• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    LGS is really fair on prices and the nearest Academy is a 45 minute drive one-way plus fuel and lunch. Plus the selection is good from bargin guns to the more expensive stuff. I'd rather give a them my business instead of being treated like a turd when you buy a gun from Academy.

My #2 gun store is GT Distributors in Pflugerville and that's over an hour drive for me. I'll just go there to see what kind of deals they have there. Might be a trade-in pistols or ammo and sometimes cheap used mags. Just depends how lucky you are when you visit.
    Shiner has one that opened up at at the old Ford dealership just west of town on HWY90. Have you ever tried them out?

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Shiner has one that opened up at at the old Ford dealership just west of town on HWY90. Have you ever tried them out?
    It's been open for a few years now but I have never stopped by to check it out. They have odd hours so it's rare to see them open.

There's fairly new gunshop in town by the donut shop at the intersection of 90-A and Hwy 95. It's called Shiner Tactical.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    It's been open for a few years now but I have never stopped by to check it out. They have odd hours so it's rare to see them open.

There's fairly new gunshop in town by the donut shop at the intersection of 90-A and Hwy 95. It's called Shiner Tactical.
    Huh, didn’t remember seeing that one. I’ll need to check it out next time I’m there.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Huh, didn’t remember seeing that one. I’ll need to check it out next time I’m there.
    Screenshot_20240724-175612_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240724-175642_Maps.jpg

Southeast corner of the intersection of Hwy 90-A East and Hwy 95 North pretty much in between the 2 gas stations a block apart.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Your LGS is looking for long-term repeat customers who don’t give them headaches.

Try going to Academy with a newly-discovered gun malfunction on the afternoon before season opener.

Yes, R&M does recently have some odd hours open; closed Saturday, Sunday, & Monday IIRC. This has cost them some business, even with me; but Ronnie feels it is worth it.

i appreciate their expertise, selection, & customer service.

Example: A couple years back, I wanted to buy a carbine on a Friday afternoon, and the federal quick-check system was down but I had a current Texas CL. A call to ATF resulted in a misunderstanding in that the Agent they spoke with wrongly assumed that i was using my LA CL, which isn’t allowed in lieu of a ncis approval. They worked on it until they got another ATF agent on the phone on Sunday morning; then called me to pick the carbine up. They had stayed open just to make sure I got my carbine.

That is CUSTOMER SERVICE, and I appreciated it.

Anyone think Mr. Academy would do that for any customer ?

leVieux

<>

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    <>

Your LGS is looking for long-term repeat customers who don’t give them headaches.

Try going to Academy with a newly-discovered gun malfunction on the afternoon before season opener.

Yes, R&M does recently have some odd hours open; closed Saturday, Sunday, & Monday IIRC. This has cost them some business, even with me; but Ronnie feels it is worth it.

i appreciate their expertise, selection, & customer service.

Example: A couple years back, I wanted to buy a carbine on a Friday afternoon, and the federal quick-check system was down but I had a current Texas CL. A call to ATF resulted in a misunderstanding in that the Agent they spoke with wrongly assumed that i was using my LA CL, which isn’t allowed in lieu of a ncis approval. They worked on it until they got another ATF agent on the phone on Sunday morning; then called me to pick the carbine up. They had stayed open just to make sure I got my carbine.

That is CUSTOMER SERVICE, and I appreciated it.

Anyone think Mr. Academy would do that for any customer ?

leVieux

<>
    Ronnie has always been very customer-oriented. On my last visit, Mark was in the hospital. I have known Ronnie since BEFORE he even had a storefront and Dean was a little boy, besides they have always been more than fair. 95% of all firearms in my safe have been purchased at R&M.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    How much more are you willing to pay, to support a local gun business?

As a general rule I'm will pay a little extra to a local business, then order online for a better price. but how much more? at what point do you say "I'll just order it online"?
    I was looking for some 10/22 magazines for my son, A quick search online found it for $39.99 (2 pack) with free standard shipping. Stepped into my local gun shop here in Katy, and found the exact same product for $69,99 + Tax. I will gladly pay more just to support our local shops, but it doesn't justify almost 60% over in my opinion.

Anyway got it from Carter's Country on I-10 for $48.97.

View attachment 463637
    Which one in Katy ? just curious I have bought some things from Guns and Gear on Mason

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Which one in Katy ? just curious I have bought some things from Guns and Gear on Mason

<>

I’ll accept 10 or 20% over for my LGS.

If not reasonable at any LGS, I’ll go on-line to Midway, NATCHEZ, Cabela’s, etc.

I do buy things from Academy, just not guns or gun-related items. In a pinch, I will buy ammo there, or from WM.

Years back, I learned that all shotgun shells bearing the same numbers, or similar, are not equal. So I buy most shells from R&M, as Ronnie recommends. In recent years, he has sold cases of excellent shells made in
    texas. O/W I get them at a very reputable LGS nearer where i live.

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom