• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Decided to give one of these 80% lowers a shot and build an AR pistol in 300blk. Honestly, I guess I was somewhat lured by how simple all the different vendors make it seem. It's not that the work is difficult, but it is a great exercise in building patience. Having never really "milled" anything since high school shop class, over 30 years ago, I was a bit anxious to say the least. I used a 10" tabletop drill press and a cross slide vise, which I may have to tear apart and clean up as it was rough too say the least in its motion. Even with my inexperience, I am quite pleased with the results, interior walls of the fire control area are nearly as smooth as the interior of the magwell which comes already milled. The trigger hole was a bit rough, but a little work with the dremel cleaned that up. will I do another lower, definitely. Did I learn from this, without a doubt. Now the wife and daughter want to know when I am going to finish the rest of the build so they can go shoot it, this was supposed to get me something to shoot cause they hog the other ar I assembled... Looks like I will have to build at least one more, maybe .308 this time???

80-lower.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    good job !, is that a poly lower or aluminum? (i cant tell from the pic)

It is a polymer lower. Probably should have mentioned that in the OP. Obviously haven't had it out to the range yet, but as far as rigidity and flex goes, I can't really detect a difference between this and my aluminum lower from Anderson.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Very nice! I'm collecting parts for my 300BLK pistol build and still trying to learn the ins and outs of barrel length. Which brings up a question that I cannot find any good answer for: What are the advantages of shorter or longer barrels in 300 BLK? For the pistol it appears that the 8.5" and the 10.5" seem to be the most popular. It's a just for fun gun build, not for hunting, carrying, high end accuracy, etc. I'm leaning toward the 8.5" barrel just for the lighter weight and convenience. At some point I would like to put a suppressor on it. Any opinions?

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    I am not an expert by any stretch, from my research it is my understanding that 7.5 to 8.5 inch barrel is optimal. It should be fairly accurate out to 100-150yds.

I am going with a 7.5 inch barrel. Unfortunately the build is on hold until I get back to work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I am not an expert by any stretch, from my research it is my understanding that 7.5 to 8.5 inch barrel is optimal. It should be fairly accurate out to 100-150yds.

I am going with a 7.5 inch barrel. Unfortunately the build is on hold until I get back to work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks! I found this today. Seems reasonably inexpensive.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/b300phb10518ss/p/b300phb10.518ss/

And this.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/ballistic-advantage-ar-15-300-blk-85-pistol-barrel-58x24/p/babl300003m/

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Assuming I can quit buying guns long enough to build mine, I was going to probably go with a 10 or 10.5 inch. Mine would be just for grins too.

from an idgit coffeeholic

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I built a 8.25" SBR and I love it. Lower and side charging upper from Runner Runner. The barrel is from Ballistic Advantage. I would have gotten one from GZP but he didn't have the length I wanted. That said this BA barrel is really nice.

29csx84.jpg

21o21wm.jpg

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I built a 8.25" SBR and I love it. Lower and side charging upper from Runner Runner. The barrel is from Ballistic Advantage. I would have gotten one from GZP but he didn't have the length I wanted. That said this BA barrel is really nice.

29csx84.jpg

21o21wm.jpg
    I like that upper. It's out of stock tho. I was looking for side charging uppers like bear creek arsenal. I like that I can pick the bcg for this one.

How do you like side charging?

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The first barrel I had was a cheapy from Hardened Arms. I didn't really have problems with it, I just wanted to upgrade. The BA barrel's chamber is tighter which pointed out a flaw in my reloads. I fixed that and it runs great now with my 190gn Noslers.

Top Bottom