• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGL1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Dont kill deer in my yard unless it is some badass buck. Anyway I have a plan of attack and just getting my ducks in a row. We all know suppressors are not quiet like they are in the movies. Just easier on the ears. It would be a nice option. If I wanted quiet I would use one of those crossbows, the ultimate silencer.
    This is good to see. But doesn't that piss you off? "You bastards are just taunting me now ain't 'cha? Go on now, git! Before I get my paintball gun."

robbf213

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Jefferson, TX
    Exactly..I am lucky the game wardens are on my side on this issue. The hard part is going to be educating other legislatures and the general public.

Exactly how many Game Wardens have you asked? You are fooling yourself if you think that even 5% of the over 500 Wardens in the state would be for this. Just stating a fact.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Exactly how many Game Wardens have you asked? You are fooling yourself if you think that even 5% of the over 500 Wardens in the state would be for this. Just stating a fact.

A good number of game wardens own suppressors already. They use them for hog suppression in developed areas. What the TXPWD has already done is research how other states who already allow suppressors for game animals are doing. They report no issues at all with illegal activity. TXPWD survey of Game Wardens report that the use of legal suppressors for hunting is not an issue with game animals. The hunters who legally own a suppressor DO NOT use them to hunt deer. The biggest poaching arrest as reported to the law division of the TXPWD is done using cross bows mostly. Apparently the TXPWD commission has been actively researching this issue for about 6 months "in house".

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    A good number of game wardens own suppressors already. They use them for hog suppression in developed areas. What the TXPWD has already done is research how other states who already allow suppressors for game animals are doing. They report no issues at all with illegal activity. TXPWD survey of Game Wardens report that the use of legal suppressors for hunting is not an issue with game animals. The hunters who legally own a suppressor DO NOT use them to hunt deer. The biggest poaching arrest as reported to the law division of the TXPWD is done using cross bows mostly. Apparently the TXPWD commission has been actively researching this issue for about 6 months "in house".

Is this information available for review anywhere?

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    This is what I get with conversations with TXPWD on the phone. I wonder if there is some sort of printed conclusion of all their research?

robbf213

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Jefferson, TX

You never answered the question, how many have you asked?

There is no X, it's TPWD.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    You never answered the question, how many have you asked?

There is no X, it's TPWD.

Sorry, Talked to both the Director of the Law Enforcement division of TPWD and the Director of the Hunting division. Personally I also called 23 game wardens before I initiated the calls to the directors. Felt stupid when the directors said that the commission was already considering the use of suppressors and it looks like it will pass with no problems. Talk about a waste of my time with all those calls to game wardens. It was nice to hear their input though. What I still do not know is what states already allow suppressors for game animal hunting. Apparently TPWD commission has spoken to these states and gotten their input. I tried to Google these states and still come up empty.

stxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Harlingen
    I really hope this passes, I don't see any reason why the state would limit our hunting with a suppressor just for game animals. I hate carrying my suppressed 300blk with me to the blind in addition to my Rem 700 7mag. The 300blk with subs and a suppressor literally sounds as loud as my pellet gun, helping to reduce the possibilities of spooking game. Using the same can with supers sounds about like an unsuppressed 22lr.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    Copied this from another site. Good info.

TPWD: Wednesday, 9:00 am, March 30, 2011 Commission Meeting Agenda – COMMITTEENAME

I. Executive Summary: This item seeks permission to publish proposed amendments to the Statewide Hunting Proclamation in the Texas Register for public comment. The proposed amendments:

Alter the season structure currently in effect for Grayson County (archery-only special season with crossbow by upper-limb disability only; regular season restricted to archery only with crossbows lawful) to allow full-season either-sex hunting opportunity, and implement that structure in Dallas, Collin, and Rockwall counties (which currently have no open season);
    Implement a full general season in Galveston County (currently there is no open season) with the same season structure as Harris County;
    Elimination of the pheasant season in four coastal counties in response to absence of population;
    Alterations to existing season structure for quail;
    Removal of remnant references to tarpon and red drum;
    Removal of obsolete regulations regarding the hunting of prairie chickens on managed lands; and
    Legalization of firearm silencers to take game animals and game birds.
    II. Discussion: Responsibility for establishing seasons, bag limits, and means and methods for taking wildlife resources is delegated to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission under Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 61. The potential changes are based upon statutory requirements and Commission policy, including scientific investigation and required findings of fact where applicable. The potential changes are intended to increase recreational opportunity, decrease regulatory complexity where possible, promote enforcement, and provide for the sound biological management of the wildlife resources of the state.

The proposed amendment to §65.11, concerning Lawful Means, would allow the use of firearm silencers to hunt alligators, game animals and game birds. Under current rule, the use of sound-suppressing devices to hunt alligators, game animals or game birds is unlawful. The department has determined that there is no resource- or enforcement-related reason to prohibit the use of firearm silencers for the take of alligators, game animals or game birds, and therefore proposes to eliminate the current prohibition. The department notes that if the proposed is adopted, it will not relieve any person of the obligation to otherwise comply with any applicable state, federal, or local law governing the possession or use of firearm silencers.

§65.11. Lawful Means. It is unlawful to hunt any of the wildlife resources of this state except by the means authorized by this section and as provided in §65.19 of this title (relating to Hunting Deer with Dogs).

(1) Firearms.

(A) It is lawful to hunt alligators, game animals, and game birds with any legal firearm, including muzzleloading firearms, and including a firearm equipped with a silencer[weapons], except as specifically restricted in this section.

(B) Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to relieve any person of compliance with any other federal, state, or local laws governing the possession or use of firearm silencers.

(C)](B)] Special muzzleloader –only deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

(D)[(C)]It is unlawful to use rimfire ammunition to hunt alligator, deer, antelope, or desert bighorn sheep.

(E)[(D)]It is unlawful to hunt alligators, game animals, or game birds with a fully automatic firearm [or any firearm equipped with a silencer or sound-suppressing device].

(F)[(E)] In Angelina, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Galveston, Hardin, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Refugio, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler and Victoria counties, alligators may not be hunted by means of firearms. In all other counties, alligators may by hunted by means of firearms on private property, including private waters, but may not be hunted by means of firearms from, on, in, across, or over public water.

(G)[(F)] Alligators lawfully caught on a taking device may be dispatched by means of firearms in all counties.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    [FONT=&amp]Copied from an email from NRA ILA

Texas Parks andWildlife Commission to Consider Rule Change to Allow Hunting with Suppressors

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]At its next meeting on Wednesday, January 25, the Regulations Committee ofthe Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission willpresent proposed amendments to the 2012-2013 Statewide HuntingProclamation. It will seek permission for them to be published in theTexas Register for public comment. Theseamendments include a regulatory change that would expand the use oflawfully-possessed suppressors on firearms while hunting non-nuisancespecies. This common sense reform will help prevent hearing loss andmitigate noise complaints against sportsmen in the Lone Star State.Importantly, reducing noise complaints will help to keep hunting opportunitiesopen well into the future.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Testimonywill not be heard at this committee meeting on January25, or at the full Commission meeting the following day. Wewill report back to you with instructions on how to weigh-in on thisproposal after it has been formally submitted for public comment.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Toview a copy of this proposed rule change, please click [/FONT][FONT=&amp]here[/FONT][FONT=&amp] and scroll down toCommittee Agenda Item No. 2, Exhibit A. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Formore information on suppressors and their advantages, please click here.[/FONT]

Top Bottom