• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I received an email from Bruce and he authorized me to post this regarding his progress:

UPDATE:

Also thank you for asking about me and my wife. I am healing well, although I still have a long ways to go but at least am learning to walk again – still unsteadily and requiring a walker or crutches. Considering the severity of my wounds, I survived what should have been an unsurvivable injury, and being 61 years old I think I am healing like a man half my age. The surgeons at Memorial Hermann Hospital were miracle workers, too; I did not get even the tiniest infection, they saved both of my legs, and also my life. I required 7 surgeries in 9 days plus received 15 units of blood and 5 units of plasma in the first 48 hours; 12 units is generally considered to be a full body blood replacement… so I was almost completely bled out when I arrived at their trauma center.

The trauma surgeon, Dr. Gill, told me before I was transferred to the inpatient rehabilitation center near my home that the tourniquet (placed by Phil) was the deciding factor that saved my life. He said that had it not been put on, or had it been incorrectly applied, I could not have survived the arterial wounds to my left leg. The pressure dressings and belt tourniquet on the right leg had completely stopped that bleeding, too. So I got excellent care both on the field and in the hospital. I have some lingering neurologic issues, both locally (left leg) and centrally, but given how seriously I was wounded it is not all that surprising.

I also had a remarkable experience that day, which I believe Phil may have sent to you for forwarding to Tom. In any case, my experience was a much better one than my dear wife’s. She is still struggling with the horrors of that afternoon and I can only support her and pray she overcomes the dark shadows that often dominate her daily activities. She was wounded as deeply as me that day, but there is little the doctors or her psychologist have been able to do for her inner wounds. We are still shooting and collecting NFA weapons, but for both of us I think a great deal of the joy of our mutual hobby has been greatly diminished. I first met my wife, Dale, while we were both attending a shooting match in the Napa Valley in 1982.

Bruce thanks everyone for their support and prays that we all keep safe firearms handling in mind.

END UPDATE

I was there. I helped Load Bruce on the Helicopter and I was present for the aftermath.

As far as the facts, these will be discussed later. I will simply ask everyone to make sure all your weapons are cleared before and after casing/un-casing and keep the muzzles pointed down range and at the gound at all times.

I sent the following email to everyone that I have on my email list:

On Sunday, January 3, 2010, Bruce Ross, a shooter, thus our brother, was badly wounded in
    an accident. He is in serious need of blood, today.

He is at Memorial Herman Hospital in the Med Center where he went through six units last night during surgery.

If you can find the time to give a unit of blood at any donating facility and do it in his name that would be appreciated http://www.memorialhermann.org/waystogive/content.aspx?id=2536

Even if you do not know him personally, a card or alittle somthing for encoutagement would be nice.

Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center6411 Fannin
    Houston, Texas 77030
    (713) 704-4000

I have learned that you will need Bruce’s Date of birth to donate blood for him.

Bruce Ross’ date of birth is 4-9-1949.

As of today, 1-10-2010, Bruce and his family are doing as well as can be expected.
    bruce still needs blood donations.

The ImpactZone is planning on having a benefit pistol match and BBQ later this month. I ask that all attend and shoot the match. It is going to be an open match for the purpose of fun and helping Bruce and Dale out. Even if you do not have a race gun, race rig and don't normally participate in pistol matches, please come out and participate in this one to support Bruce, Dale and the ImpactZone.

NewYears006.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Alan has set up a paypal account for donations and Phil Oxley is having a benefit fun shoot at the Impact Zone at the end of January 2010.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I received an email from Bruce and he authorized me to post this regarding his progress:

UPDATE:

Also thank you for asking about me and my wife. I am healing well, although I still have a long ways to go but at least am learning to walk again – still unsteadily and requiring a walker or crutches. Considering the severity of my wounds, I survived what should have been an unsurvivable injury, and being 61 years old I think I am healing like a man half my age. The surgeons at Memorial Hermann Hospital were miracle workers, too; I did not get even the tiniest infection, they saved both of my legs, and also my life. I required 7 surgeries in 9 days plus received 15 units of blood and 5 units of plasma in the first 48 hours; 12 units is generally considered to be a full body blood replacement… so I was almost completely bled out when I arrived at their trauma center.

The trauma surgeon, Dr. Gill, told me before I was transferred to the inpatient rehabilitation center near my home that the tourniquet (placed by Phil) was the deciding factor that saved my life. He said that had it not been put on, or had it been incorrectly applied, I could not have survived the arterial wounds to my left leg. The pressure dressings and belt tourniquet on the right leg had completely stopped that bleeding, too. So I got excellent care both on the field and in the hospital. I have some lingering neurologic issues, both locally (left leg) and centrally, but given how seriously I was wounded it is not all that surprising.

I also had a remarkable experience that day, which I believe Phil may have sent to you for forwarding to Tom. In any case, my experience was a much better one than my dear wife’s. She is still struggling with the horrors of that afternoon and I can only support her and pray she overcomes the dark shadows that often dominate her daily activities. She was wounded as deeply as me that day, but there is little the doctors or her psychologist have been able to do for her inner wounds. We are still shooting and collecting NFA weapons, but for both of us I think a great deal of the joy of our mutual hobby has been greatly diminished. I first met my wife, Dale, while we were both attending a shooting match in the Napa Valley in 1982.

Bruce thanks everyone for their support and prays that we all keep safe firearms handling in mind.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery. And sounds like without a doubht Phil and the others present saved the mans life. Everyone should look into first aid/cpr training. Just re-upped mine in April.

Top Bottom