• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slammer13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2023
    Round Rock
    Good faith question: What's all y'all position on firearm maintenance in your own garage in a suburban area? Where it is likely that passersby might see you do same for both long and sidearms? Mixed subdivision, both leftists and conservative live there.

(i.e. am I an asshole for doing this regularly?)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm a firm believer in not showing the neighbors what you have. No firearm stickers on my vehicles or signage at my house.

If you have to be in the garage then crack the door and use a fan if airflow is an issue.

It's too dang hot for that though. Why can't you clean them inside your house?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't ever have firearms in my garage but pretty much everyone in the neighborhood has seen me carrying them to and from my truck or taking pictures of them in full view of the street.

The only result that I've noticed was that I was immediately tapped to join the neighborhood patrol the last time a hurricane blocked access to the neighborhood. :)

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    While I have no firearms stickers displayed around my garage or vehicles, my neighbors may have noticed stacks of ammunition along one wall. I don't advertise nor hide the fact that I frequently shoot firearms. Most wouldn't recognize the reloading bench if they saw it.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Do as you damn well please.
    You're in Texas don't worry about the Democrats and what might spook them.
    Who knows maybe some will leave when they see just how crazy the neighbor is.
    We can only Hope

I recently sold two Long guns in the parking lot of Mc Donald's. Every drive through person got a good gander as we laughed about it.

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    I do all my cleaning in the garage because my wife doesn’t like the smell of the solvents.

If you want to be more discrete, just clip an old bedsheet to the bottom rim of the garage door with binder clips to give yourself a little more privacy and if someone inadvertently shuts the garage door it won’t damage anything.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    As others have stated, the problem is not with the sweet sensibilities of the poor dumbass libtard neighbors that you may or may not have. The problem is advertising what you have in your home to potential thieves. That is never a good idea.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

One possibly contrarian note: As a lifelong firearms owner & maintainer it is my observation that many folks “clean guns” waaaay too often.

And, according to some of their own statements, ‘’clean’’ them loaded, & with a chambered round.

I’ve found that, if one isn’t in a rush, your LGS likes to do it for you, and will even unload & check them first.

Even during a busy dove season, I do basic clean & lube after each hunt; then at season’s end have my LGS do a thorough job before storing.

Of course those with frequent range sessions will need to clean more often.

Fire away !

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Good faith question: What's all y'all position on firearm maintenance in your own garage in a suburban area? Where it is likely that passersby might see you do same for both long and sidearms? Mixed subdivision, both leftists and conservative live there.

(i.e. am I an asshole for doing this regularly?)

<>

Years back when living in Austin, we had plenty U T Faculty lib-tard neighbors, with a few regular Texans mixed-in.

We learned to be very polite but IGNORE them.

One of my personal wake-up’s was when they tried to “shame” me for using my home A/C in July one year.

<>

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    You might know all you neighbors, but there's also delivery drivers.
    Unfortunately, deliveries already gave you away with those funny stickers they put on them.

labels.png

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Do as you damn well please.
    You're in Texas don't worry about the Democrats and what might spook them.
    This^^

I actually thought this post might be a joke at first.

Really? Do whatever the **** you want to in your OWN garage. Have we gotten to the point where we're worried that our neighbors might think poorly of us for owning firearms?

If you owning and/or working on weapons on your own property offends someone, they can **** right off.

Good grief.....

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I do all my cleaning in the garage because my wife doesn’t like the smell of the solvents.

If you want to be more discrete, just clip an old bedsheet to the bottom rim of the garage door with binder clips to give yourself a little more privacy and if someone inadvertently shuts the garage door it won’t damage anything.
    I use to clean guns on my patio, until the 2 story McMansion pop up around me.

My wife never bitched about the smell of solvents, like I seldom bitched about her coloring her hair or arts supplies stank.

Top Bottom