DK Firearms

Teaching those who have no experience with firearms and dealing with a pushy husband.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    TOO MANY HUSBANDS AND BOYFRIENDS THINK THEY SHOULD HELP CHOOSE A FIREARM FOR THEIR SO!
    Yet would likely not allow their wife, girlfriend, even friend to pick their next pistol. I'll take input, but I buy my owns stuff. No reason to believe it wouldn't be that way for others.
    Target Sports

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    My wife and I shoot at our local range.

I sometimes coach her...a bit, but let my coaching be flexible.

Example: She was rocking back a little from recoil as she had both legs parallel with each other.

I suggested she put one foot in front, the other in back (of course) to help steady her response to recoil.

She tried putting one leg in front as suggest and even tried swapping the lead foot.

Ultimately, she likes parallel footing.

OK, fine by me, if she prefers it that way.

She since adjusted on her own by leaning a bit further forward to overcome recoil push back.

We both enjoy shooting together.

Oh, and she at times coaches me a bit and I listen to her as she often has very good ideas...pretty much about anything.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The "Why?" of it is more complex than I'm willing to go into for both reasons of time and because I don't know the absolute answer. I know I've observed it more than once.

Research has been done on stability when standing and women seem to do better, on average. In my context, as (usually) a pistol shooter, that means a more stable base from which to shoot. On average, the center of gravity of women's bodies is literally lower than those of men. That's the only real-world physical reason that comes to mind at the moment. Keep in mind that I specified that women succeed in competition like Olympic air pistol where there's not as much a need for physical strength to deal with recoil. That's important.

In practical terms, women don't typically adopt a male attitude that they're the spiritual successors to John Wayne and they already know what they're doing. Sometimes women pull the helpless female act but that's easy to get past. Once past it, female students are often much more attentive because they're now in a world they haven't previously thought of as their birthright. They know they need to listen if they're going to succeed. As simple as that last sentence sounds, my experience is that women do a better job of it than men when it comes to firearms instruction.

I suppose there's more to this and I'll ponder it. Good question. Thanks.

I suspect women also have better hand/eye coordination on average.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    The "Why?" of it is more complex than I'm willing to go into for both reasons of time and because I don't know the absolute answer. I know I've observed it more than once.

Research has been done on stability when standing and women seem to do better, on average. In my context, as (usually) a pistol shooter, that means a more stable base from which to shoot. On average, the center of gravity of women's bodies is literally lower than those of men. That's the only real-world physical reason that comes to mind at the moment. Keep in mind that I specified that women succeed in competition like Olympic air pistol where there's not as much a need for physical strength to deal with recoil. That's important.

In practical terms, women don't typically adopt a male attitude that they're the spiritual successors to John Wayne and they already know what they're doing. Sometimes women pull the helpless female act but that's easy to get past. Once past it, female students are often much more attentive because they're now in a world they haven't previously thought of as their birthright. They know they need to listen if they're going to succeed. As simple as that last sentence sounds, my experience is that women do a better job of it than men when it comes to firearms instruction.

I suppose there's more to this and I'll ponder it. Good question. Thanks.
    I agree with your thoughts, Ben, and I'd like to try and add a little to it as to the 'Why'.

Generally speaking, we have a type of Muscle Memory... of a different nature. Our hand-eye coordination is developed through the repeated routines of daily life: reaching for things without having to see where they are, performing tasks without a need for visual confirmation... hard to explain. If you ever have a chance to observe a female, especially as she's doing chores, or working with her kids, watch her hands; see what she does and how...almost automatically.

I instinct shoot archery..at about 90% after I see where the first one hits and then compensate as needed. I'm doing that now as I learn to shoot out here. After I'm familiar with a pistol, I aim, but then take myself out of it before I pull the trigger. I already know what needs to be done (put this round right there) and then I just do it.

Hopefully that made sense to someone.

Edit: Holy crap. Had to fix what I wrote yesterday, left words out, left wrong impression. Sorry.

Last edited:

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    The first time my wife ever shot was when we were on vacation. We stopped at a range and I rented a couple 22s and some random fun items for myself. She had some fun with the 22s and even ended up shooting an FN Scar by the end of the day. Fish on the hook.

Fast forward to today now that we live in Texas. Got her a heritage 22 revolver with a pinup girl on the grip. She loves shooting it. She’s learning basic marksmanship and safe handling. Got her a Rossi 22 rifle. Loves it. She shoots my MK9 a little bit and is incredibly accurate with it at least off a rest at short range. Let her try my little Taurus g2c. A little rough at first but by the second range session she’s used to the operation and handling in regards to recoil. For her birthday she wants a full size Canik and that’ll be the gun she really trains with until it’s an extension of her hand. Eventually she wants a nice light AR. And she’s all about some cowboy guns so that’s on her list as well lol.

I keep encouraging her to take a class as I’m not an instructor obviously. I can teach her safety, operation and basic handling enough to get on the range but that’s about it. She’s not a “class” kinda person though. She thinks I can teach her what she needs to know. But at least she’s taken to learning handling and safety like a duck to water. I may have to take a basic class with her just to get her to go though. She does watch videos that we can find on YouTube with Lena Miculek. She has a few that goes over handling, stance, basic drills, dry fire etc. She’s incredibly informative and easy to understand and my wife loves her. I’m wondering if that Rose kit by Sig that she designed is worth it to get access to whatever training videos she includes. If we can ever find a live class with her teaching, I know she’d go in a heartbeat and I’d make sure to get her there. In the meantime, luckily we understand each other well and she’s surprisingly easy to teach for a Hispanic woman lol. I do watch a lot of training videos myself to see what I can learn about teaching a new person and transfer to her as much as I can. But with proper training I’m confident she’d be one hell of a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The first time my wife ever shot was when we were on vacation. We stopped at a range and I rented a couple 22s and some random fun items for myself. She had some fun with the 22s and even ended up shooting an FN Scar by the end of the day. Fish on the hook.

Fast forward to today now that we live in Texas. Got her a heritage 22 revolver with a pinup girl on the grip. She loves shooting it. She’s learning basic marksmanship and safe handling. Got her a Rossi 22 rifle. Loves it. She shoots my MK9 a little bit and is incredibly accurate with it at least off a rest at short range. Let her try my little Taurus g2c. A little rough at first but by the second range session she’s used to the operation and handling in regards to recoil. For her birthday she wants a full size Canik and that’ll be the gun she really trains with until it’s an extension of her hand. Eventually she wants a nice light AR. And she’s all about some cowboy guns so that’s on her list as well lol.

I keep encouraging her to take a class as I’m not an instructor obviously. I can teach her safety, operation and basic handling enough to get on the range but that’s about it. She’s not a “class” kinda person though. She thinks I can teach her what she needs to know. But at least she’s taken to learning handling and safety like a duck to water. I may have to take a basic class with her just to get her to go though. She does watch videos that we can find on YouTube with Lena Miculek. She has a few that goes over handling, stance, basic drills, dry fire etc. She’s incredibly informative and easy to understand and my wife loves her. I’m wondering if that Rose kit by Sig that she designed is worth it to get access to whatever training videos she includes. If we can ever find a live class with her teaching, I know she’d go in a heartbeat and I’d make sure to get her there. In the meantime, luckily we understand each other well and she’s surprisingly easy to teach for a Hispanic woman lol. I do watch a lot of training videos myself to see what I can learn about teaching a new person and transfer to her as much as I can. But with proper training I’m confident she’d be one hell of a shooter.

THE ONLY THING I TEACH MY WIFE IS HOW DIFFERENT FIREARMS OPERAT IN CASE SHE NEEDS TO USE THEM

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    THE ONLY THING I TEACH MY WIFE IS HOW DIFFERENT FIREARMS OPERAT IN CASE SHE NEEDS TO USE THEM

I hear you there. I actually do enjoy teaching on subjects that I’m certified and confident in. I’ve taught basic first aid, stop the bleed, cpr etc. I feel like teaching others keeps my knowledge trained up. I’ve always been extremely vigilant in making sure to convey accurate and useful info. But firearms are something that I’d love to take a lot more training in myself. But like I said luckily, she learns well and is safer and more controlled on the range than I’ve seen a lot of other people be. She likes going to the range almost as much as I do. She knows how to use and has shot all of the few guns we have. She just needs to get used to controls on ARs. For some reason she feels like they have a lot of buttons lol.

Does your wife go to the range with ya?

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    That kind of hate comes from the same people who will tell you that you should never take a class from someone who doesn't have LEO or military experience.

Mmmmm, ok. I know about many many super crapola so-called "instructors" that do have LEO and/or military exp. Neither one really knows much about DGU or CC, and LEOs sometimes have the worst ability to put rounds on target... sometimes. Tho that doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be. They folks might make great handgun basic skills teachers on grip/stance/etc, but not on civilian defense in today's world.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Mmmmm, ok. I know about many many super crapola so-called "instructors" that do have LEO and/or military exp. Neither one really knows much about DGU or CC, and LEOs sometimes have the worst ability to put rounds on target... sometimes. Tho that doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be. They folks might make great handgun basic skills teachers on grip/stance/etc, but not on civilian defense in today's world.

Public perception, though. I've had plenty of firearms-ignorant people insist to me that cops and military are the "only ones qualified" to do various things with various firearms. They don't undestand that putting a minimum number of rounds on target once a year doesn't automatically make them more knowledgeable than someone who practices regularly with and personally maintains firearms.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    My wife grew up on a rural farm. She was my hunting partner for a few years and already knew how to shoot rifles and pistols.

I taught her a lot about defense shooting cuz she wanted to get a CC permit, and was only used to target shooting so she didn't have the skillz to really protect herself unless bad things were willing to stand still. And I couldn't afford classes.

But years earlier I made a smart choice and refused to be her teach for downhill skiing. Water skiing was bad enough and something she never did again after once getting up on double skis. Downhill skiing scared her so much that she would often take the skis off and walk back down the beginner slope. Oh well. She did like Nordic skiing tho. We both learned that by trial and error.

No teachy da wife unless you want a lot of grief. And no pick out her skis unless you want them stuck up your blowhole.

Familiarity breeds contemp. Family error T.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

Gee, thought I was the only one on TGT to admit actually carrying a Taurus, when I’m not carrying a GLOCK. . . . . . . .

<>

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    <>

Gee, thought I was the only one on TGT to admit actually carrying a Taurus, when I’m not carrying a GLOCK. . . . . . . .

<>

Hey man, I’ve had less issues out of my cheap little Taurus than some name brands I’ve purchased in the past lol. Grabbed it at my first Texas gun show just to have something at the time. I’ve carried a Glock too but that was 13 years ago when the plastic Sigs were still laughed at. That said, will be upgrading soon. Probably an HK P30L. After I get my birthday big iron of course.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey man, I’ve had less issues out of my cheap little Taurus than some name brands I’ve purchased in the past lol. Grabbed it at my first Texas gun show just to have something at the time. I’ve carried a Glock too but that was 13 years ago when the plastic Sigs were still laughed at. That said, will be upgrading soon. Probably an HK P30L. After I get my birthday big iron of course.

My wife's gun was a Taurus 24/7 for a decade, before she opted for a Sig P228. She likes what she likes...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

I’ve owned three Tauri, not a peep out of any of them. Kimber UCDP was a mess.

Several years back, we found ourselvs on a handgun range & I was the only one in the group with a handgun, a GLOCK 19. Had earmuffs and a big bulk carton of Cabela‘s ‘’El Cheapo’’ 9mm. Well, the G19 wouldn’t function properly. Took it to Son, who is a GLOCK Guy & ‘’Armorer’’. He ran 300 rounds of Remington ‘’ball’’ through it w/o a single malfunction, cleaned it & gave it back with a note: ‘’Quit buying El Cheapo ammo!’’ Lesson learned.

Carry-on !

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I've been a member at a range and know a few instructors plus the owner. My wife said she wanted to learn to shoot and I mentioned it to her current instructor. We dropped by on a Saturday, they met and set up next day for a one-on-one, classroom first of course, then the range. He chose a Glock 44 (22 caliber) from the rental section and said she was a natural as I was busy taking videos and pics from behind a large window. I learned from him and my own observations that it's not usualy a good idea for a husband or boy friend to try and teach his woman how to shoot. Most men in that situation have been shooting for years and automatically think they are a good instructor. Women have a natural built-in resistance to her man to begin with, that Mars and Venus thing. When he starts trying to teach her something, whether about cars or something around the house, the flags go up. Trying to teach her about gun safety and shooting, all she sees is condescension. However, another man as instructor is different. How many stories the instructors have heard about the guy taking her out to the country to fire his 9mm or 44 magnum for her first experience. Bad idea ! I told her instructor to let her try my 9mm after several lessons as I stayed behind the window observing. After a few shots she wanted her Glock 22 caliber back. She was doing just fine until I interjected saying she should move on up and get something more powerful, that a 22 won't stop the bad guy. .Now she doesn't seem to like going anymore. Guys, butt out and let her take her time with her instructor she has learned to trust

Top Bottom