• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The range I go to normally has 2-3 target stands. I am looking to buy 2-3 portable target stands to bring with me to the range to setup more competition style scenarios (holding paper torso targets).

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the type to run two vertical 1"x2"

I've used these and they were pretty good. Nevco IDPA/IPSC Standard Portable Target Stand

Any others worth considering? The only downside I've seen with the above, is they MUST be staked if there is any wind at all.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No suggestions. There are plenty of others to choose from on the Midway site that you linked.

One thought, though. If a target stand was so heavy that it didn't need to be staked, could you really call it (easily) portable?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No suggestions. There are plenty of others to choose from on the Midway site that you linked.

One thought, though. If a target stand was so heavy that it didn't need to be staked, could you really call it (easily) portable?

The actual stands used at IDPA matches I've shot don't have to be staked down. They weigh probably 15-20 pounds a piece. Not too heavy to tote around, but heavy enough to stay upright.

Might be custom jobs...or expensive though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They weigh probably 15-20 pounds a piece. Not too heavy to tote around, but heavy enough to stay upright.
    If you consider 20 pounds light enough to be portable, then I suppose you have lots more options.

For something that advertises that it doesn't need to be staked in the wind, how about this one at 25 pounds: Mega Target Stand ?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I build them out of 2x2's. Cheap so it doesn't matter if they get shot up. I typically put a rock on the legs to keep them from blowing over in high winds, but just about anything would work. A sandbag would be handy.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I build them out of 2x2's. Cheap so it doesn't matter if they get shot up. I typically put a rock on the legs to keep them from blowing over in high winds, but just about anything would work. A sandbag would be handy.
    Good idea. I do have some scrap wood around the garage and could figure out some way to weight them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Make some out of old trampoline frames. The pieces usually work well for stands and are modular. The frames are usually free too after people's tarps fall apart.

I have used the parts for steel swingers with success.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Whatever you do, I highly recommend against target stands like the ones I have. I forget who the manufacturer is but, basically the legs are detachable and attach with a wingnut and screw. They tend to be problematic. The legs fit the base very loosely, allowing the stand to blow forwards and backwards pretty significantly with any wind. Also, the screws sometimes work themselves loose and are easy to lose.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Whatever you do, I highly recommend against target stands like the ones I have. I forget who the manufacturer is but, basically the legs are detachable and attach with a wingnut and screw. They tend to be problematic. The legs fit the base very loosely, allowing the stand to blow forwards and backwards pretty significantly with any wind. Also, the screws sometimes work themselves loose and are easy to lose.

I think yours are like the ones I linked to. I liked yours overall, but out at BOTW the wind is always a beast!

shorton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    If you google "pvc target stand instructions", there are several variations that are both light and easy to carry in a vehicle (don't glue certain joints to allow for flat break down) as well as easy on the pocketbook (so as to leave more $$ for goodies). I drilled mine to allow for camping stakes to anchor the legs. I took me 20 minutes to build a couple of these target stands, and very satisfied with the results. Plus, if the kids shoot the stand, it's pennies and a 5minute repair.

Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    The portable stands I use are the MGM stands. http://mgmtargets.com/cardboard-targets/cardboard-target-stand-90-degree
    You can remove the bolts for very compact storage. They also stack very well. I have 20 in a yard cart that I use to setup ranges. They are extremely light and easy to carry. As with any portable stand (I don't consider 20lbs portable) you do need to weight them down or stake them down in gusty winds.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you google "pvc target stand instructions", there are several variations that are both light and easy to carry in a vehicle (don't glue certain joints to allow for flat break down) as well as easy on the pocketbook (so as to leave more $$ for goodies). I drilled mine to allow for camping stakes to anchor the legs. I took me 20 minutes to build a couple of these target stands, and very satisfied with the results. Plus, if the kids shoot the stand, it's pennies and a 5minute repair.

Going to build 3 of these and see how they work out.

Plan on using them not just for targets but for shooting "behind cover".

DIY: Home Made PVC Target Holders - Steve Jenkins' Blog

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    650272356dd264b6e68ce416bb60acb3.jpg

b689a8d0be090587d3478a744c7e55ed.jpg

Boom!

Top Bottom