Capitol Armory ad

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Could be wrong, but an AR pistol, even though it is classified as a pistol, is still treated like a rifle. IE, can be open carried on a sling, one point sling or traditional
    No, a pistol needs a holster, even when it is silly.
    A sling on an AR pistol would be no different than a lanyard on a traditional handgun, i.e. not a holster.

That said, its not something I am exactly concerned about unless I have to be. For all I know it is a rifle or a SBR with a brace because you broke your stock.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    No, a pistol needs a holster, even when it is silly.
    A sling on an AR pistol would be no different than a lanyard on a traditional handgun, i.e. not a holster.

That said, its not something I am exactly concerned about unless I have to be. For all I know it is a rifle or a SBR with a brace because you broke your stock.

And local cops don't enforce the NFA (or shouldn't...) so do they care if its a registered SBR or not?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    And local cops don't enforce the NFA (or shouldn't...) so do they care if its a registered SBR or not?

See that video from the jackass in OK. Joe Citizen calls in man with a rifle because he doesn’t know the difference between an AR pistol and an AR rifle and you end up with a high octane LEO encounter. In those situations, the letter of the law can become moot.

Last edited:

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I have not had time to completely discect the HB 1927, but in a basic sense: Same rules that apply to current LTC holders apply to anyone. Issues specific to licenseless carry: any peace office can disarm and hold you to check out why you are carrying but they do ahve to return firearm and unless they can prove a criminal intent they have to release. One issue is open carry might be a problem:
    "(a-5) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster."

This leaves open the question what is intentionally displaying? Might be one for the next legislature to clear up.

Overall, keep it hidden, keep it sane and all is well

If enough LTC holders open carry and run the risk of being carded by LEO, eventually the LEOs will get tired of checking... That’s one reason I open carry - for others’ sake. I don’t particularly fear officers outside of my car (had a few negative experiences in small towns looking for $$$ in the past in cars - won in court, but still sucked).
    I’ve open carried most of the last few years and have never been stopped to check my LTC status - never.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We will have to live with it for now but We need to develop a laundry list of improvements for them to inact in the next session

Believe me - TSRA's already talking about it. They're waiting on final verbiage, then we'll be dissecting it w/attorneys. There's also the strong possibility that some of the provisions aren't going to be enforceable because they're not going to be legal - personally, I think the ability for an LEO to stop me simply because I have a gun is going to be found illegal...felt that way when I first saw it, but frankly figured to let 'em put it in if it makes 'em feel good and either get it removed later, or let the courts tell 'em to.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You are correct, the real issue ongoing will be just how peace officers decide to enforce the law at their level. If rank and file LEOs treat CC as a non issue then it should be a good thing. The real problem will be police chiefs, city councils, mayors, sheriffs who do not like the idea of CC and put pressure on their employees to pressure those who CC.

Much as the City of SA did back in the 90's when they were pushing their "no carrying of loaded "Assault Weapons" in your vehicle. Tried for several years to get arrested for it, but even the beat cops KNEW it was bogus. I coulda been a rich man...lol

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    State law prohibits NFA items (felony) unless you have a federal tax stamp...

Don't forget it is only a defense to prosecution if you have a stamp. You can still be arrested. Technically. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Another one of the reasons I haven't bothered with nfa items. I don't have time for that!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Don't forget it is only a defense to prosecution if you have a stamp. You can still be arrested. Technically. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Another one of the reasons I haven't bothered with nfa items. I don't have time for that!
    I want a suppressor though...
    Isn't it interesting that in some countries they are a requirement? It's a law that you must have one.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I want a suppressor though...
    Isn't it interesting that in some countries they are a requirement? It's a law that you must have one.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Defense was removed a few years ago and it is now non-applicable.

Top Bottom