• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Should be software out there to figure the optimum angle for you. Possibly free on some website.
    An acquaintance of mine built a solar collector. Not to generate power, but to heat water. He also built a driven mount that keeps the collector in the optimum position.
    As explained it tome, he designed a controller that uses thermocouples to keep the suns heat focused on the collector.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Here's my setup, Charging up on the deck railing. :)
    View attachment 457847

IMG_0590.jpeg

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    An acquaintance of mine built a solar collector. Not to generate power, but to heat water. He also built a driven mount that keeps the collector in the optimum position.
    As explained it tome, he designed a controller that uses thermocouples to keep the suns heat focused on the collector.
    Simple elegant solution. Nice!

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have shifted from canned to dry goods. The oldest I have used recently "expired" in 2010.
    Thread drift correction....Solar is prolly the one individual energy source that is currently easily diy.

Joe
    That's why we're in the process of doing. Bought a freeze dryer 6 months ago and changing over from canned to freeze dried.

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    That's why we're in the process of doing. Bought a freeze dryer 6 months ago and changing over from canned to freeze dried.
    One good thing about canned is you can open it and eat it.
    Beans,rice,pasta,etc store longer, but you'll also need water, heat and time.
    Dehydrated - depends. Some foods are good crunchy, lol
    Freeze dried? What would that take? Same as dehydrated?

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    One good thing about canned is you can open it and eat it.
    Beans,rice,pasta,etc store longer, but you'll also need water, heat and time.
    Dehydrated - depends. Some foods are good crunchy, lol
    Freeze dried? What would that take? Same as dehydrated?
    Not the same as dehydrated. Some things you can dehydrate and they are fine, but stuff like milk, onions, leftover pasta with sauce, stuff like that. It's a completely different process and the machine is huge compared to a dehydrator. It's about the size of a small fridge. It works on a freeze / sublimate process in a vacuum.

Some things are still best canned though.

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Not the same as dehydrated. Some things you can dehydrate and they are fine, but stuff like milk, onions, leftover pasta with sauce, stuff like that. It's a completely different process and the machine is huge compared to a dehydrator. It's about the size of a small fridge. It works on a freeze / sublimate process in a vacuum.

Some things are still best canned though.
    Oops, I was asking about what you'd need to have, or do, to eat the freeze dried foods. For example, a bag of rice is only usable if you also have water, heat and the time to cook it.

Thanks for the reply though. Those units are cool, and very expensive.

Last edited:

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Oops, I was asking about what you'd need to have, or do, to eat the freeze dried foods. For example, a bag of rice is only usable if you also have water, heat and the time to cook it.
    Hmmm, I have made ramen with room temp water, letting it sit. Is rice prepareable without heat?

Joe

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Hmmm, I have made ramen with room temp water, letting it sit. Is rice prepareable without heat?

Joe
    First thought is no... but maybe with enough time it'd absorb enough water to be chewable. Let us know if you try it. :D

Good to know re ramen, lol. Bet that'd work with any flour noodles. The taste would be nasty pasty, but in a pinch it'd be calories.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

Thanks for the reply though. Those units are cool, and very expensive.
    Basically, just water to rehydrate the food. then cook and eat.
    We have plenty of ways to heat food:

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    First thought is no... but maybe with enough time it'd absorb enough water to be chewable. Let us know if you try it. :D

Good to know re ramen, lol. Bet that'd work with any flour noodles. The taste would be nasty pasty, but in a pinch it'd be calories.
    Cup-o-noodles! It was good, just not hot.
    Ima give the rice a try. You can't be the only one tries preppy experiments.
    Though....it ain't marauding.

Joe

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Cup-o-noodles! It was good, just not hot.
    Ima give the rice a try. You can't be the only one tries preppy experiments.
    Though....it ain't marauding.

Joe
    LOL Even marauders gotta eat.
    Let us know how yours turns out.
    I tried it with instant rice, worked fine.
    Before bed, 1/2 cup rice + 1 cup cold water.
    6am, soft rice with a little water left over.
    Tastes just like cold cooked rice.
    Gonna strain it & toss in some raisins for breakfast :)
    1000000086.jpg

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Maybe just more time soaking? Or maybe it doesn't work with regular rice.
    I believe instant rice is just cooked rice that has been freeze dried, so the cooking part is already done and just adding water should work just fine.
    Regular rice, I had it sit overnight and it was still crunchy.

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Just a note, the rollup panels on top of the camper are rated for 1" hail. No idea on your hard panels. Fuel is not an issue for the generators, I run it off a pigtail from the propane tank.
    Good info, thanks. We're only running propane in the big gen, and have it setup with a Generlinc plugged into the grid's meter to feed the house; works like a dream. And, we're getting a 2nd gen (3rd actually, but I don't count the broke one) that'll be here Tuesday. It's a quiet little Westinghouse Inverter Gen that will have one job only: run the bedroom window A/C. Could have used a smaller one there but wanted dual fuel.

I'm still designing the 12v solar setup to run fans; and a two-wheel cart setup to move around the Oupes & panels. The older I get the heavier they are. :D

Top Bottom