• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    For me it was important to be able to record local channels which I could not do off the air and when I had Spectrum the dvr didn't record 1/2 the time and adding local channels was expensive. Youtube-tv does it very well and their dvr is almost unlimited. Use Roku box (the one that also has a USB and HDMI port. Very happy with streaming vs cable tv and much cheaper. Also get Netflix and HBO Max.
    Texas SOT

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    my experience #1 Roku, #2 $20 onn walmart, #3 google tv
    the google is almost too slow to use, I shelved mine in favor of the walmart cheapy
    we have had our roku device forover four years and very pleaseedwith itwe triedout the fire stick about five years agobut itwould over heat and stop working!we will never go back to satelite tv servic again as long as we have internet and the rooku we have more than enough tv to watch anytime

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm watching less and less TV shows so YouTube TV and Prime usually cover our needs. My wife has a couple extra apps added and I don't know off hand what they are.

reelbump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Dallas
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about YouTube TV. Personally my girlfriend has free DirectTV streaming from her old job and we also use:
    HBO Max
    Hulu
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime
    Disney+
    Showtime
    And occasionally Peacock

mmcbeat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Fort Worth
    We prefer YouTube TV. We recently paused it for a month to try Hulu but went back to You Tube TV. We do have a back up antenna in the attic. We use a smart TV as our main TV, it is hardwired to the router, the one in bedroom is Wi-Fi. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix is free with our cell phone package, and we subscribe to Paramount +.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Finally ditched cable 2 months ago and went with Hulu. Was hoping to go with Youtube TV, but they didn't offer the History channel (I think) and that was the deciding factor.
    I'm saving over $75 a month compared to what I was paying for cable and Tivi, and now have unlimited recordings.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

All of the services seem to offer everything I don’t want to watch, but little or none of what I do want to watch.

We are on the “Beta” list for Elon Musk’s satellite based ”Star-Link” for a couple years, but nothing yet.

see: https://www.prestigeonline.com/sg/lifestyle/gadgets/elon-musk-starlink-everything-we-know/

Yet, anticipate StarLink having “packages” cleverly designed to force us to buy a bunch of crap we don’t want.

While in “theory”, competition should result in better consumer choices, so-far that hasn’t really happened.

As Ma Bell learned decades back, getting a “line” into a home grants opportunities for petty extortion.

And, as others have noted here, using multiple streaming services results in layers of overlapping & confusing control systems.

<>

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    We just watch YouTube videos and use PlutoTV which is free. We usually end up on one of the classic channels with Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Adam’s Family or old westerns like Gunsmoke, Rawhide etc. Tubi has free movies and whatnot. Now and then we do use Hulu as well. I think that’s the only one we pay for on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Hulu seems to be our best bet. HBO comes free with my internet. I have Paramount only because it was offered at $25 for a year. The other various ones like Showtime, Netflix, etc just get picked up short term throughout the year when they have new content. Still much less expensive than Dish or ither bloated packages.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    My brother uses Roku, I'm going to give that a try. Bedroom TV doesn't have wifi, it's not a smart TV, Roku will work good in there.
    Roku is just the magic box, it's 'free' offerings do not stack up to those with a monthly fee.
    As to Roku, it is better than Walmart's Onn and Google's android box which really is super slow.
    I've not tried the Amazon fire stick. or Apple's.

One of my Roku's I had to retire recently due to the remote eating batteries every 4 days. Got a new Roku 4 ($100) which is great and supports all the new .265 videos off my local media server/s. Intreresting that Amazon does not carry many Roku devices I suppose due to competition with their own.

mmcbeat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Finally ditched cable 2 months ago and went with Hulu. Was hoping to go with Youtube TV, but they didn't offer the History channel (I think) and that was the deciding factor.
    I'm saving over $75 a month compared to what I was paying for cable and Tivi, and now have unlimited recordings.
    The History channel is why we tried Hulu for a month. Before going back to YouTube we lined up the channels and decided YouTube had more channels that we would watch, just by a hair. And yeah, I do like the History channel - bummer.

Top Bottom