• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I saw this happen this morning. I can imagine the conversation earlier went like this:

The woman says, "Ain't you gonna tie it down?"
    The man says, "Heck no. This thing ain't going nowhere. Besides, we're just going down the street."
    Driving down the street a few minutes later.......it rolls off the trailer.

aaa1.jpg

aaa2.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I'd take a few older ones for the right price... soooooo easy to work on, and easily upgraded engine and suspensions. Not like today's screamers, but still a double carb 1835cc or a 2200cc is a nice push.
    Built many 60s VWs only one I never did was Karmman ghia. Poor man's 914

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I had a '62 Beetle and a '68 Type 3 fastback. My buddy had a '67 Beetle and '70 Karmann Ghia. We each had a spare engine ready to go.

We were going to the Winston Cup race at North Wilkesboro, NC and we went to town Saturday evening to buy our beer. No beer sales on Sunday then. We were coming home in his '67 and broke a valve.

I caught a ride to his house and got his '59 El Camino and a chain and went back and pulled him home. We swapped engines and drove it to North Wilkesboro the next morning. Good times.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I had a '62 Beetle and a '68 Type 3 fastback. My buddy had a '67 Beetle and '70 Karmann Ghia. We each had a spare engine ready to go.

We were going to the Winston Cup race at North Wilkesboro, NC and we went to town Saturday evening to buy our beer. No beer sales on Sunday then. We were coming home in his '67 and broke a valve.

I caught a ride to his house and got his '59 El Camino and a chain and went back and pulled him home. We swapped engines and drove it to North Wilkesboro the next morning. Good times.
    Engine swaps are a 30 minute deal.
    I used to buy the automatics for $1-$300 and convert them to 4 speed and resell for whatever the market was. Put on some cheap chrome wheels and hubcaps, lower the front end and make pretty good money.
    It's crazy what they are worth today and the built 2 litre motors are screamers.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Growing up I hung out at this one friends garage behind his house. Ozzy had a Karmman Ghia that was in fairly decent shape until Ozzy got it. He redid the motor, then started about body work on the rear passenger side. Ozzy like to drink as did everyone that hung out there. What should have been pull a dent & a little Bondo turned into a quarter panel & a a ton of Bondo. I doubt he ever finished it. Some time after moving to Texas I hear he dropped dead at a very early age. He was always an anemic looking dude. His life was his moms basement & the garage. He did make the epic road trip to the state fair with Gonzo & me. That was an incredible trip that had him freaked out until he was safe back in the basement.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had a 71 super beetle, rebuilt the motor in my dad's garage. Headers, two barrel carburetor, centrifugal distributor, oil cooler. It had a small wing, Hurst shifter and a smaller steering wheel.
    Then I signed up for Beetleboards, company paid for a paint job, attached decals advertising Artic Lights cigarettes. They paid me $30 a month. IMG_20230914_181701922.jpg

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

My best high schrool buddy had a Karrman Ghia with an 1835cc, cambered rear, transporter clutch/shaft/rear end, and Pirelli tires. He drove it like a 911. Pretty much fun, but he often scared the crap outta me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom