Hurley's Gold

STEAK THREAD! How do you eat your steaks?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I'm surprised only one person brought up sous vide. I had it once and it was very tasty. A lot of work but tasty. Medium rare of course.
    Target Sports

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I'm surprised only one person brought up sous vide. I had it once and it was very tasty. A lot of work but tasty. Medium rare of course.

The setup takes a minute, but honestly it's pretty easy.

Much easier to cook IMHO after setup is done, as you don't have to babysit it at all. Just sear it on the grille for a minute or so on each side...or use a torch LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    A guy at work cooked steaks for us sous vide. He had the special water heater/agitator and a searing burner for a propane bottle. Maybe he made it look harder than it was.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Y'all are fancy.

If you need anything more than a piece of meat and a fire you are a foodie in my book.

Medium well or well for me BTW.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Man didn't master the art of cooking with fire just to ignore it when a steak is present.
    Man that cooks well done steak has NOT mastered the art of cooking....with fire, oven, skillet, etc. Just not a master. And not even close to apprentice material.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Y'all can have that pink, mushy, cold crap. I have tried them many times and just do not like it.

A properly cooked well or medium well done steak is perfection.

Enjoy it how ever you like it.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    i take my ribeyes, cut a minimum of 1" thick, and salt an pepper them, then they go in the smoker set at 185*. They smoke until the center reaches a temperature of 125*, then they come off and rest, uncovered, for at least 15 minutes. Then, I heat the cast iron, ribbed skillet to about 475* and throw the steaks in for two minutes on each side. this way, I get medium rare all the way through, and a nice crisp caramelized crust on the outside. YUM

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    i take my ribeyes, cut a minimum of 1" thick, and salt an pepper them, then they go in the smoker set at 185*. They smoke until the center reaches a temperature of 125*, then they come off and rest, uncovered, for at least 15 minutes. Then, I heat the cast iron, ribbed skillet to about 475* and throw the steaks in for two minutes on each side. this way, I get medium rare all the way through, and a nice crisp caramelized crust on the outside. YUM
    Hmmmm.....notes for the future....gotta try this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The problem for me with sous vide is that it doesn't get a char or crust on the steak and the fat doesn't render tastily. It tastes like boiled steak to me.

Then it wasn't done correctly, that's for sure.

Adding the char is an integral step, done incorrectly you're exactly right, it's just a boiled steak.

The sous vide temps aren't suppose to cook the steak. They're supposed to hold the temp below cooking temp, to break down the connective tissue over time, and provide consistency thru-out the cut.

The final cooking step, including adding char, comes on a grille or skillet.

Many folks would be surprised how many steakhouses cook with sous vide these days, methinks.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Good cut of meat should only need a bit of salt and pepper...maybe a few other minimal spices but that's it.

Anything else masks the flavor IMHO...I guess that's a good thing if it's a bad piece of meat LOL

Top Bottom