Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One creative avenue to explore is where you don't even own your house, the community, inc owns everything and you have a share in that combined with a life-estate:
    That's sorta the way River Oaks in Houston worked back in the day. It was in their deed restrictions (or whatever there were called all those decades ago) that no blacks or Jews were allowed in the neighborhood. There's a lot of fascinating history there. Rich Jewish folk went off and built Riverside Terrace and rich black folks did the same in the MacGregor area. Those places didn't get the "only the rich allowed in here" vibe like River Oaks but they were just as swanky. Maybe more so; I've never seen a solid copper roof in River Oaks but I have off MacGregor

Takeaway for this thread - If anybody gets really serious about all this, be cognizant of the fact that you're making history
    Texas SOT

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    There are so many different ways to do something like this. And so, so, so many ways to screw it up. The problem is, I'm liking it the more I think about it.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    There are so many different ways to do something like this. And so, so, so many ways to screw it up. The problem is, I'm liking it the more I think about it.
    I never considered it until this thread, but it got my wheels spinning. Like I mentioned, I saw it done with health nuts/workout crowd and turned in to big deal. They bought a dude ranch and went from there, so some infrastructure was in place. Nothing stopping us from copying that. Little houses went from $100k in 1980 to $1M due to supply/demand. It'd get press, for sure, and there are plenty of people with money that would be interested.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Out of curiosity, don't you have a slab, while having in-floor radiant heating?

How is that different for your knees?
    I live in slab house now and it is like a chiller, radiates cold up my legs.

I worked in a cabinet shop in Illinois that had the radiant floor heating- pex pipe circuit embedded in concrete that has warm water pumped through it so it radiates the warmth. It was so cozy, we'd open the big door to let some cool air in during winter.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    If people would prefer to hold their own deed, then by all means, that is the way to go-if it's what everyone would want. Folks were asking how to lock-in low taxes- creative loopholes, like perhaps a preservation/conservation easement for the deer property (if that is important). Or ag exemptions.

It's cold up North. Old bones and cold don't mix, is why I am so keen on in-floor radiant floor heating: makes you feel like an old dog lounging in the sun. Slab is terrible for my feet and knees and forced-air heat just dries out my brain.
    Oops, I left a wrong impression. I've had enough snow and cold for 10 lifetimes; I meant north Texas. I'm used to and enjoying the heat now - but the humidity here in the thicket is killing me. Is the Texas Triangle Ben spoke of drier? A friend suggested Graham as being nice but I don't know anything about it either.

What I do know is, for me the smaller the better; easier upkeep. Maybe the TGT development could be a mix of life-estate* homes - and a couple of cabins to rent for those of us not seeking a smaller version of what we already have, lol. I'll take a cabin. :)

*Keeping base ownership to one entity will make it easier (and possible) re permitting, utility connections (if any), taxation. It may have started as a jest - but don't dismiss becoming a religious or not-for-profit community without looking seriously at how being a 501(c)(3) could be a benefit.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Oops, I left a wrong impression. I've had enough snow and cold for 10 lifetimes; I meant north Texas. I'm used to and enjoying the heat now - but the humidity here in the thicket is killing me. Is the Texas Triangle Ben spoke of drier? A friend suggested Graham as being nice but I don't know anything about it either.

What I do know is, for me the smaller the better; easier upkeep. Maybe the TGT development could be a mix of life-estate* homes - and a couple of cabins to rent for those of us not seeking a smaller version of what we already have, lol. I'll take a cabin. :)

*Keeping base ownership to one entity will make it easier (and possible) re permitting, utility connections (if any), taxation. It may have started as a jest - but don't dismiss becoming a religious or not-for-profit community without looking seriously at how being a 501(c)(3) could be a benefit.
    I was thinking that for some of us, a "tiny home" type arraignment would work. Except for the individual RSCs, or safes, and reloading benches some of us might have, and they could work for some of the single folks and married couples that don't anticipate children or grandkids staying over for long.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'll post some floorplans that look inviting. Replace the den with saferoom, if you likel.
    If you really want to expense manage living unit development, mini barndos with half-shipping container safe rooms.

From a mobility perspective, this allows level/no-step access. From an efficiency perspective, closed cell spray foam insulation is the bee’s knees. Mini-split A/C or heat pump, and the safe room can double as battery storage if one is running solar of some type. That also provides a backup to backup generators.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I was thinking that for some of us, a "tiny home" type arraignment would work. Except for the individual RSCs, or safes, and reloading benches some of us might have, and they could work for some of the single and folks married couples that don't anticipate children or grandkids staying over for long.
    I thought of that arrangement too. Have you seen any of the Tiny Home communities on YouTube? Very cool and years waiting list for a spot on some of them. Most of the commercially built ones have the sleeping up in a loft configuration so that's a no-go for me.

Up on the mountain, I found a Mennonite shed building outfit that would make a custom 10x26 super insulated shed for me to use as a primitive cabin, I put a small Jotul woostove in it but 2 candles kept it warm LOL. Under $15k all in. Loved it, all I needed or wanted. Here's a pic -

20240323_114501.jpg

I later ran a small solar setup for a radio & phone charger.. but otherwise ahhhh, PeacefulMountain life. :)

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    My cabin is actually two sheds joined together, total of about 700 sq ft, plumbing, electric, ac......it is quite comfortable for a cabin, but a bit small to live in full time. If I was to move to my land permanently, I would look into a modular home. The right foundation, built to higher standards than most on site stick built, and they have about the same appreciation potential. Tons of floor plans and sizes available, and possibly a deal could be made if a dozen folks bought from the same place.
    I am almost 67, and while still in good health my wife has COPD and there is no way I would consider anything but a single level, as I have dealt with my wife falling down stairs once and never again.
    I have 23 acres, mostly wooded, and it is getting harder to keep up. But hell, I like being on a tractor, and I have a 100 yard range.
    Land prices have sky rocketed, I own in Leon County and it's about 10 -12K an acre now.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My cabin is actually two sheds joined together, total of about 700 sq ft, plumbing, electric, ac......it is quite comfortable for a cabin, but a bit small to live in full time. If I was to move to my land permanently, I would look into a modular home. The right foundation, built to higher standards than most on site stick built, and they have about the same appreciation potential. Tons of floor plans and sizes available, and possibly a deal could be made if a dozen folks bought from the same place.
    I am almost 67, and while still in good health my wife has COPD and there is no way I would consider anything but a single level, as I have dealt with my wife falling down stairs once and never again.
    I have 23 acres, mostly wooded, and it is getting harder to keep up. But hell, I like being on a tractor, and I have a 100 yard range.
    Land prices have sky rocketed, I own in Leon County and it's about 10 -12K an acre now.
    <>

There are some 3 or 4 levels of construction for modulars & mobile homes. I’ve seen some of the better ones in FL go through hurricanes with no serious damage.

<>

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    They are well built, and considerably less expensive than site built, with all the upgrades and features you could want. If i had some outbuildings, I would be happy with about 1500 sq feet, downsizing from the 3000 i have now, which is becoming a pain in the ass to keep clean. I need some other buildings though, shop/garage and barn, but those are easier to plan and build, I use a 40 foot high cube as my barn now and it works fine, just a bit small, but very secure.

You folks would need someone there (like me;)) that would keep the range and common areas mowed down and looking good.

It's possible those small private golf course communities might give you some idea of how this would work.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I am going to pursue this project and gather more information to make a determination as to viability. I really appreciate everyone's feedback it is invaluable to delivering what y'all are after.

I apologize to OP for hijacking his thread, but this *may* be a solution for what he seeks.

I have lived in many non-traditional communities and seen many things I'd like to copy and many things to avoid. We had a cabin in Michigan that was a former campground. Michigan had a very lenient property tax loophole that if it was a trailer and only lived in half the year, property taxes were very low. The trailers were very nicely made and had half-log siding. There would be very large screened-in porches that doubled sq footage, but I don't believe Texas offers that tax break. I'd lean towards slab and frame construction, with that fieldstone facade and hardiboard siding for the side/back and light-colored seam steel roof.

Prefab construction, as many have noted, is superior to site-built due to the jigs they use, oversight, and the fact that the workers/materials are out of the elements. A few weeks of that waferboard crap in the weather waiting on a roofer and it starts to de-laminate.

One question is about skeet/ trap. We have that at the range I work at and it is for the big money boys and their $11k Citori boomsticks. I think they would not be our target customer, but invite feedback.

One consideration is we like to shoot, but none of our spouses will want to hear that crap all day/ every day. I guess just offer sessions/ days and insulate the buildings well with sprayfoam. That foam stuff is a miracle product, just needs some off-gassing

time. ls cabin.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think they would not be our target customer, but invite feedback.
    Agreed.

One consideration is we like to shoot, but none of our spouses will want to hear that crap all day/ every day.
    Range design can mitigate much of the problem. Like I said, I've been designing this thing in my head for a very long time.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    .... I'd lean towards slab and frame construction, with that fieldstone facade and hardiboard siding for the side/back and light-colored seam steel roof.

That's the second or third time you've described what your vision is and it sounds lovely... and very marketable. :)

... the big money boys and their $11k Citori boomsticks. I think they would not be our target customer...
    Customer. Customer for what? To invest in this project? Who would be your target customer and for what purpose?

There's a good chance I've misunderstood the concept from the start. I thought this was going to be TGT folks pooling resources to create a unique place for our eventual retirement needs... rather than an investor built (in whole or in part) development (expecting good returns). Was I wrong?

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Thank you. My questions about 'target customers' stand.
    Lol. Pick a different word than "customer", then. "Home buyer"? "User of dwelling"? "Person who pays for a house"? "Consumer"?

Nobody is out to get you. I appreciate your input as you are a good sounding board, been around the block.

It can't please everyone. If you offer everything under the sun; it'd price many of us out. You need to realistically approach developing a community as a business, with a plan. I'll try for what the majority requests.

Putting a bunch of money into real estate is an investment- no 2 ways about it. It will be more successful if it appreciates in value for the people who invest. It becomes an attractive investment. I always purchase a house with the expectation that I (or my kids) will sell it someday, hopefully for more than I paid. I don't want an albatross.

These units could be something a person buys into when they are 50, planning for retiring there someday in 15 years. Would we allow these to be rented out short-term? That would be up to the initial buyers to decide. It could bring less- desirable people who don't have a stake and would not treat it as well as permanent residents OR it could bring in revenue until you are ready to inhabit.

Those cabins in Mich I spoke of are like that- thery were rented and generated nice income, the place did not turn into ghetto at all. People paid good money to rent for a week and respected the homes they rented, based on a 25 years we had that place. We could take our cabin out of the rental pool when we wanted to use it- for a week or 2 or whatever. It all comes down to management, at that point.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Lol. Pick a different word than "customer", then. "Home buyer"? "User of dwelling"? "Person who pays for a house"? "Consumer"?

Nobody is out to get you. I appreciate your input as you are a good sounding board, been around the block.

It can't please everyone. If you offer everything under the sun; it'd price many of us out. You need to realistically approach developing a community as a business, with a plan. I'll try for what the majority requests.

Putting a bunch of money into real estate is an investment- no 2 ways about it. It will be more successful if it appreciates in value for the people who invest. It becomes an attractive investment. I always purchase a house with the expectation that I (or my kids) will sell it someday, hopefully for more than I paid. I don't want an albatross.

These units could be something a person buys into when they are 50, planning for retiring there someday in 15 years. Would we allow these to be rented out short-term? That would be up to the initial buyers to decide. It could bring less- desirable people who don't have a stake and would not treat it as well as permanent residents OR it could bring in revenue until you are ready to inhabit.

Those cabins in Mich I spoke of are like that- thery were rented and generated nice income, the place did not turn into ghetto at all. People paid good money to rent for a week and respected the homes they rented, based on a 25 years we had that place. We could take our cabin out of the rental pool when we wanted to use it- for a week or 2 or whatever. It all comes down to management, at that point.
    Thank you for your post, it clarified your vision substantially. :)

I didn't think anyone was 'out to get me' Do I really come across as stupidly paranoid? and I am rather familiar with real estate investments and the potential income options...which is why I asked about target customers.

Not sure I'd be comfortable with non-owners on property in today's environment... although I can see the appeal of having a range as an offered amenity for airB&B's. :machine:

I think you have some really grand ideas; not sure yet if they'd be a fit for me at this point; perhaps they'll appeal to other TGT'ers with equally deep pockets. :)

Thanks again ~

Top Bottom