1TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETYCHAPTER 6LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNSSUBCHAPTER BELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURESRULE §6.11

To be eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun, a person must meet the following requirements:
    (1) an applicant must have been a resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application, relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state, or must be eligible for a non-resident license as provided by the Act

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I just thought I would add my two cents.

I am neither a Texas resident, or even a US citizen (and hence I am not a voter) and I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License.
    I obtained my CHL whilst a I was a non voting, non U.S., but Texas, resident.
    I moved to L.A. for a year and duly notified DPS of my address in L.A. and got a replacement card with my California address on it. I'm now moving 'home' to Texas.

I dont know if it is true and i looked at all of the laws and i cant find it but do you have to be a registered voter in the state of Texas to have a concealed handgun permit? Also do you have to be living in the state for at least 6 months? I was asking questions at work and an gentlemen stated these and was very stern about them being true. thank you

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    chrisp
    Top Bottom