• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Anyone here applied for home owners insurance and been ask if they own firearms?

While I understand the need to declare personal property this question appears to
    be if your a firearms owner your a greater risk, am I correct. Would like to here how
    others deal with this question.
    Capitol Armory ad

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    what carrier are you talking about?

i think they want to know a declared value - where you can depreciate your couch that burns up - you really cant do that with most firearms

i think its strictly a business deal for the carrier

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Not sure if its the same but i have renters insurance through State Farm and had this conversation with my agent about two weeks ago. He didn't want/need any info on the firearms, just the value. No reciepts, no SN.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    This was a question on application framed in a manner not to declare value but are you an owner. Certainly I have no objects to declaring value
    but the intend on this paperwork doesn't not appear to be that.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    This was a question on application framed in a manner not to declare value but are you an owner. Certainly I have no objects to declaring value
    but the intend on this paperwork doesn't not appear to be that.

Gotcha, sorry i misunderstood the OP.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Now you have me wanting to review my policy. Typically, there are limits to the policy as to what insurance will cover. I remember asking our insurance if they would cover my wife's jewelry and my firearms. They asked what said values were because they would only cover up to $5,000 in each case (I think that was the amount). If what we owned was worth more, then we'd need an additional rider for both the guns and the jewlery to cover the value over and above the $5,000.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Just make sure you have enough coverage. I am covered for all my firearms, and I added a Personal Liability rider to my policy so if someone breaks in and accidently shoots themselves with one of my guns I am covered in that regard. It also adds protection in case they were to break in and happen to slip and fall and bash their head open on a hard surface such as my entry way, or fireplace, or something like that...smilely face..haha

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Firearms typically are completely seperate on a homeowners policy, although some policies do cover them, Nationwide, who I use, requires a adendum (sp) to cover firearms which of course costs more money.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Germania covers any guns up to the limits of contents liability - in our case, a tad over 200k. If the house burns down, we might be in trouble - but if someone waltzed in an' managed ta snake out BOTH gun safes, we'd be covered. It's replacement value, though - so collectibles may not be as well covered.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Germania covers any guns up to the limits of contents liability - in our case, a tad over 200k. If the house burns down, we might be in trouble - but if someone waltzed in an' managed ta snake out BOTH gun safes, we'd be covered. It's replacement value, though - so collectibles may not be as well covered.
    i checked your policy you are not covered i be right over to get them for safe keeping you can visit often(supervised of course)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    i checked your policy you are not covered i be right over to get them for safe keeping you can visit often(supervised of course)

Oh, ah'm covered all right....believe me - I checked VERY carefully.

An' ah've got a 110-lb boxer that gits beat every day by a feller wearing stuff with YER scent on it....ya'll jest c'mon over!! flip.jpg

brian964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    ny
    In my experience it is cheaper getting quotes online. Some of the top insurance companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare rates online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com/home-insurance-calculator

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    My agent asked about guns and I replied "Why"? He told me that unless I had a safe that his company would only cover $2500. With the safe I am covered for actual value.

Top Bottom