Hurley's Gold

Switching to A2 fixed style buffer tube??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdadams195000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    crosby
    Ok guys I want to change one of my collapsible stock lowers and add this stock AR-15/M16 SNIPER STOCK - Brownells
    That being said the desription says it is for an A2 style fixed buffer tube. So how do I go about replacing this. Obviously i need a new tube, spring, and buffer. But i read several threads that talked about different size screws and something about a spacer so that got me confused. Any suggestions or help? Its going on a plum crazy lower. (No bashing the Plum Crazy Lowers I have 5 and two of them have thousands of rounds through them with zero problems so please stick to the question lol)
    Target Sports

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    To the OP -- what you are going to need is an A2 style buffer tube (sometimes called a receiver extention). You will probably be able to reuse your existing buffer and spring. Sleepless posted a link to a spacer - this does not look to be required.

What you are going to need is an A2 style buffer tube and the corresponding screw. The procedure for changing follows below.

1. Remove the upper.
    2. Remove the buffer and spring
    3. Loosen the castle nut using an armorer's wrench
    4. Turn the buffer tube to the left to unscrew the adjustable buffer tube out of the lower receiver. *Warning* There are two springs that are under tension that will come out if you are not paying attention. The first is the buffer retainer and spring, and will come out after a turn or less of the buffer tube. The other is the takedown spring and detent, and will come out after approximately 1/8 turn of the buffer tube. This spring is located in the lower receiver, at approximately the 4:30 position relative to the buffer tube. Don't lose either of these springs or detents.
    5. Continue to unscrew the adjustable buffer tube until it falls out of the lower
    6. Screw in the A2 style buffer tube, making sure to install the buffer detent and spring just prior to bottoming out the buffer tube. Then tighten the buffer tube to exactly two gunts worth of torque.
    7. Slide on the replacement stock - it may help to drop the buffer tube in the freezer immediately prior to installation. This will reduce the size of the buffer by a slight amount and make sliding the replacement stock over the buffer tube a little easier.
    8. Before you seat the replacement stock, make sure the takedown pin detent and spring are in their location. Then seat the stock fully.
    9. Install the screw throught the back end of the stock, and tighten it down.

It's not difficult to do, and the only required tools are an armorer's wrench, a flathead screwdriver, and a buddy (or bench vice).

Links to required parts -
    A2 style buffer tube -- RECEIVER EXTENSION TUBE - Brownells
    A2 stock screw -- BUTT STOCK SCREW, UPPER, A2 - Brownells

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Do not use a carbine buffer and spring in a rifle receiver extension. The gas key on the bolt carrier will smash the hell out it's self and the lower receiver because the buffer isn't physically long enough. Likewise you can't use a rifle buffer in a carbine receiver extension because it's physically too long and doesn't let the bolt carrier group go back all the way.

The "A2" tube is the standard rifle receiver extension. It works for both A1 stocks and A2 stocks, but with the A2 you need a little plastic spacer.

Finally there are plenty of other great stock options out there for the price of that sniper stock that use the receiver extension you already have.

Top Bottom