• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samr46

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Wanted to replace OEM grips on my beretta 9MM and bought torx wrench set on Amazon. Tool Promptly stripped 2 of 4 screws. Suggestions on best way to remove stripped screws? Also where to buy decent grip screw tool. Many thanks.
    Guns International

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Depending on the recess of the screw head, could cut a slot in the screws and use a flat head screw driver or get a small screw extractor. You got to be careful with some of the grip screws, cause they may not be a common torx size, some are metric torx, My 1911 had metric torx, I went down to the hardware store and replaced them with allen head screws.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Depending on the recess of the screw head, could cut a slot in the screws and use a flat head screw driver or get a small screw extractor. You got to be careful with some of the grip screws, cause they may not be a common torx size, some are metric torx, My 1911 had metric torx, I went down to the hardware store and replaced them with allen head screws.
    This is the easiest way. Replace them with standard flat head screws. Torx and allen head grip screws come straight from hell

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I agree, and do this with everything I refurbish.

Does anyone know Why manufacturers use these odd fasteners ?

What benefit do they provide over Philips ?
    Well Philips has its own issues, typically grip screws don't need lots of torque, and philips, allen, and torx have less material between the head and the shank.

Flat head screws are easier to clean, and if needed can be removed with say, an undersized bit (up to a point) or something like a pocket knife, shell casing, etc.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Having performed more extractions than I could count as a mechanic... sometimes the best method is to drill the head off using a left handed bit. A torx should pretty well center itself and if you know the thread diameter just use a bit the same width. If you're lucky the drill bites enough to walk it out. If you're not as lucky you take the head completely off which allows grip removal and releases tension from the threads.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Having performed more extractions than I could count as a mechanic... sometimes the best method is to drill the head off using a left handed bit. A torx should pretty well center itself and if you know the thread diameter just use a bit the same width. If you're lucky the drill bites enough to walk it out. If you're not as lucky you take the head completely off which allows grip removal and releases tension from the threads.
    Love those left hand drill bits. They have worked great for me many times.
    I just can't imagine grip screws being so tight as to cause a problem unless someone used loctite on the threads.

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    Well Philips has its own issues, typically grip screws don't need lots of torque, and philips, allen, and torx have less material between the head and the shank.

Flat head screws are easier to clean, and if needed can be removed with say, an undersized bit (up to a point) or something like a pocket knife, shell casing, etc.

I did not know that. Thank you.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    The reason for a stripped hex or Torx screw heads may not be caused by over tightening.
    You may want to check how accurate your driver bit is.
    A loose fitting, out of spec driver will lead to stripping heads also.

Case in point, I picked up a cheap driver set off chinaBay, just to carry in my range bag.
    (funny, it's identical to the wheeler set offered by Larry Putts-field of Midway)
    Most of it is either decent stuff, or a size/style that is never used on a firearm, but some of it absolutely sucks, especially the smaller sizes.
    Just replaced a 1/16" Allen tip, because it was .003" undersize, and would cam & slip on a snug screw, splitting the set screw.
    It measured the same as a 1.5mm tip.
    As I come across the undersize ones, I order a replacement Wiha from McMaster-Carr.
    The Wiha was tight enough to remove the split set screw, thank God.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    The reason for a stripped hex or Torx screw heads may not be caused by over tightening.
    You may want to check how accurate your driver bit is.
    A loose fitting, out of spec driver will lead to stripping heads also.

Case in point, I picked up a cheap driver set off chinaBay, just to carry in my range bag.
    (funny, it's identical to the wheeler set offered by Larry Putts-field of Midway)
    Most of it is either decent stuff, or a size/style that is never used on a firearm, but some of it absolutely sucks, especially the smaller sizes.
    Just replaced a 1/16" Allen tip, because it was .003" undersize, and would cam & slip on a snug screw, splitting the set screw.
    It measured the same as a 1.5mm tip.
    As I come across the undersize ones, I order a replacement Wiha from McMaster-Carr.
    The Wiha was tight enough to remove the split set screw, thank God.
    Yep Wiha make excellent bits

Top Bottom