• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Starting to look at going down the rabbit hole of suppressors.

The following is what (I think) I know.

All of these points are assuming all the threads on the barrels are the same (thread/diameter/rotation) between firearms ( I know they’re not, this is just an assumptions for the theory/discussion ).

1. Suppressors gently advertise a dB reduction in noise, ie 24 dB reduction.
    Is this reduction across the velocities spectrum? Do you get the same noise reduction, shooting subsonic ammo as you do supersonic ammo?

2. Suppressors serve one of two functions,
    A. Reduce your firearms noise signature (ie shooting supersonic ammo).

B. Minimize your firearms noise signature (ie shooting subsonic ammo).

3. Suppressors are sized for a diameter, so you could use a 9mm suppressor on a 380, a 40 on a 10 mm., or a 308 on a 300BO, etc.

4. You can use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller, caliber, firearm, but it’s effectiveness would be reduced.

5. Suppressors are designed (not sure if it’s pressures or gas volume) to either be for a pistol or a rifle. Pistol rated suppressors generally will be smaller and lighter than the rifle rated suppressors.
    (Not sure if you can use a pistol rated suppressor on a pistol caliber carbine? Or 22 cal pistol suppressor on a 22 cal rifle?)

6. Some suppressors can be multi calipers with swappable end caps to accommodate different diameter projectiles. I would assume this would be slightly less effective, since the baffles could be larger than the diameter of the projectile, internally.

7. Is there any issue with purchasing 3 or 4 suppressors at the same time? What type of list does that get you on?

8. A bolt action rifle or lever action rifle would see more overall noise reduction from a suppressor then a semiautomatic due to the bolt remaining closed.

What other considerations am I not thinking about with this? Are any of my assumptions wrong?

Are QD mounts for suppressors, standalone, aftermarket purchases? Are they worth it?

Thanks

IMG_4855.jpeg

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

All of these points are assuming all the threads on the barrels are the same (thread/diameter/rotation) between firearms ( I know they’re not, this is just an assumptions for the theory/discussion ).

Is this reduction across the velocities spectrum? Do you get the same noise reduction, shooting subsonic ammo as you do supersonic ammo?

3. Suppressors are sized for a diameter, so you could use a 9mm suppressor on a 380, a 40 on a 10 mm., or a 308 on a 300BO, etc.

4. You can use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller, caliber, firearm, but it’s effectiveness would be reduced.

5. Suppressors are designed (not sure if it’s pressures or gas volume) to either be for a pistol or a rifle. Pistol rated suppressors generally will be smaller and lighter than the rifle rated suppressors.
    (Not sure if you can use a pistol rated suppressor on a pistol caliber carbine? Or 22 cal pistol suppressor on a 22 cal rifle?)

6. Some suppressors can be multi calipers with swappable end caps to accommodate different diameter projectiles. I would assume this would be slightly less effective, since the baffles could be larger than the diameter of the projectile, internally.

7. Is there any issue with purchasing 3 or 4 suppressors at the same time? What type of list does that get you on?

8. A bolt action rifle or lever action rifle would see more overall noise reduction from a suppressor then a semiautomatic due to the bolt remaining closed.

What other considerations am I not thinking about with this? Are any of my assumptions wrong?

Are QD mounts for suppressors, standalone, aftermarket purchases? Are they worth it?
    The /NFA subreddit is a wealth of information.
    Silencer Shop and NFAreview channels on YouTube are also great.

QD mounts are a whole nother can o worms.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Is this reduction across the velocities spectrum? Do you get the same noise reduction, shooting subsonic ammo as you do supersonic ammo? Subsonic doesn't break the sound barrier. So I think the answer is no.

B. Minimize your firearms noise signature (ie shooting subsonic ammo). They also hide the muzzle flash
    3. Suppressors are sized for a diameter, so you could use a 9mm suppressor on a 380, a 40 on a 10 mm., or a 308 on a 300BO, etc. Most cans go something like this. .22, .30, .46

4. You can use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller, caliber, firearm, but it’s effectiveness would be reduced. Correct but you don't lose much

5. Suppressors are designed (not sure if it’s pressures or gas volume) to either be for a pistol or a rifle. Pistol rated suppressors generally will be smaller and lighter than the rifle rated suppressors. Correct

6. Some suppressors can be multi calipers with swappable end caps to accommodate different diameter projectiles. I would assume this would be slightly less effective, since the baffles could be larger than the diameter of the projectile, internally. Correct. But they still work good.

7. Is there any issue with purchasing 3 or 4 suppressors at the same time? What type of list does that get you on? No I have 5. ATF doesn't care is you get 1 or 10

8. A bolt action rifle or lever action rifle would see more overall noise reduction from a suppressor then a semiautomatic due to the bolt remaining closed. Correct

Are QD mounts for suppressors, standalone, aftermarket purchases? Are they worth it? Only if the can is going to be jumping around on different guns.

Thanks

View attachment 391547
    IMHO, A suppressor is the best thing you can put on a gun. Other than good glass.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Generally yes. But keep in mind a supressor cannot reduce supersonic crack since it occurs after bullet has left silencer. Also, lower velocities for same bullet weight tend to indicate less powder, so reduction point starts lower, and lower it starts, less overall dbs.

They reduce noise, reduce felt recoil, reduce flash, in some cases can slightly increase bullet velocity and tighten groups.

Most are all designed for a specific pressure. So 40S&W silencer might get destroyed if used with a full power 10mm load.

Maybe maybe not. Larger caliber silencers often have more volume, and that can offset the larger bore.

They are rated mostly for bore and pressure.

That was a fad a few years ago but not common

No You are on the NFTR list when you buy any NFA firearm.

Maybe maybe not. Too many factors. There will almost certainly be less noise at the breech and shooters ear.

Thanks

Cost, materials, weight, change in POI, mount method, serviceability.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    My phone thumb response will be limited, but I chose a 45 pistol can to shoot everything with one supressor. Even 22lr is quiet through it despite the 45 hole. Only pistol rounds are slow enough to be subsonic so for a rifle supressor, I consider it more as a blast reduction vs supressor with any real bullet. I chose a shorter less effective dB reduction for my rifles based on that. Get the best mounting option so you can move it around easily.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Imho, avoid modular/multi caliber cans. They are either going to be big and heavy, or louder.

If you are looking at suppressing multiple guns, having multiple cans is a far better option. You can buy as many cans as you want, there's no limit.

I at least recommend a dedicated rimfire suppressor. While you can shoot .22lr through say, a .30 caliber suppressor, .22 is dirty and you will clog your suppressor before too long. Also you really don't want some huge ass can hanging off a .22

Subsonic ammo/calibers suppress the best, a suppressed will always dampen some sound, but supersonic ammo/calibers will still have a distinct "crack". The smaller the subsonic caliber, typically the quieter it will be. .22 is the quietest, 9mm 147 or 158gr will be a bit louder, .45 will be louder still... This also depends on which suppressor you are using. A lot goes into it. I suggest looking at pew science, and if you can handle it, r/nfa on reddit

It's important to keep in mind what your suppressor is rated for, most if not all 9mm pistol cans are rated for use in a PCC. A .22 can will fit on an AR15, but it won't be pretty if you pull that trigger

I started with a .30 caliber can, then a .22, then a 5.56 that I'm still waiting on.

If i could do that over, I'd get the .22 first, 5.56, and probably a good pistol/pcc can. To me, suppressed centerfire pistols kinda suck, but a suppressed MP5 is probably the best gun/suppressor combo ever made, and is the only use i have for a pistol can. I do shoot a good amount of .30-06, but it's from an M1 Garand. I tried suppressing it, but couldn't get it to run reliably. It sounded amazing though. I shoot more 5.56, .22, and 9mm than any other caliber. Whatever you shoot the most of, your cans should reflect that.

Also realize chasing Db reduction may come at the cost of other desirable factors. A can may be very quiet, but it may be extremely gassy. A can may be a bit loud, but it may mean you won't have to heavily tune your gun to it.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I forgot to add, i like a good QD system. Real QD, because there are circumstances where a suppressor may not be advisable. Shooting long range in Texas heat will give you extremely bad mirage in as little as a single round, you may be shooting a bunch, and you'll get bad mirage. You may be in a situation where length is critical and an extra 5" or so is too much :rolleyes:, etc.

I like flash hiders, and surefire makes some of the best, plus they make the most combat tested suppressor around, and they've been around forever.

But my .22 can is made by OSS, sorry "HuXWrKz", and the 9mm can I'm looking at next will probably be the GSL Phoenix.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

Thanks

View attachment 391547
    Alright…I’m going to answer most questions best I can. There will be members that disagree with me but hear me out:

All material is rated for pressure. Metals of various kinds also have parent material on the surface. So let’s use a suppressor body, baffles and end cap made from aluminum as example one. This suppressor will be fine with 22lr. Overtime the parent material will get eaten away by gas and powder. If walls and baffles are thick enough lifespan is around a few thousand easy.

So you will notice most cans are stainless or titanium. Weight making these two vastly different, pressure wise both are able to handle most center fire rounds. But always go by what the manufacturer recommends.

I’m not an expert with accessories. I’m just sharing my experiences and knowledge as a former machinist who worked for an 07. There was testing done by us that made me not believe what the industry claims. Matching diameter end cap and baffle size as close to a seal as safely possible is bullshit. It’s a claim folks use to make more money off consumers. We found increase of a minimum of .015 per side to much larger produces deeper tones.

Supersonic will always have a crack. Its effects can be debated from the shooters perspective. It’s a supersonic projectile no matter what still moving that fast.

Point of aim shifts. So be aware if you use disconnect mounts.

The best cans are the ones with the best baffle design. Just gotta look and try and maybe it’s a good design. Sound cancels itself. There are manufacturers that just put flat baffles in and people don’t understand why it’s nothing special. Where the basics of sound cancellation come from probably go back to the sparrow design.

Last edited:

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I say if a full auto rated suppressor is available buy it. You never know a machine gun could be in your future.
    Thank you so much!

I am going to read your statement that you have decided to leave me your G3 in your Will.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that….

:machine:

;)

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin

Thanks

View attachment 391547
    I think suppressors also serve to reduce flash, both for you and those looking at you in low light.

I think they also have the added benefit of a more consistent recoil cycle.

There’s no free lunch, that also increase back pressure which could result in gas in your face. They also add weight to the front of your gun (duh).

Take this with a grain of salt, I’m also new to suppressors!

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I think suppressors also serve to reduce flash, both for you and those looking at you in low light.

I think they also have the added benefit of a more consistent recoil cycle.

There’s no free lunch, that also increase back pressure which could result in gas in your face. They also add weight to the front of your gun (duh).

Take this with a grain of salt, I’m also new to suppressors!

It depends on the ammo used, as well as the suppressed.

Some suppressors are awful when it comes to flash reduction. Some may have replaceable endcaps that have flash hiders built in which can help, but from what I've seen still aren't as good at FR compared to cans that are built with that in mind

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom