• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alex23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    NTX
    Good you caught it.

I have kaboomed a Glock 36 by making a similar mistake. Broke the frame but amazingly the entire slide assembly was intact and Glock replaced the gun for a cut down price.

I got lucky. In a 1911 I'd probably have sustained some permanent physical injuries.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    You are lucky with your Glock.
    A couple of years ago some idiot came to Garland Public Shooting Range. When the office staff asked what ammo he would be shooting, he said +P lead reloads. The range staff told him his loads were not recommended by Glock, and it would void his warranty. He assured them he had done it in the past and he knew what he was doing. He was one lane over from me when his luck ran out. The Glock exploded sending the barrel and slide past the seven yard targets. The exploding frame cut the guy's hand and arm pretty badly. An ambulance was called to transport the dickhead to the hospital. The really sad thing is his stupidity goes down as a gun related statistic.
    As far as the 1911 goes. I have read stories about this happening in a 1911. Generally the mag is blown out of the bottom of the frame, the grip panels remain in tact, and after a mag swap, the pistol is ready to go again.
    I do not care to experience this in any type of firearm, myself.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Been away awhile. Damn, this has sure changed direction since I originally posted it.

147.gif
    sorry

It's usually ok to use the same powder charge for different projectiles of the same wt./cal.

True. Most of the time that works just fine except the bullet BC may not be identical so the ballistics may differ. Don't substitute Jacketed for lead or the reverse.

Lets talk BC....Ballistic co-efficient. Regardless what you've heard, the MODEL for BC is based upon a German Artillery shell. It is a pointy rascal and it was accepted as the model or standard for Ballistic Coeffcient. There's a lot of calculation involved but the bottom line is that your bullet is compared to that ideal round or model. The coefficient will be expressed as less that 1.0. A 1.0 is identical to the German round.

That bullet shape is a Spitzer with translates to (I think) "pointy bullet" . Gringos say "spit zer". Germans say "SPY ZER" Any time you see ballistic coefficient listed, the shape of that bullet is compared to that German model. The closer it is to that model, the more efficient it is in traveling through the air. If you use some of the ballistic calculators online, they will ask the BC, weight, velocity and altitude as i remember and calculate the trajectory of the round. Round and flat nose bullets have lousy BC. Pointy bullets have good BC. Increased air resistance in round or flat projectiles makes a more curved trajectory as speed is scrubbed off more quickly.

Tomorrow........AR-15 barrel twist and optimum bullet weights.

Flash

I've dealt with ballistics a physics classes, neat tid bit on what is "1.0" didn't know it was derived from the german round

As far as twist rates I purchased a 1:7 thinking the local range to me goes out to 600yards and it'd give me the option to try some heavier, longer, bullets at long range down the road. Going to go zero it up @50yds in the AM before the heat gets cookin to much actually.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's the Wikipedia rendition of the BC calculation. The 1.0 BC standard, as noted is that pointy German artillery projectile.

This BC formula gives the ratio of ballistic efficiency compared to the standard G1 model projectile. The standard G1 projectile originates from the "C" standard reference projectile (a 1 pound (454 g), 1 inch (25.4 mm) diameter projectile with a flat base, a length of 3 inches (76.2 mm), and a 2 inch (50.8 mm) radius tangential curve for the point) defined by the German steel, ammunition and armaments manufacturer Krupp in 1881. By definition, the G1 model standard projectile has a BC of 1 (using Imperial Units). The French Gâvre Commission decided to use this projectile as its first reference projectile, giving the G1 its name.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7]

Flash
    [/SUP]

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hope you boys put on your turbin before ya'll highjacked this thread. hehe

Top Bottom