• ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I grew up with dogs.
    Had lots of Irish Setters, and a Great Dane which were inside dogs.
    Had several Drahthaars for bird hunting, which were outside dogs.

I had a series of Irish Setters back in the '70's and early '80's. My dad raised German Shorthairs. Irish Setters aren't known for being the brightest dogs in the neighborhood but having them side by side side with Shorthairs made rocks look smart.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Making rocks look smart was the job of the Cocker Spaniel I had as a kid.
    You have to differentiate English Cockers from American Cockers. Totally different. I've had several English ones, that are as smart as any dogs I've had the pleasure to be around. If you'd like to see a field trial with them, send me a PM. I'm certain, I could change your mind.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Maybe it was just the one we had but I have personal experience with one gobsmackingly stupid American Cocker Spaniel. I'm glad to hear others are smarter.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I took Duke out for some play time yesterday.

full.jpg

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Is Duke a drahthaar?
    Honestly I don't know. I heard a couple guides and my buddy who used to guide with Duke talking about that and I really never paid any attention. I have his papers and it has a bunch of the german breeders and kennel names listed but it doesn't really matter to me.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Looks like both y'all had fun.
    We all had a blast. I've had Duke about a year and a half now and he is amazing. My friend Larry guided at game preserves professionally and the animal restrictions just got over whelming up in Indianapolis and he was down to one dog and Duke was 10 YO then and he just decided not to do it any more. He was just looking for someplace the dog could just "retire" to and be a dog and I jumped at the chance. My old dog had been gone a couple years by then and the hurt from that was wearing off. I needed someone new to tell me how great I am ever day. Duke has been perfect. He goes every where I go.

Larry wanted to go out once for old times and I wanted to learn the ins and outs of guiding and "is he really as birdie as I think he is..." Man, he is every thing you see those TV hunting dogs do and more. He does ALL the bird dog stuff plus he'll find a deer if you lose a blood trail, he will fetch anything you shoot at. I hunt a lot of beavers and he'll follow along and let me know when one of those are near and if I let him he would jump in after those. He'll grab a dead one and bring in to the bank and drag it to ya if it's small enough he can pick it up.

We got 5 quail and 5 chukar and a field and Larry showed me how to set the birds and all about what the customers expect and what a guide needs to do and how it all works with the preserve owner and we just had a lot of fun. We had one bird that wasn't quite as dizzy as he acted so he fly a little and got in the woods. Another quail got pecked in the head when they were all in the cage together so he was a little loopy, but nothing got away. Duke fetched every bird like we were playing at home. Man one that didn't get hit good and just kind of drifted down, I thought Duke was going have him right out of the air.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Honestly I don't know. I heard a couple guides and my buddy who used to guide with Duke talking about that and I really never paid any attention. I have his papers and it has a bunch of the german breeders and kennel names listed but it doesn't really matter to me.

German breeders would make it very possible.
    Sure looks like one.

Looks like it was a grand time.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Jake the Wonder Dog is 8 1/2 years old and has slowed down a bit. He's still playful and runs several laps around the dining room table before I feed him. The boy loves to chase squirrels in our front yard and he walks our yard without a leash. He knows the rules and almost always follows them. Jake is not allowed in the street but occasionally forgets that. That's why I'm there to watch him!

Just recently, he resumed doing something that he did as a puppy. He'll stand and stare at me until I pick him up and place him on my chest. I slouch down in my big chair, to give him some room, so he lays on his side and falls asleep on my chest. That's nice and we both like it!

Jake is a Toy Fox Terrier and weighs about 10 pounds. Yes, he is a bit heavy for a TFT.

Flash

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We all had a blast. I've had Duke about a year and a half now and he is amazing. My friend Larry guided at game preserves professionally and the animal restrictions just got over whelming up in Indianapolis and he was down to one dog and Duke was 10 YO then and he just decided not to do it any more. He was just looking for someplace the dog could just "retire" to and be a dog and I jumped at the chance. My old dog had been gone a couple years by then and the hurt from that was wearing off. I needed someone new to tell me how great I am ever day. Duke has been perfect. He goes every where I go.

Larry wanted to go out once for old times and I wanted to learn the ins and outs of guiding and "is he really as birdie as I think he is..." Man, he is every thing you see those TV hunting dogs do and more. He does ALL the bird dog stuff plus he'll find a deer if you lose a blood trail, he will fetch anything you shoot at. I hunt a lot of beavers and he'll follow along and let me know when one of those are near and if I let him he would jump in after those. He'll grab a dead one and bring in to the bank and drag it to ya if it's small enough he can pick it up.

We got 5 quail and 5 chukar and a field and Larry showed me how to set the birds and all about what the customers expect and what a guide needs to do and how it all works with the preserve owner and we just had a lot of fun. We had one bird that wasn't quite as dizzy as he acted so he fly a little and got in the woods. Another quail got pecked in the head when they were all in the cage together so he was a little loopy, but nothing got away. Duke fetched every bird like we were playing at home. Man one that didn't get hit good and just kind of drifted down, I thought Duke was going have him right out of the air.

Anyone who's had the the privilege of having a canine friend/hunting partner like your Duke can sure relate to that great post.

Mine was a black lab named Jason, your above brought back some wonderful memories.

Thanks!

Top Bottom