• ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    This for the win. It’s scary silent.

Op: if you don’t go with a 17 and are hell bent on a 22lr then consider a 9mm carbine too. A 147 grain sub will reach out to a 100 in a hog sized group if you get used to where you need to hold.
    Ummm, it’s supersonic. I wouldn’t call that scary quiet.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The can used on the 17 was a ruger rimfire can. Their sr model? I was impressed. You would think I should still hear a big crack. The crack wasn’t bad.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It just depends on the range. I mean if he’s gonna reach out there he’s just gonna have to deal with some noise.

But if it’s 100-200 yards I still think a .17 is the way to go. It’s easier on the ears than high velocity 22lr threw most cans. Correction: with the right can. I don’t know what ruger did but it works good and won’t be expensive. That ruger can made 22lr supersonic ammo sound great. There’s other factors like where you shoot. Big open area will sound different than a enclosed area. But by the time your neighbors are sleeping and you pop a critter, I highly doubt they would wake up.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    It just depends on the range. I mean if he’s gonna reach out there he’s just gonna have to deal with some noise.

But if it’s 100-200 yards I still think a .17 is the way to go. It’s easier on the ears than high velocity 22lr threw most cans. Correction: with the right can. I don’t know what ruger did but it works good and won’t be expensive. That ruger can made 22lr supersonic ammo sound great. There’s other factors like where you shoot. Big open area will sound different than a enclosed area. But by the time your neighbors are sleeping and you pop a critter, I highly doubt they would wake up.
    While suppressed subsonic rimfire is a boatload of fun, I think a 22 is the wrong choice for Coyotes.
    He would be much better suited with a 30 cal.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    While suppressed subsonic rimfire is a boatload of fun, I think a 22 is the wrong choice for Coyotes.
    He would be much better suited with a 30 cal.
    I generally agree. 22lr can dispatch a yote at 80 yards no problem. Why 80? That’s the range I’m confident in with the right gun for good shot placement. I think op should identify the expected range. I mean maybe he can go with a supersonic 223 bolt gun and deal with the crack.

Being in the country, a good insulated home, my ruger American ranch 223 with my hybrid 46 is hardly going to bother anyone. I was told when shooting mine my in laws could barely notice.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    A
    Looking for a suppressed .22 with rails to kill some coyotes without upsetting the neighbors.

Fuckers killed our little havernese last night and have replaced feral hogs at the top of my free-fire list.
    Alternative- first sorry for your heartbreak
    Why the suppressor? Just buy some subsonic .22lr and fire as you bear!
    I shot three water moccasins last year about a week apart with a 9mm and only one neighbor asked what I shot at, then he thanked me!

If you live in a neighborhood, consider a 9mm air rifle, cheaper than a suppressor, no registration, no wait. Safer in confined areas. You can even buy suppressed air rifles and I do not believe that they require BATFE approval. If you live outside a city and NO HOA nazis around just clear your field of fire and shoot whatever weapon that will do the job.

Suppressors are cool and when the dust settles from our new law, I'll buy one just for target shooting .22 shorts.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Feel your pain, no good coyotes in my book.
    Had a coyote run off with my daughter's chihuahua awhile back, while my son let her out to do her business in the morning.

My son was actually outside and saw the sneaky bastard run off with her.

Broke my heart to tell her that the dog she had since age 2 (now 16 at the time) was gone.

Tried baiting it in the yard but never had any luck, though I hear them every night.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Feel your pain, no good coyotes in my book.
    Had a coyote run off with my daughter's chihuahua awhile back, while my son let her out to do her business in the morning.

My son was actually outside and saw the sneaky bastard run off with her.

Broke my heart to tell her that the dog she had since age 2 (now 16 at the time) was gone.

Tried baiting it in the yard but never had any luck, though I hear them every night.

Thanks. He was a pain in the ass, but we loved him.

I miss him barking like an idiot when we walk in the door.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    A 10/22 with a sparrow will certainly take care of your needs. You could spend a lot more with very little improvement in results.

The choice of optics may make the difference in its effectiveness. Look at the optics over the tool

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    My personal favorite is a Ruger American Rimfire Predator (in OD Green) with a 556 can and Remington CBee22 ammo. Not as quite as others but the hollow points are silent and deadly on armadillos in the yard.

The same can on a 10/22 with CCI subs is also very quiet.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My personal favorite is a Ruger American Rimfire Predator (in OD Green) with a 556 can and Remington CBee22 ammo. Not as quite as others but the hollow points are silent and deadly on armadillos in the yard.

I heard a 10/22 with a can and subsonic ammo. You only heard the firing pin drop as the action did not cycle. Movie quiet.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I heard a 10/22 with a can and subsonic ammo. You only heard the firing pin drop as the action did not cycle. Movie quiet.
    I’ve fired rounds that did not cycle the action and were very quiet and some that did and were almost as quiet. In the 10/22 I prefer almost as quiet that do cycle. With the bolt gun, I’ll take the most quiet I can get that aren’t just CB.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

Here’s mine with a dedicated rimfire can.
    5280D397-297D-47D2-B499-FD68CDE7F818.jpeg

I don not prefer the CeeBees, I prefer Federal American Eagle Suppressor 22.

Top Bottom