• ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    By all means. Clean the barrel!!!!
    Scrub it 20 passes with a bronze bore brush and a good solvent and then three passes with a jag and three patches.
    Repeat 3 times.
    After shooting clean as above and make a final pass down the bore with an oily patch.

Congrats on your new gun but guns are like golf clubs. You need a few. You are off to a good start.

Ghostie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Austin
    I'm in the same boat as OP, I picked up my second gun (and first rifle) today, Ruger 10/22 from Cabelas. I guess I need to clean it first as well

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    By all means. Clean the barrel!!!!
    Scrub it 20 passes with a bronze bore brush and a good solvent and then three passes with a jag and three patches.
    Repeat 3 times.
    After shooting clean as above and make a final pass down the bore with an oily patch.

Congrats on your new gun but guns are like golf clubs. You need a few. You are off to a good start.
    Damn, you ARE hard core about cleaning a new gun. Barring it coming from a commie country and being covered in cosmoline I would just crank some rounds through it. Unless you are going to use it in the Olympics it aint gonna make much difference.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I run a solvent patch or two through a new gun, then dry it.

Make sure there isn't anything in the barrel, including oil or grease to keep rust off it. Barrels should be shot when they're dry, not with oil or grease in it. IMO Mikewood's method is rather extreme, though... There won't be any hard core fouling from the factory, just some storage coating and maybe some dust. Get that crap out, and you're good. And it's not going to put up much of a fight...

If Marlin hasn't gone downhill in the decades since they built mine, that thing has the potential to be a very accurate rifle.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Put some Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories on it and a sling and it'll be ready for an appleseed.com training.

marlinweb.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Nothing wrong with running a rod down the barrel and giving it a quick cleaning, but some people go WAY overboard with the "cleaning" recommendations. It's more of an obsession than a requirement though.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    I'm still debating about that deal at Academy. You can't beat the price, but going with another 10-22 would make logistics easier.

Top Bottom