• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I know a lot of you guys out there, like me, have worked on your vehicles and/or still do. I have had starters go out and most of the time it’s the starter solenoid. That is the problem. But I seem to have a problem currently with my truck that the starter is drawing an extreme amount of power to turn the vehicle over. Have any of you had a starter fail in this mode before?

It seems like the starter is not turning the truck offer as quickly as it should, and the batteries don’t last that long trying to do this. Granted, this is a diesel.

Any other ideas if you don’t think it’s the starter?

Battery cables are good and clean and no corrosion on terminals.
    Military Camp

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Remove the starter and have it tested at a parts store. It's getting old or the solenoid is weak. If it's below 15 or so years old a bad ground is unlikely unless it's had issues or the connection has come lose. IMO
    All my cars have two grounds never hurts and they are just a couple bucks if you don't something already on hand.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I tend to start with the simple; have the battery/batteries checked. Heat cripples, cold kills. With as hot as it’s been this summer, it’s not out of the realm of possibility one or both batteries ain’t giving enough juice when squeezed.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - do a load test on the batteries, while keeping in mind that one failed battery can do in the entire system. From there, ALL grounds - even those that "look good". Take 'em apart and clean them. Just had an issue on my '47 - turned out that while everything LOOKED good, the wiring inside one of the terminals was corroded. Removed, crimped on new terminal, then potted it with solder.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I know a lot of you guys out there, like me, have worked on your vehicles and/or still do. I have had starters go out and most of the time it’s the starter solenoid. That is the problem. But I seem to have a problem currently with my truck that the starter is drawing an extreme amount of power to turn the vehicle over. Have any of you had a starter fail in this mode before?

It seems like the starter is not turning the truck offer as quickly as it should, and the batteries don’t last that long trying to do this. Granted, this is a diesel.

I’ll give you the same advice I give new guys at work dealing with atm issues: use your 9mm.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

My Cummins was not turning over quickly enough. I put in a total of four new batteries. I checked all the grounds and the terminals. Replaces the terminal end on positive on the charging battery just because……It was the starter all along.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Auto parts stores will test all the major parts for free but you might have to remove them first, batteries, starter, and alternator.

If it's batteries replace them both together. Modern batteries don't get weak like they used to. Now they work or they don't generally but still worth testing.

Check all the electrical connections when you're removing the parts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I tend to start with the simple; have the battery/batteries checked. Heat cripples, cold kills. With as hot as it’s been this summer, it’s not out of the realm of possibility one or both batteries ain’t giving enough juice when squeezed.
    Don't think that would explain the starter pulling high amps. {Assuming the OP's statement about extreme amount of power implies he checked the current draw.}

If he has not checked the current draw, then of course start withe battery. Check and clean battery terminals first. Proceed from there.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't think that would explain the starter pulling high amps. {Assuming the OP's statement about extreme amount of power implies he checked the current draw.}

If he has not checked the current draw, then of course start withe battery. Check and clean battery terminals first. Proceed from there.

Don't forget - high current draw can also be caused by dirty connections.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I figured I would do a follow up on this thread. It definitely was the starter.

Cleaned and checked all the battery terminals – no change

Still using the old batteries (they’re only one year old).

Install a new starter, boy what a difference! It’s cranking the engine like it used to and starting right up.

With the old starter slowly degrading over the years I’m guessing you just get used to it. Turning slower and slower.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Weak batteries cause high amp loads. Measure voltage at the starter, less than 11V when cranking will burn the starter and solenoid up. Buy the highest CCA that will fit.

Top Bottom