• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    So yesterday, I was driving to work at BAMC. Seeing that there is construction out the wazzoo and there is NO parking, everyone who works there parts at Fort Sam and gets bused over (allegedly even the general uses the bus )

Anyway, so I got to the for sam gait at 0520, seeing that I don't have a car decal, I handed the nice guard my drivers license. . . . . she looked at it funny and asked me if I had a gun on me :banghead:. Wrong license. After a rather short conversation of me looking embarrassed and explaining that there were no firearms in my possession or in my vehicle, she let me by. I just felt kind of stupid. I was running kind of late as it was.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    ft sam was my last duty station - i retired from there in 2004 - i remember well after 9-11 how we had to ramp up security on the gates, they even called in national guard troops until they could get a contract bid for security guards

good times.....

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Thats why I always keep my two licenses separated, the occasion to pull the CHL is much much smaller than the regular. I did however give it to a banker one time as a second ID and she wouldn't accept it, just handed it back and said I can take a Credit Card instead...

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    thats crazy -i've also had somebody not accept it as form of ID...it's got the same state markings as my DL does......

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I don't see why she wouldn't take it, it is a form of state ID and there is no reason they shouldn't recognize it.

I've done the same a few times before, by accident and usually when a cashier asks for ID when using a credit card. I wouldn't worry about it...

Oh, and last week at BAMC I saw what appeared to be two Texas peace officers (civilian clothes, boots, cowboy hats, badges and what appeared to be 1911s) walking towards the entrance. I wasn't sure but I thought state officers weren't allowed to carry on Federal installations. I know the SAPD has had issues about it when one of their officers was at Wilford Hall. A few minutes later I saw them heading back to their car, I wondered if one of the guards informed them that they couldn't carry inside BAMC...

Cheers! M2

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    For some reason mine never has worked when I tried to use it as a debit card.

Security varies at the BAMC gate. Sometimes a mere license gets you right in with barely a look and sometimes you have to show military ID and they look at you like a criminal.

At Randolph, you can glide right in (with ID of course)

Before 9-11 I could drive right on base with just the window decal and not even stop.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Security varies at the BAMC gate. Sometimes a mere license gets you right in with barely a look and sometimes you have to show military ID and they look at you like a criminal.

At Randolph, you can glide right in (with ID of course)

Before 9-11 I could drive right on base with just the window decal and not even stop.

Heck, we use to have wrestling camp there. One of the Lt. Col use to be the instructor at West Point (and his sons wrestled at our HS). There was a tiny cement barracade that separted base and off base. We'd get in "trouble" for jumping it, but nobody cared.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I've apparently misplaced my drivers license so I've been using my CHL to buy cancer candy. I've had two people turn it down as ID, and a few more just raise their eyebrow funny at me but accepted it. They likely turned it down because they only know how to spot a fake TXDL from their TABC training and it's a Florida non-resident, but being ten years senior of the statutory requirement to purchase tobacco, it's kind of silly to be carded for it anyway.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Oh, and last week at BAMC I saw what appeared to be two Texas peace officers (civilian clothes, boots, cowboy hats, badges and what appeared to be 1911s) walking towards the entrance. I wasn't sure but I thought state officers weren't allowed to carry on Federal installations. I know the SAPD has had issues about it when one of their officers was at Wilford Hall. A few minutes later I saw them heading back to their car, I wondered if one of the guards informed them that they couldn't carry inside BAMC...

Cheers! M2
    We can carry on any base or installation when conducting official business. I go on Lackland from time to time (armed). I have gone on Ft. Sam several times (armed). I go into the federal building in San Antonio to conduct business with the FBI and get waved around the metal detectors...

You probably saw some Texas Rangers up there.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    brookE

and yes, texas peace officers can carry on post - at least fort sam houston

BAMC is a level one trauma center that brings in non military type cases to allow the doctors to get the training - so there are many instances where officers from whichever municipality have to come on for investigative purposes

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Odd, the info I got about SAPD having problems on Lackland came straight from one of its officers.

Still, I figured they were Texas Rangers, they sure looked the part! I just hope they were visiting one of their suspects, and not a fellow officer!

I personally have no problem with it, but knowing how anal-restrictive they are about firearms on base; I wasn't sure if that extended to non-Federal law enforcement as well...

Cheers! M2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom