Hurley's Gold

Texas law concerning rifles and walking??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Hi,

I have 2 properties along a normally empty County dirt road.. (Chispa by FM2017). They are about 4 miles apart. I am putting a mobile home on 1 and using the other for hunting.

What is the law regarding RIFLES and walking from 1 property to the other with rifles in PLAIN VIEW?? I figure this goes in the hunting section and you folks may know.

Also, can I carry a loaded pistol in a SHOWING holster while also performing said walk??
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Perfectly legal to carry the rifles. The pistol can be showing if you are walking from your home to the hunting grounds, or back.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Didn't we just cover the rifle thing? LOL... Didn't know about the open carry part with the pistol, so good info... So, is there a max distantance that one can travel from there home to area they will be hunting as far as having the pistol showing during the transportation? What about a person that lives in Downtown Austin, and walks to hunting area in Leander, TX with pistol showing? still legal?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I saw folks walking around with rifles and pistols OCing Downtown Houston. They were traveling to and from disperse parking areas to the gunshow at George R Brown Convention center. As Texas law does not distinguish between a loaded and unloaded firearm it didn't matter.

This would be "risky" on a Monday but perfectly normal on a Saturday. If there were any problems I didn't see them.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    There will always be those that want to take an extreme position and test the law...good luck on your walk from downtown Austin to Leander.

Come on TC2, let's be real, I am way to smart to do such a thing legal or not... I asked this out of curiosity... Do you know the answer or not? My question is based on weather or not city vs rural applies here... Obviously the OP is speaking of a rural location.. Just wanted to see if it's the same in the city, and what the distance restriction would be if any... I feel it is a legitimate question.. Not stirring any pots here... If that were the case I might throw in a what if, like what if on the way to the hunting area the person needs to stop off to get something for said hunt.. IE, stopping at a gas station for a bottle of water, etc..etc.. though I really feel that is legit as well, since it could be a long walk and they may not have water bottles at there home...but a little far fetched, so that is why I didn't include it in the original question...

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I saw folks walking around with rifles and pistols OCing Downtown Houston. They were traveling to and from disperse parking areas to the gunshow at George R Brown Convention center. As Texas law does not distinguish between a loaded and unloaded firearm this would be "risky" on a Monday but perfectly normal on a Saturday. If there were any problems I didn't see them.

distance between parking and GRB Convention Center? See, that is good to know as well...didn't know Texas does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded..

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Come on TC2, let's be real, I am way to smart to do such a thing legal or not... I asked this out of curiosity... Do you know the answer or not? My question is based on weather or not city vs rural applies here... Obviously the OP is speaking of a rural location.. Just wanted to see if it's the same in the city, and what the distance restriction would be if any... I feel it is a legitimate question.. Not stirring any pots here... If that were the case I might throw in a what if, like what if on the way to the hunting area the person needs to stop off to get something for said hunt.. IE, stopping at a gas station for a bottle of water, etc..etc.. though I really feel that is legit as well, since it could be a long walk and they may not have water bottles at there home...but a little far fetched, so that is why I didn't include it in the original question...
    I'm not aiming any jabs at you...sorry if it came across that way. I am just saying that some sort of reasonable judgement has to be made. I tend to ask myself, what would a jury of my peers think. You can plug in any law you want, but can you convince them (a jury) and a judge that what you were doing was in accordance with the letter and spirit of the law? I would say if you are walking several hundred yards or even across dozens of acres an arguement could be made to support your carrying in relation to getting to or from your hunting place. If you are walking from Beaumont to El Paso...probably not.
    Laws are black and white, the interpretation of them sometimes isn't, especially on ones that are seldom used.

My comment on those wanting to test the laws wasn't directed at you...just pointing out that someone somewhere always wants to. Its not always a bad thing that they do. Some laws need to be tested from time to time.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Didn't we just cover the rifle thing? LOL... Didn't know about the open carry part with the pistol, so good info... So, is there a max distantance that one can travel from there home to area they will be hunting as far as having the pistol showing during the transportation? What about a person that lives in Downtown Austin, and walks to hunting area in Leander, TX with pistol showing? still legal?

Walking (or driving or whatever) from your premises to a hunting ground is an exception to 46.02, separate from the traveling exception. As long as you are "en route" you can legally carry openly or concealed without a license. Doesn't mean you won't be detained by Austin Police.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Walking (or driving or whatever) from your premises to a hunting ground is an exception to 46.02, separate from the traveling exception. As long as you are "en route" you can legally carry openly or concealed without a license. Doesn't mean you won't be detained by Austin Police.

gotcha.. And I agree, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then we best be having duck for dinner... No, I am not high... It just sounded reasonable in my head...dang, now that made me sound high for sure...ok, I'll shut up now...moving on...

Seems weird, but back in the day I would not think twice about walking 5 miles or more to go hunting, hunt for a few hours, then walk home...That's what happens when you live in AL.. OK, now for some strange reason I hear banjo music...I'm out

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    You got a pretty mouth boy.... I think I have jacked this poor guys thread enough for today....hmmmm, that almost sounded as bad as "you got a pretty mouth boy".....

**shakes head and mutters under his breath, I need a job...too much time on my hands...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    distance between parking and GRB Convention Center? See, that is good to know as well...didn't know Texas does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded..
    If you wanted free parking it was 5 or 6 blocks away. $7 would get you a block away. There was a 50 - 50 mix of gunshow and folks and non gunshow folks. Directly in front of the GRB is a nice park where they were holding a family event with kids etc. so there was lots of traffic there.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I was just over at a Deputies place walking around, trying to shoot a Cayote when he came pulling up. He didnt care. He dont like Cayotes either.
    Told me to shoot it if I see it, just dont miss. Yes sir!!! I dont miss.........

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What about a person that lives in Downtown Austin, and walks to hunting area in Leander, TX with pistol showing? still legal?
    The way I understand the law, yes it's legal. Also if you're traveling from Beaumont to El Paso it would be legal. No lawyer is going to advise you that either is a good idea however. Not unless you're just wanting to be an activist and plan to invest the time and money. I think it's an especially bad idea to do in Austin. If you tried it here, I'd bet you $100 you'd get arrested for at least disorderly conduct... and I'm not a betting man.

Top Bottom