• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is a Rave, and it's not revisited as in I posted anything on this subject before, it's just that today I really listened to this song. I can't remember what made me want to listen it initially today, but I decided to listen to the old Simon and Garfunkel version first, I then compared it to the Disturbed version.

Now I remember hearing the S&G release back in the 60's, and to be honest, while I had heard it many times through my preteen and early teen years, I never really put much meaning to the song. I just liked it.

When I had heard the Disturbed version when it came out, I liked it so much I immediately added it to my playlist. Of course I had been a fan of Disturbed ever since David Draiman joined the band in 1996, not much before then. While I wouldn't have said David was the best singer, he really shows his mastery of singing in the Sounds of Silence.

While Sounds of Silence by Disturbed certainly is a S&G cover song, you could also say it is updated to the times. This version, when really listening to it, resonates with me. Sure, one can say it is about music being silenced, but it also can be a sign that communication in general is being silenced. Society today people talk without really speaking, and hears without really listening.

I have listened to this song countless times, but when I'm really focusing on it, I seem to still get moisture around my eyes. Very powerful:

Gun Zone Deals

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Draiman took that song to heart and did it great justice.

Speaking of, the local radio station has been overplaying a song he did with Nita Strauss, that while not a "bad" song, sounds too formulaic for me to really enjoy it. The drum track sounds ... robotic.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Draiman took that song to heart and did it great justice.

Speaking of, the local radio station has been overplaying a song he did with Nita Strauss, that while not a "bad" song, sounds too formulaic for me to really enjoy it. The drum track sounds ... robotic.

First time I heard that song. I usually listen to my playlist. I may have to add that one. Thank you!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I suggest the live version from Conan. Draiman was sick or recovering and maybe that's the difference. For whatever reason it's warmer and more intense. I strongly prefer it.
    Yes, I've listened to that one too. The lighting effects in that smaller setting was great!

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I like the live version from Conan the best, but their album cut is pretty good too. They did the song justice for sure.

I've got a playlist setup on YouTube of cover songs and the originals. Some songs are best as the originals, but some covers knock songs out of the park. Funny enough one of George Straight's greatest hits turned out to be a cover of an early Keith Whitley song (Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind) - King George's version is better.

Darius Rucker's version of Wagon Wheel has better production value and is poppier and catchier than Old Crow Medicine Show's version as well and saw wider commercial succes. I like OCMS's version more though.

If you want an internet breaking cover - Sugarland's cover of Life in a Northern Town is to me a waaaaaaaaay better version than Dream Academy's original song, but there's been nasty arguments over that.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I like the live version from Conan the best, but their album cut is pretty good too. They did the song justice for sure.

I've got a playlist setup on YouTube of cover songs and the originals. Some songs are best as the originals, but some covers knock songs out of the park. Funny enough one of George Straight's greatest hits turned out to be a cover of an early Keith Whitley song (Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind) - King George's version is better.

Darius Rucker's version of Wagon Wheel has better production value and is poppier and catchier than Old Crow Medicine Show's version as well and saw wider commercial succes. I like OCMS's version more though.

If you want an internet breaking cover - Sugarland's cover of Life in a Northern Town is to me a waaaaaaaaay better version than Dream Academy's original song, but there's been nasty arguments over that.

I'm not out to convince anyone that a Sounds of Silence cover is better than the original. If I want to think of simpler days, than the original brings back those memories. To me, the Disturbed version pays tribute to Paul Simon's lyrics as prophetic, and David Draiman sings it in that form.

Top Bottom