• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Does anybody use the Mesa Tactical barrel or magazine clamps on their Mossberg 500 shotguns?

Mesa Tactical: Barrel and Magazine Clamps : Products

Per Brownells website, these are fit to the Remington 870 and will work on Benelli's. Apparently, the Mossberg barrel has a smaller outside diameter making the fit too loose so Mesa does not recommend them for Mossbergs. Since one of the clamps fits onto both the barrel and mag tube, I am wondering if you shimmed a strip of silicone (high temp) rubber or Teflon around the barrel that would be adequate.

Do others mount a Picatinny-based lights on their Mossberg's? If so, what works for you?

Thanks

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have had good luck with this one. It is kind of bulky, but clamps securely and gives you alot of options. It is pretty cheap also. SHT-070 - Leapers UTG Universal Shotgun TriRal Barrel Mount 5 Slot Holds Tactical Flashlights Laser and Other Accessories It is more for mounting a standard flashlight to your gun though.

The only way to make yours work would be to grind some out of the middle so it clamps tighter. There is a lot of recoil with a shotgun, and the mount will slide if it isn't tight.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have an AimShot MT-61178 clamp holding a SureFire 6P to my Mossberg Persuader, and couldn't be more happy! Here are some pics...

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

I like it because it completely encompasses the barrel and the flashlight, something earlier clamps I tried didn't. I found they had a bad habit of letting loose, but that hasn't occurred with the AimShot...that sucker holds the flashlight on there tight! And, it's not a bad deal at ~$25, and while a bit bulky as well, at least I know it's going to hold!

Cheers! M2

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I have an AimShot MT-61178 clamp holding a SureFire 6P to my Mossberg Persuader, and couldn't be more happy! Here are some pics...

I like it because it completely encompasses the barrel and the flashlight, something earlier clamps I tried didn't. I found they had a bad habit of letting loose, but that hasn't occurred with the AimShot...that sucker holds the flashlight on there tight! And, it's not a bad deal at ~$25, and while a bit bulky as well, at least I know it's going to hold!

Cheers! M2

It doesn't look too bulky the way that you used it for only one light diectly onto the barrel. I may bite the bullet and get a 1" tube type of light.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I have had good luck with this one. It is kind of bulky, but clamps securely and gives you alot of options. It is pretty cheap also. SHT-070 - Leapers UTG Universal Shotgun TriRal Barrel Mount 5 Slot Holds Tactical Flashlights Laser and Other Accessories It is more for mounting a standard flashlight to your gun though.

The only way to make yours work would be to grind some out of the middle so it clamps tighter. There is a lot of recoil with a shotgun, and the mount will slide if it isn't tight.

Looks kind of bulky, but it looks like you can leave off the rail at 6 o'clock position since the clamping screws go into the rails at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Hey major, is it possible to use that clamp for directly under the barrel? instead of off set? I plan on buying a scabbard for my mossberg 500 when I get it and I want a tac light but if it is off set it wont fit. any info?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Maybe with a different flashlight; but with the SureFire 6P (which mine has a 120-lumen bulb in it, so instant sunshine! :p), it is too long to mount directly under the barrel and the magazine interferes with it...

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Thanks for the imput so far.

Did a lot of internet searching last night and found out that Streamlight makes a clamp for the mag tube that gives you a one slot rail. With that I can mount my TLR-1 and add the shotgun remote cable on the forearm. May go that route. Anybody use such a rig?

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Mine uses a clamping device made for mounting a laser and fits my Defender magazine perfectly. I added a double sided rail and some 1" scope clamps. It's solid as a rock but easily removed.
    Winchester1300005.jpg

Winchester1300008.jpg

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Mine uses a clamping device made for mounting a laser and fits my Defender magazine perfectly. I added a double sided rail and some 1" scope clamps. It's solid as a rock but easily removed.
    Winchester1300005.jpg

Winchester1300008.jpg
    Were did you get that? That is a great idea, I think it's just what I've been looking for.

mucho12ga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Houston
    I highly recommend CDM Gear Tactical Shotgun Clamps Page as well. I have one on my 870 that I will post up soon. The mossberg ones are even nicer as they fit in that little nook and out of the way when mounted. Only issue is he can barely keep up with demand but it's worth the wait. Great to deal with.

He's also a regular on shotgunworld.com under candewman.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I highly recommend CDM Gear Tactical Shotgun Clamps Page as well. I have one on my 870 that I will post up soon. The mossberg ones are even nicer as they fit in that little nook and out of the way when mounted. Only issue is he can barely keep up with demand but it's worth the wait. Great to deal with.

He's also a regular on shotgunworld.com under candewman.

wow, those clamps look nice and are very versatile. I ended going with a clamp that Streamlight makes mounted it near the end of the mag tube and put a shotgun extension switch on the fore-end. The clamp is plastic, but appears to be fiber reinforced. It feels very strong and clamps securely. We'll see how it works out, probably not the best if you plan to remove and reinstall frequently.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    I went with the LaserLyte rail + La Rue Offset + Fenix pd30. The QD mount is great for swapping out the light on other long guns and will save you money in the long run.

mucho12ga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Houston
    Mucho12ga - thanks for the recomendation, looks like I've got to spend some money.

You're welcome :) You'll like it. The one on my 870 has a TLR-1 on the right side that I can easily actuate with my index finger. The light floods enough to light up my front sight which makes it stand out greatly. No need for any night sights and the set up is only about $150.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i recently saw a "tri-rail" clamp on accessory that goes on the magazine tube.
    could slap any light plus a laser or something ont here weasily enough.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I realized that I never posted what I decided to do with my Mossberg. Here are some pics showing 3-point sling, shell carrier, Streamlight / mount, and Meprolight tritium bead.

I apologize for the over-wide photos, but I am not very experienced at attaching images.

IMG_1051..jpg IMG_1053..jpg IMG_1055..jpg IMG_1056..jpg

Top Bottom