• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I am starting a push to allow suppressors to be legal to use when hunting game animals in Texas (deer hunting). Some other states have recently allowed this. It is already too late to be introduced in this current session. I have already been in contact with some of my representatives. This gives them time to start feeling out what some others think and digest it a little.
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really hope you can make some headway on it. Using a suppressor while hunting makes a ton of sense to me. Just curious, but what's the opposing argument other than "they are evil"?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I really hope you can make some headway on it. Using a suppressor while hunting makes a ton of sense to me. Just curious, but what's the opposing argument other than "they are evil"?

Poaching, although that's not really going to stop or encourage poaching since well ... it's illegal to shoot them with a suppressed gun and it's illegal to poach.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Hunting with suppressors is legal in Texas for non game animals such as feral hogs. You can use laser sights, night vision, thermal imaging, by whatever means you have the legal ownership of a firearm. All BATF permits apply.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX

Most people don't know that suppressors are not silencers. To get a weapon really quiet cost a couple thousand dollars. People who spend this much money typically don't go out poaching.

sirrah243

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    North Texas
    Feral hogs... kill em all, whatever way you please, but deer hunting with supressors? I don't see how that could be a good idea.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Feral hogs... kill em all, whatever way you please, but deer hunting with supressors? I don't see how that could be a good idea.

I have lost game because someone else a distance away fires and spooks my game before i can get my shot off. If we could use suppressors for hunting then that deer coming into my scope would have died too and i would have had a good meal.

sirrah243

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    North Texas
    Poaching with unsuppressed firearms is a big enough problem, legalizing hunting with suppressed firearms I think would make the problem worse. No I don't deer hunt with ear protection. Birds yes but not deer. I usually only shoot once and I am concentrating so I don't really hear the shot. I can't say that I've ever had a shot from a distance away spook my game. I kind of like sitting in the blind and hearing a shop from a distance and then the pop after the shot knowing that someone got one. I'm not against suppressed firearms I just don't think deer hunting with them is a good idea. Non game animals sure why not they are not a regulated resource.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Poaching with unsuppressed firearms is a big enough problem, legalizing hunting with suppressed firearms I think would make the problem worse. No I don't deer hunt with ear protection. Birds yes but not deer. I usually only shoot once and I am concentrating so I don't really hear the shot. I can't say that I've ever had a shot from a distance away spook my game. I kind of like sitting in the blind and hearing a shop from a distance and then the pop after the shot knowing that someone got one. I'm not against suppressed firearms I just don't think deer hunting with them is a good idea. Non game animals sure why not they are not a regulated resource.
    So poaching is your only concern? What about Tx1911s point that poaching is already illegal? Banning suppressors would have no more effect on poaching than anti carry laws have on murder.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    So, just because they are illegal to hunt with now, and um poaching is illegal, what makes you think the illegal poachers aren't using them now?? Isn't this the same argument, just different? I mean, illegal is illegal, and by taking away rights of the people that won't use them for illegal purposes is just plain ole stupid..

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's just it... The poachers are already doing something illegal, therefore they aren't concerned with the law and the fact that hunting with a suppressor is illegal probably doesn't stop the ones inclined to so from doing right it now. I highly doubt a poacher would go through the rigmarole to get a NFA stamp for a suppressor so they could be "half legal".

I'm not at all concerned with poachers or spooking other game. I am very concerned with my hearing however. Hunting with hearing protection is a huge disadvantage, but if you shoot without it you'll end up ruining that resource. It's a catch22. I know many suppressors aren't "hearing safe", but they are better than nothing.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I really don't think that there is that much poaching going on with suppressors. If you are caught with one that does not have a permit that is a federal crime. I think it is a minimum of 10 years without parole. I talked to a couple Texas Game Wardens about this and it pretty much is a non issue to them. They really don't have a problem with hunting with suppressors just as long as you have it permitted with the BATF. Personally I would not press my luck.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Why not make poaching illegal? That should solve the problem. At least that's the type argument put forth by anti-gunners.

On another note. I shoot probably 25,000 rounds a year and I use ear protection but I don't when hunting. I figure one more shot isn't going to hurt after 65 years.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I'm not worried about deer hunting issues or hearing loss. I just think suppressors should be legal for hunting because, if I'm not doing anything wrong
    why should anyone be able to tell me what I can or can't use. Funny, in many anti-gun European countries there's no problem buying suppressors for
    hunting or range use.

Top Bottom