• Status
    Not open for further replies.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    Members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which sponsored the proposal, had threatened to file a lawsuit if Texas rejected the plate design, which features the group logo derived from the battle flag flown by southern states during the Civil War. The group has successfully sued to have them issued in three of the nine states where they are currently offered.

Texas Board Rejects Confederate License Plates
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Perry, who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination, has previously defended the historical value of Confederacy symbols but said he opposed the license plates. When asked about the plates last month, he said "we don't need to be opening old wounds."

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: Texas Board Rejects Confederate License Plates

So is he going to take Lincoln off the penny and five if he gets elected?

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    What bulls**t! The Confederate flag is a matter of Southern pride and should be respected as such. Only racists (or should I say reverse racists?) from the liberal camp consider the Stars and Bars to be a racial symbol. It's been 150 years now, they need to get over it.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    This is BS! What ever happened to Freedom of speech? If I'm proud of my heratige - so be it. It ain't nobodies business what license plate is on my car. Perry is flip/floppin just because he is running for the GOP. If people like Jesse the adulterer jackson didn't keep stuff like this stirred up he would have to get a real job. Imagine al sharpton having to be smart enough to fill out a job application and not lie on it. This is the problem not some license plate.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    So much for the first amendment.

I'm no lawyer, so could you explain to me what the first amendment has to do with government issued license plates? Are you saying that the government must provide you the medium through which you express your free speech?

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The U.S itself was founded as a nation where slavery was legal from the beginning.
    Are they gonna make everyone take down the stars and stripes too!?

...wait - I should shut up. I might give the liberals some ideas.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    It wouldnt be all that hard to make your own plates since The new license plates are just printed on plastic sheets these days, as long as the numbers match your state issued plates that is.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Irony, a flag that was flown with pride at our own capital for decades and decades is now beyond being on our license plates. Utter bullshit.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    They had it on the news here in Houston about how it was odd that the state would not allow the sons of the confederacy plates but they did approve the Buffalo soldier plates.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Irony, a flag that was flown with pride at our own capital for decades and decades is now beyond being on our license plates. Utter bullshit.

guys... dont you see? the rebel flag is a RACIST symbol.

come on! get with the program. Some people just dont get it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I'm no lawyer, so could you explain to me what the first amendment has to do with government issued license plates? Are you saying that the government must provide you the medium through which you express your free speech?
    +1 the 1A has nothing to do with license plates...or that states issuing or non-issuing of them.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

No, but if the government allows other forms of expression in the same medium, then they can't engage in content based restrictions without meeting a constitutional test of "strict scrutiny". As it currently stands, its perfectly legal to own and display a Confederate Flag. So if Texas offers groups the opportunity to make custom license plates, it can't discriminate solely based off the content without narrowly tailoring the exclusion.

I believe another poster in the thread mentioned they had prevailed in other states, I am guessing the basis of their argument was what I just laid out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom