• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nofir55

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    How much more are you willing to pay, to support a local gun business?

As a general rule I'm will pay a little extra to a local business, then order online for a better price. but how much more? at what point do you say "I'll just order it online"?
    I was looking for some 10/22 magazines for my son, A quick search online found it for $39.99 (2 pack) with free standard shipping. Stepped into my local gun shop here in Katy, and found the exact same product for $69,99 + Tax. I will gladly pay more just to support our local shops, but it doesn't justify almost 60% over in my opinion.

Anyway got it from Carter's Country on I-10 for $48.97.

main.jpg

Attachments

• main.jpg
      main.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 30

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Like you OP I try to support the local guy.
    Problem is they very rarely have what I’m after.
    I’ll give them 15% or so but over that I’m going on-line.
    Local guy pretty much stocks the same stuff Academy has so if I want 1911 mags, Pro-Shot cleaning stuff, holsters for a Walther, etc I gotta go on-line anyway.

Nofir55

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    Like you OP I try to support the local guy.
    Problem is they very rarely have what I’m after.
    I’ll give them 15% or so but over that I’m going on-line.
    Local guy pretty much stocks the same stuff Academy has so if I want 1911 mags, Pro-Shot cleaning stuff, holsters for a Walther, etc I gotta go on-line anyway.
    Academy didn't hike prices during the ammo shortage, I'll give'm that.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I think a lot of us prefer to support local ffl's but it has to be within reason. I'll shell out a little more if the dealer isn't a dick. Some of these coots act like they're doing you a favor just for letting you walk in the door.

True.
    A mom&pop opened here a few years ago.
    Pop was the gun guy. The mom was in the shop most of the time.
    Pop started ripping people off. Stuff like pre paying on ordering a gun. Then when it came in “They” raised the price on it $75. Wouldn’t let you have it until you paid the mysterious price increase.
    Another trick he liked to pull was “If we don’t have it we can order it”. He would charge you full retail+shipping+tax.
    Best part he would wait until he stacked up a ton of orders before he would place the order.
    It might be months before you got your item.
    Now remember each and every person in that order was paying shipping. I told the ashwipe I’ll order my own stuff and have it dropped at the house for %30 less.
    He absolutely would not bargain. For example I was looking for a Springfield Range Officer 1911. Academy had on for $799. This schmuck wanted $1400. Wouldn’t budge. So I bought it from Academy. The sales tax difference was substantial.
    Word got around quickly. He didn’t last 3yrs.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I try to make all of my firearms related purchase from my local gun shop.
    When I know I can get it cheaper, I let him know and as long as he makes any effort, he gets my business.

I have two choices in town. Academy or my local family owned shop. I usualy don't even bother with Academy.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Although i’ve been 400, now 230 miles away, I still consider R&M down US59 as “my gun shop”. Living our of state, even having a long-time Texas CL, I can’t buy pistols there, so i do patronize a couple shops near where I now live.
    Some of my tenets are:
    Academy is for T-shirts, ice chest repair parts, & lawn chairs
    Never leave a LGS w/o buying something.
    There is no such thing as too much ammo unless your place is on fire.
    Find a REAL Gunsmith, then don’t rush him.
    Don’t ask to handle a gun unless you are seriously considering buying it
    Never ‘’tell stories’’ at your LGS; that’s what bars are for.

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Never ‘’tell stories’’ at your LGS
    Depends on the owner.
    Back in the day, some of us gun guys would hang out at a small Midwestern LGS Friday night after work. We'd see what came in that week, haggle, and shoot the shit. It was fun to hang out with the old timers even though a couple of them were fudds. The owner was good people. This particular American experience is dying...and it's sad.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I don’t understand the LGS charging premium prices. Yes they are brick and mortar, but aren’t most of the online deals from brick and mortar? There‘s one in Spring Branch (Houston) with pretty good prices but he doesn’t keep stock outside of consignments. Almost 100% you have to order and wait a week or two. But, no shipping charges and no separate FFL charges. He beats Buds and PSA on a lot of stuff once shipping and FFL are factored in

Nofir55

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    I don’t understand the LGS charging premium prices. Yes they are brick and mortar, but aren’t most of the online deals from brick and mortar? There‘s one in Spring Branch (Houston) with pretty good prices but he doesn’t keep stock outside of consignments. Almost 100% you have to order and wait a week or two. But, no shipping charges and no separate FFL charges. He beats Buds and PSA on a lot of stuff once shipping and FFL are factored in
    you're right, I think most of the online stores are also brick and mortar stores, PSA has tones of locations around NC & SC

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I've had good luck getting internet or better pricing on accessories and firearms from the local stores (all of them also have ranges). The only recent exception was a gun I bought from ModGuns since *nobody* had it local, and turns out there is a will-call option (they are about 1 hour from me). Very nice people, helpful and prices are good. Not sure if it qualifies as a local store or not. LOL

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a couple of local gun shops I support when I can (The Gun Shack and Helotes Tactical).

They are small, friendly places that may not have the largest inventory; but when I can I like to spend my money there!

However, "supporting" means more than just handing over hard-earned cash; I regularly recommend both of those shops to anyone looking to purchase, modify/upgrade or repair a firearm! I know not all endorsements lead to a sale, but sending customers their way who in turn--once they receive the same outstanding service I get--leads to more customers which in turn leads to these businesses stick around for years to come!

That is a win-win in my book!

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Very few local gun shops where I live but last time I went into one I could not get the owner to get off the phone to help me and he was on a personal call. Academy has always done good service. Wish I had a good local gun store. They have all closed down.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I support them everytime I do an FFL transfer.:cool:
    I bought a couple hats from my shooting range when I had a gun transferred there.
    Other than that it's a waste of time anywhere near me. Everything is 30-40% higher priced than all others.
    I bought my Colt Commader from local dealer but it took alot of nagging to get close to an online price.
    Haven't ever been back in that store due to they ordered an older model then what I was seeking sadly the order numbers were close to the same. They wouldn't send it back so out the door I went with what I had.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    LGS is really fair on prices and the nearest Academy is a 45 minute drive one-way plus fuel and lunch. Plus the selection is good from bargin guns to the more expensive stuff. I'd rather give a them my business instead of being treated like a turd when you buy a gun from Academy.

My #2 gun store is GT Distributors in Pflugerville and that's over an hour drive for me. I'll just go there to see what kind of deals they have there. Might be a trade-in pistols or ammo and sometimes cheap used mags. Just depends how lucky you are when you visit.

Top Bottom