• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    No, but if the government allows other forms of expression in the same medium, then they can't engage in content based restrictions without meeting a constitutional test of "strict scrutiny". As it currently stands, its perfectly legal to own and display a Confederate Flag. So if Texas offers groups the opportunity to make custom license plates, it can't discriminate solely based off the content without narrowly tailoring the exclusion.

I believe another poster in the thread mentioned they had prevailed in other states, I am guessing the basis of their argument was what I just laid out.

We may just have to disagree on this, but I don't see the government's failure to offer on option the same as content based restrictions. An individual has every right to plaster their vehicle with confederate flag bumper stickers, so long as it does not interfere with the safe operation of said vehicle.

I can't see how you can force the government to adopt an medium for your expression... especially if certain segments of the populace would view this as fighting words. I don't think I'm alone since some Circuit Courts have upheld suspensions of kids that have worn clothing with confederate flags to school. Of course, the Supreme Court remains silent on this issue.
    Target Sports

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    damn. noone went for it.

i was hoping it would go something like --

"the confederate flag isnt a racist symbol"

then i could say,

"yeah, and a swastika is just a plus sign doing a cartwheel"<br><br>ya'll are no fun.

FTR ive got one in my office, -- was just messin with you guys.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Y"all know me color be dammed, the flag is part of southern hertiage
    And pride, you should not i repreat should mess with that,
    Slavery has been around since the begining of time!
    God allowed it for a period of time, then stopped it,
    The south fought just as hard as the north,
    But as in all things one side had to win another had to lose
    So as far as the flag goes if you want to sport it fine!!
    Plates i dont care! The klan and some others
    Hide under it so it carries the taint of hate groups,
    But as far as that goes if you dont like black ppl
    Thats fine, inmho the flag has nothing to do with it.
    But we have gotten so pc that we have come to this,

If you want the flag its ok with me.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ^^ right.

Civil war wasn't about slavery - it was about State's Rights.

there's the dirty little secret that today's history teachers leave out of the lesson plan.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    What bulls**t! The Confederate flag is a matter of Southern pride and should be respected as such. Only racists (or should I say reverse racists?) from the liberal camp consider the Stars and Bars to be a racial symbol. It's been 150 years now, they need to get over it.

Great friend of mine when in high school drove a 70's lifted GMC with a 3"x5" stars and bars sticker in the lower left rear window. The rear differential cover also had it painted on it. The school said it was racist and offensive due to "cultural tension/oppression" of the time. My friend refused to reprint, he always had it on there. Instead, he placed a post it on the sticker when parking on campus, and a piece of paper over the rear diff. Admin said not good enough and people were offended......he said, "I'm black, I'm from the south, and I'm proud......" he then filed a reverse complaint stating that everyone should have to remove the Mexico and Puerto Rico flags people used to hang on the rear view mirrors. School then dropped the issue.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Texas has been nothing but good to me( i live in hays co.)
    Hays high has my man ysomite sam on the front of
    The tee shirts and a rebel flag on the back own several
    And wear them on a regular. I care about blk white mexcian
    All people! God taught me this. But nobody brings up that all
    These same people enslvae their on people with drugs
    Sexual slavery e.t.c!!! So ask these people what flag do they fly?
    Let us face it evil is here to stay untill JESUS returns
    But it seems to me that most ppl want to hate the object
    Than take the time to search inside themselves,
    One cannot change outward untill one changes inside.
    So if one hates blk ppl white ppl or any race, thats on them
    But if you make your self known as such(be prepared)in my eyes
    To get hammer dropped o you! If those here in my home(by tx law one
    Has to be here 10yrs to do so! Lol)is being hurt and i can help i will do
    Mo matter what the color. Or what flag you sport,
    Cause if it were my family i would want the same from you!!!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Great friend of mine when in high school drove a 70's lifted GMC with a 3"x5" stars and bars sticker in the lower left rear window. The rear differential cover also had it painted on it. The school said it was racist and offensive due to "cultural tension/oppression" of the time. My friend refused to reprint, he always had it on there. Instead, he placed a post it on the sticker when parking on campus, and a piece of paper over the rear diff. Admin said not good enough and people were offended......he said, "I'm black, I'm from the south, and I'm proud......" he then filed a reverse complaint stating that everyone should have to remove the Mexico and Puerto Rico flags people used to hang on the rear view mirrors. School then dropped the issue.

cool story!

(seriously bro)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    It was the NAACP and others of that trend who raised cain about the proposed license plate with the Confederate Battle Flag upon it...but we would imagine that they wouldn't object to a Mexican Flag instead ? Or a Somolian Flag ?

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    The confederate flag has nothing to do with hate or color but is a symbol of a rebellion against the USA that should never be allowed to fly again in the air or on a license plate. The confederate flag has never had any thing to do with TEXAS. We were never part of the war nor did we ever honor their flag. Texas has its own flag that has been around since the 1839.

Attachments

• 225px-Flag_of_Texas_svg.jpg
      225px-Flag_of_Texas_svg.jpg
      31.3 KB · Views: 144

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The confederate flag has nothing to do with hate or color but is a symbol of a rebellion against the USA that should never be allowed to fly again in the air or on a license plate. The confederate flag has never had any thing to do with TEXAS. We were never part of the war nor did we ever honor their flag. Texas has its own flag that has been around since the 1839.

Google texas civil war involvment and educate yourself on texas history. We did vote to secceed and did join the confederacy. Learn the history of the state you are so proud of.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Actually... everything in your post is incorrect. The Confederacy did not wish to overthrow Washington DC, only to remove itself from the union. Texas WAS a part of the Confederacy, the Confederate flag DID fly over the Texas capitol, (and was never taken down by a northern troop, only Texas and Florida can make that claim). Texas WAS part of the war, and actually the last battles of the war were fought in Texas by Confederate troops from Texas. Texas DID honor the flag and still does so, as it is on the floor of the Capitol rotunda in Austin. (There are also Confederate memorials on the capitol grounds.)

Get your facts straight.

Your profile says "Yankee by birth..." so I will cut you some slack on the poor civil war education you received up there.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If you walk the State Capitol grounds, you'll see statues and plaques commemorating Texas' involvement in the Confederacy. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It's simply part of out history.

I don't think it's TXDOT's duty to provide us with a license plate commemorating the battle flag.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    I stand corrected I did not know the war came this far. a quick look said that Texas was mostly a supporter with supplies and no major wars were fought here.
    as far as what we are taught was what was needed. We did not or do not hang ona war that was stupid to start with. So what I have to say is GET OVER THE FACT THAT THE SOUTH LOST and the flag was a symbol of rebellion that was put down. Thisis the United States of America and not the confederate states of America

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    WTF are You talking about? "What was needed?" You didn't even know Texas was part of the confederacy. Why even post Your ignorant fud in here? You don't have a clue wtf You are talking about.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    as far as what we are taught was what was needed.
    Which is a huge problem with the public schools system....selective educating. Something as monumental as the Civil War and your school failed to teach even the basics. When my son was only 9, while at Six Flags Over Texas, realized that one of the 6 flags was that of the Confederate States of America.

You have shown that it is probably in your best interests to avoid this topic that you know nothing about.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    two things that are for sure....1 is I am learning and 2is I except the fact that the civil war is long over with and the south lost

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    This is gonna get ugly so locking. Let this be a lesson, if you dont know what you are blabbering about, it is best not to open your mouth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom