• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Never had a storm shelter. Then again, I'm from California; our natural disasters came from below the ground or through the brush (fires). I like the idea of a half-buried shelter though.
    Hurley's Gold

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Care to share the cost, & is there a website for your purchase?

The cost for the fiberglass is alot more than a concrete one. Concrete is about $3800 and the fiberglass is $5500.
    The place I got mine from is a mobile home dealer between Lindale and Tyler. can't remember the name of the place right now, when I get a chance I will go look for the paper work.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Looking for the same type of set up for my family. Mom and Dad are retiring this year and plan is to live in the same property.

This video is a good idea .................. of how not to do it. Glad it makes them feel better though.

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    Looking for the same type of set up for my family. Mom and Dad are retiring this year and plan is to live in the same property.

This video is a good idea .................. of how not to do it. Glad it makes them feel better though.

I dunno, man...

In the wind, rain, panic to try and get an aging parent in to the plastic bucket seems like a bad obstacle to overcome.

With the suction of a tornado, I'm not sure that a flimsy plastic lid is the way to go either, especially right next to, and inside of collapse zone of the house and all its debris.

Interesting idea and all, but, seems to have missed the trees for the forest so to speak.

TRG

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I dunno, man...

In the wind, rain, panic to try and get an aging parent in to the plastic bucket seems like a bad obstacle to overcome.

With the suction of a tornado, I'm not sure that a flimsy plastic lid is the way to go either, especially right next to, and inside of collapse zone of the house and all its debris.

Interesting idea and all, but, seems to have missed the trees for the forest so to speak.

TRG

Read above : This video is a good idea .................. of how not to do it.

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    The wife and I had one put in our house this past spring. We opted for an above ground steel shelter anchored to the garage floor. Thought about all of the options and made our choice because it's what worked best for us. We don't have to risk debris to go outside to a shelter and we don't have to worry about flooding. It's a major benefit to be able to keep indoors going from home to shelter - and much easier getting the pets into it. We bought ours from Tornado Masters and got a discount because we filled out an information request at the Ft. Worth Stock Show. We ended up paying $11K for the shelter (4'wx6'dx6.5'h).

This is what we got and who we got it from -> http://tornadomaster.com/Products/AboveGroundSteelShelters.aspx

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We don't have to risk debris to go outside to a shelter and we don't have to worry about flooding. It's a major benefit to be able to keep indoors going from home to shelter - and much easier getting the pets into it.

Flooding can be an issue if the grade isn't right, so that can be a big consideration if your space is limited and the drainage isn't favorable. Then again, I remember going through Jarrell after the F5 hit and seeing nothing but clean slabs of concrete where a subdivision used to be.

And of course the idea is if you have an outdoor shelter to go outside before the debris starts flying. But if anyone does get a storm shelter, remember debris is going to be a big concern if you take a direct or near hit. Make sure people you know who don't live anywhere near you know you have a storm shelter and know how to get to your house even if the street signs are torn down. You may need someone to dig you out of your shelter in case someone's Buick lands on or against the door and locks you in.

Top Bottom