• ...and so much more!
  • Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    2 options:

Set up a panel array and battery bank and drop a 24v pump down the shaft. The cons are the power loss through the 200' of wire and the cost of pulling the pump and related maintenance if it fails.

Get a Simple Pump and solar motor. The motor drives the shaft from the top so there's no loss due to the wiring, the motor is simple to service, and there is an option to attach a handle and pump by hand.

200' is the limit for the Simple Pump, but it's doable and works great.

Also, you can get a well cap with holes for the electric AND hand pump pipes from Simple Pump. Run off the grid until a problem hits, and then shift easily to solar. Works great for me. Expensive up-front, but well worth the peace of mind.

http://www.simplepump.com/

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Without a battery storage I'd skip the solar if it were me, but I'm no master at this. I do have a well though. My opinion would be a windmill with a hand pump back up would be a better option.

Too low a voltage from the solar panels or batteries and I'd worry it would burn out the pump and then make it even harder to get water out.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    For this well, I want the well to pump into a collection tank, then overfill into a livestock/fish tank. This isn't primary, but will tie into other primary well as back up. Wells already there, just no pump in it.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    YVW. We installed ours in the same well shaft as the main electric pump. They were very easy to deal with. The pump is everything we wanted and more.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I was considering a submersible solar pump from Advanced Power with a "back-up" hand pump from Flojak. This has it all in one unit, and having installed and then replaced my own Sears submersible pump thirty some years ago, I know I didn't want to do that again if I could avoid it.
    The pipe and rod going down in the hole, is it corrosion resistant and have a long lifespan? How is it for freeze protection?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The rod is carbon fiber; the well pipe is PVC with a ball valve at the foot. The very top section of well pipe has a weep hole 16' down. When the pump is not being used, the water drains to that level to prevent freezing.

They have good YouTube overviews.

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Depending on your bore size, yes. You replace the well cap and this can go in the bore next to your existing drop pipe.

Top Bottom