• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evictor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    US
    I've always smoked my brisket and butts in the foil pan. I don't think I'm missing out on not having the bottom bark but what I gain is additional moistness in the meat and it's much easier clean up along with a bonus of flavor due to the rub on the bottom.

Question is who else goes the foil pan route?

Pic is one of two 15 lb briskets from last week after a 14hr smoke.
    33ba260194d0200c35f14330749277f6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Attachments

• 33ba260194d0200c35f14330749277f6.jpg
      33ba260194d0200c35f14330749277f6.jpg
      234.6 KB · Views: 1,177

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've always smoked my brisket and butts in the foil pan. I don't think I'm missing out on not having the bottom bark but what I gain is additional moistness in the meat and it's much easier clean up along with a bonus of flavor due to the rub on the bottom.

Pic is one of two 15 lb briskets from last week after a 14hr smoke. View attachment 223184

Welcome to the Forum!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I smoke mine for about two to three hours uncovered, alternating sides to get a good smoke ring. Pull it off wrap in it foil, then cook another 8 to 12 hours fat side up.

Never used a foil pan for brisket. I do use then when doing any poultry on the smoker.

And welcome to TGT from here in East Texas,

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

Pic is one of two 15 lb briskets from last week after a 14hr smoke. View attachment 223184

I’m a foil pan guy!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I’ve done dozens of briskets. No right or wrong but.........

Currently on my rig I go with no pan, fat cap down, hickory or mesquite, low & slow, no injection, salt & pepper only (very generous coat). I might wrap with pink butcher paper after the IT reaches 160 but not always. It’s ALL about the bark for our briskets.

Pans are good if you want drippings (critical for certain sauces.)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Brisket cooking is all about variety. I don't think two people do a brisket exactly the same way. I have been doing briskets for many years now, and honestly, I ruined a few learing how to smoke one properly!

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I use a foil pan for the "wrapping" step. First, I smoke the brisket for 3-4 hours until it has a nice bark then place it in a pan and cover the top of the pan with foil.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've used foil for ribs. Never for brisket, but based on your pic, I think I'll give it a try just to see.

I eat leftovers for several days if I cook something big, and they leftovers using the pan look like they might be pretty good.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I’ve done dozens of briskets. No right or wrong but.........

Currently on my rig I go with no pan, fat cap down, hickory or mesquite, low & slow, no injection, salt & pepper only (very generous coat). I might wrap with pink butcher paper after the IT reaches 160 but not always. It’s ALL about the bark for our briskets.

Pans are good if you want drippings (critical for certain sauces.)

This. I love a heavy bark on brisket. No foil of any kind here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Evictor,

FIRST, WELCOME ABOARD.

I don't smoke briskets, as anytime that I want brisket, my neighbor invites me over for that TX treat.

Over in Northeast Texas, where I come from, it's mostly PORK & POULTRY, rather than beef, that we BBQ.
    I often put a BIG fresh, i.e., RAW (as opposed to "store prepared" or "pre-cooked") ham into a foil pan with a typical Mississippi-style RUB slathered onto the meat & on the bottom, too.
    As you said, using a foil pan adds flavor, as the rub stays with the meat instead of ending up in the bottom of the pit, makes it easy to wrap the ham to keep it warm/moist until mealtime & makes cleaning up afterward easier.
    "Up our way" in the OK-ARK-LA-TEX "corner", we BBQ with green hickory, pecan or (when I can get it) green peach-wood.

yours, satx

Top Bottom