• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    About a year ago I signed up for TLS after weighing the odds of using a CCW. Recently there has been an article about the dealing of TLS and it got me wondering if I made the right decision. I do not have an attorney for anything that may happen if using my CCW so it seemed like a good idea at the time. But then after spending more time reading through more threads on the topic I am beginning to think it was a rash and paranoid decision to make. I understand that it is insurance in some regards but then after reading through what is really covered in this plan it ain't much and it doesn't seem like I really need it. $17 a month isn't a budget breaker but then again I hate wasting money on things I just don't need.

thoughts?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Maybe a phone number others don't have. But Iam pretty sure it doesn't pay for said Attorney fees. A business card would do the same for free....

Then you'd be pretty wrong.

If you “use” a firearm in Texas under the Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program, our program attorneys will represent you in any legal proceeding (criminal or civil), for zero additional attorneys’ fees. This includes all criminal charges arising from a “use” of a gun.

Police Investigations
    Grand Jury Proceedings
    Trial, both Criminal and Civil

It is important to note the exclusions/add-ons:

While our services are quite comprehensive, the following are not covered: appeals, expert witness fees, governmental fees of any type, investigator fees, or bail bonds. However, members have the option to enroll in the Bail Bond/Expert Witness program.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    *removed by poster*
    Not sure what it would take for me to feel ok about paying for this service.
    The words from their website do not fill me with an over abundance of confidence
    that I wouldn't still experience *a lot* of out-of-pocket expense.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's not really lawyer fee "insurance" per se

According to the description and terms of the product/service being purchased, it is in fact 'lawyer fee insurance.'

How can you ever be assured you've got the biggest, badest, meanest, junkyard dog of a lawyer on your side?

That's part of the problem. You can't. You get - literally - what you pay for. Not that these services couldn't have great attorneys, but you don't always get to pick. Depending on the situation, that could be okay or it could be bad.

I can't see this being bad for getting things started, though, and being represented from minute one. The fact that for TLS an attorney answers the phone makes that phone call's contents protected. For a first-call service, that's important to know... are you talking to an attorney or a receptionist?

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Or one could find said "JunkYard Dog" Attorney that specializes in firearm type legal situations and have His/her phone number in wallet. I wouldn't want just anyone picked to represent me during a serious life or death situation. Heck maybe TLS is legit for the 17$ a month fee and who knows, I was just giving the OP food for thought as he asked...

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Or one could find said "JunkYard Dog" Attorney that specializes in firearm type legal situations and have His/her phone number in wallet. I wouldn't want just anyone picked to represent me during a serious life or death situation.

Having his phone number vs. having his defense already covered are two different things.

Your second point about "just anyone" is absolutely valid. "Mystery meat" isn't necessarily the safest choice when you need a criminal defense attorney, nor is someone from out of your region. Might work out, might not, which means you might be convicted, might not.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    According to the description and terms of the product/service being purchased, it is in fact 'lawyer fee insurance.'

That's part of the problem. You can't. You get - literally - what you pay for. Not that these services couldn't have great attorneys, but you don't always get to pick. Depending on the situation, that could be okay or it could be bad.

I can't see this being bad for getting things started, though, and being represented from minute one. The fact that for TLS an attorney answers the phone makes that phone call's contents protected. For a first-call service, that's important to know... are you talking to an attorney or a receptionist?

One of the things that I think everyone is banking on is the perception of service through their reputation. It would take just one bad deal of representation for their entire scheme to take a major hit. I wouldn't want to be that guy but what else can anyone really say? Its true that the average Joe does not have tens of thousands of dollars to protect himself for prosecution in these cases so where else do you go? I did buy the add on option since the extra buck or so a month seemed ludicrous not to include. I'm still on the fence of whether or not I need this "insurance" so I'll keep it for now.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you are not comfortable with it don't have it. However, why carry a gun if you think you will never need it? I carry a gun, I suspect some day I will need it. How will I pay for an attorney? They don't cover experts or appeals? Well, if I don't have TLS or SOMEONE, then I will still be out of pocket for those services AND for an attorney. How the hell am I going to pay for THAT?

If I shoot some asshole in my house tonight at zero dark thirty, who will I call? Who will represent me? Shall I search Google and pray someone answers the phone?

No thanks, I will keep TLS. Chance favors the prepared mind.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    If I shoot some $#@! in my house tonight at zero dark thirty, who will I call? Who will represent me? Shall I search Google and pray someone answers the phone?

No thanks, I will keep TLS. Chance favors the prepared mind.
    Or like I stated contact a well known Attorney ahead of time whom specializes in this kind of work, get all needed contacts, put in wallet and save the 17$ a month. Which "Is" what the OP was questioning....

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    Or like I stated contact a well known Attorney ahead of time whom specializes in this kind of work, get all needed contacts, put in wallet and save the 17$ a month. Which "Is" what the OP was questioning....

This is the right answer.

TLS is for those, IMHO, who do not know an attorney. Having TLS still does not negate the rule :"Shut up. Wait to talk to AN attorney."

If you need an attorney, call one that you know. If HE can't help, he can at least get you to someone who can.

TRG

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

TLS is for those, IMHO, who do not know an attorney. Having TLS still does not negate the rule :"Shut up. Wait to talk to AN attorney."

TLS is for those who don't have the money to PAY for an attorney outright and can buy a prospectively needed attorney $17/month, one month at a time.

It's more than a referral service, it's a payment source.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    That's great, except said well known attorney, is under zero obligation to represent you, or even answer the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ..... However, why carry a gun if you think you will never need it? I carry a gun, I suspect some day I will need it. How will I pay for an attorney?

Valid comparison, however I carry and hope I will never need it. Appeals I'm not so sure I'd be concerned about, but expert witnesses are another story. And those can be very expensive for not doing much work at all. Which leaves room for add on fees to help pad the pockets of the lawyers. Not accusing anyone here, just saying I don't trust lawyers.

Sounds good on paper. The tricky part is finding these "well known" attorneys who have a good reputation and are pro gun. It would be nice if there were a list somewhere.

Then again, maybe they all joined TLS so they don't advertise individually.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kbansal98
    Top Bottom