Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Asparagus and broccoli are your friends. And properly steamed they go nicely with things like steak.
    If you pan-fry a steak in a very hot cast-iron pan you have an opportunity to make asparagus a way my sis really loves. I hate the stuff, btw, and I prefer my broccoli (which I love) just steamed.

Anyway, the steak comes out of the pan and you do what you wish with the pan juices but leave the fond alone. Deglaze with a quantity of melted butter and a quick, thorough scrape of the bottom of the pan. Before the butter burns (Seriously, you only have a few seconds.), throw in the asparagus and let it absorb heat, butter, and that marvelous flavor left in the pan. Remove the asparagus right before the butter becomes a problem. If your asparagus is too thick to fully cook during the limited time available, it may need pre-steaming or just a little microwaving while wrapped in wet paper towels before it goes in the pan. Canned asparagus never needs any preparation before hitting the cast iron.

My sis says she loves it done that way. When I came up with this method (I'm sure I wasn't the first, of course), I was just looking for a way to get the asparagus done quickly so I wouldn't have to deal with it for much time. I really do hate the stuff, including the smell as it cooks. It seems I stumbled across something that she likes; pure serendipity, that was.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If you pan-fry a steak in a very hot cast-iron pan you have an opportunity to make asparagus a way my sis really loves. I hate the stuff, btw, and I prefer my broccoli (which I love) just steamed.

Anyway, the steak comes out of the pan and you do what you wish with the pan juices but leave the fond alone. Deglaze with a quantity of melted butter and a quick, thorough scrape of the bottom of the pan. Before the butter burns (Seriously, you only have a few seconds.), throw in the asparagus and let it absorb heat, butter, and that marvelous flavor left in the pan. Remove the asparagus right before the butter becomes a problem. If your asparagus is too thick to fully cook during the limited time available, it may need pre-steaming or just a little microwaving while wrapped in wet paper towels before it goes in the pan. Canned asparagus never needs any preparation before hitting the cast iron.

My sis says she loves it done that way. When I came up with this method (I'm sure I wasn't the first, of course), I was just looking for a way to get the asparagus done quickly so I wouldn't have to deal with it for much time. I really do hate the stuff, including the smell as it cooks. It seems I stumbled across something that she likes; pure serendipity, that was.

Ah, the problem is if I'm cooking steaks, there's charcoal involved. But, that does sound delicious for those who pan-fry their steaks. Think it would work with chicken fried steak? That's the only steak I do in a pan.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy

I cook steak on cast iron and we usually roast the asparagus in the oven. Next time I'll finish it in the cast iron.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I love me a Steak cooked over charcoal or wood but a properly seared steak in cast iron is fantastic as well.

I do the best of both worlds on occasion. I’ll put a cast iron skillet in the grill and finish sear the steak on the cast iron after the steak hits 115-118°.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gll
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom