Texas SOT

Some black clergy asking flock to stay home and not vote.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Perhaps deleting the offensive posts and letting the civic discussion continue would be an appropriate course of action?

Agreed, we need more OPEN discussion in a respectful manor. I learn so much from people's different opinions just by talking with them. Opinions differ but how are to understand if we don't know their side. Keep it clean, keep it to the "I believe this, here's why..."

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    DK Firearms

Eep02b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Garland
    I usually stay out of the topics about politics, but I do take offense to this topic. Why make this topic about race?? I'm sure it's not just black clergy saying this, and honestly it makes me sick to see topics like this and they not be racially diverse. Instead of black clergy, how bout clergy in general, cause I know for a fact there are white congregations that are saying just the same thing. Not trying to make it a racial discussion, just don't want us talking in generalizations. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

-ep

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I usually stay out of the topics about politics, but I do take offense to this topic. Why make this topic about race?? I'm sure it's not just black clergy saying this, and honestly it makes me sick to see topics like this and they not be racially diverse. Instead of black clergy, how bout clergy in general, cause I know for a fact there are white congregations that are saying just the same thing. Not trying to make it a racial discussion, just don't want us talking in generalizations. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

-ep

Really now? OP posted a link to a news article titled the same. Seems many are discussing the topic without the race card being thrown into the mix. How about you post a link to the news story where the white churches are advising the same thing and join the conversation instead of riding the sidelines throwing the race card around.

In 2008 blacks overwhelmingly threw their support behind Obama. That is a well known fact. That it is now being reported that some of that support base within the black community has been eroded by issues dealing with faith in what is shaping up to be a close race makes it a very valid topic for discussion.

Believe it or not we come from different races and among those races are differences in thought. Not everything is about racism unless of course those are the goggles through which you choose to view the world.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Please revise my previous post to read:

It's a damned shame when people who are in positions of authority and trust, lead others to turn away from their civic responsibilities. What possible motive could those "leaders" have? It reminds me a lot of the scumbags you meet in Gin Mills and similar distasteful gatherings. They are what they are and what they are is pretty low down. I choose not to be anywhere near that kind of person or visit any place where they gather.

Flash

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    One reason they have requested it is that most all blacks that vote will vote Obama. But due to the DNC stance on abortion, and also on the recent booing of God in the convention, they have requested it. Most pastors avoid making purely political statements due to non-profit requirements. But they will suggest their congregation vote for a candidate who supports what the church supports. While many mainstream denominations think Mormon is a cult, they will support Romney due to his stance on abortion and freedom of religion, as opposed to a candidate who supports issues their church is against.

I hope that was middle of the road enough, but is pretty factual in nature.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I must admit, the article was very specific that it was Black Clergy members who were advising their people NOT to vote. That is just wrong and staying away from the poles is exactly why people like me who were totally disgusted with politics, let our government run us into the ditch. That crap won't happen again! I am registered and I vote!

Flash

Top Bottom