• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I am new to smoking food, so I thought I would start a thread to be able to ask so very basic ( and maybe dumb) questions.

I know quite a few you guys (and gals) on here have a lot of experience smoking food. I figured I can learn from you all‘s experience.

So, let’s start with the first one:

I see the thermometer on my smoker can go up to 400°F. Is there any reason to smoke food at a smoker temperature higher than about 250?

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I am new to smoking food, so I thought I would start a thread to be able to ask so very basic ( and maybe dumb) questions.

I know quite a few you guys (and gals) on here have a lot of experience smoking food. I figured I can learn from you all‘s experience.

So, let’s start with the first one:

I see the thermometer on my smoker can go up to 400°F. Is there any reason to smoke food at a smoker temperature higher than about 250?
    NO. just because a gauge has an upper limit doesn't mean you need to, or can hit it.

Quote from the Norton dealer to a customer that said the tack goes to 10K can it do it?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    What I've been doing with chickens (or chicken parts) the last couple years?

Get home from butcher shop..wash chickens (or parts)...pour some of the "el cheapo" Italian dressing in plastic one gallon HEFTY bag.

Give chicken/parts a "roll"...

Set in Figidaire overnight. then cook/smoke to suit.

In smoker? I use tin foil tents on chickens...core a couple/three apples. For whole chickens (after their overnight bath in the "el cheapo" Italian dressing, yes oil & red vinegar work just fine) I put a good tablespoon of APPLESAUCE in the carcass. Then after the last flip (about once an hour, hour & a half) I put several apple wedges on top of chickens.

Figure? About 5 hours on 250 or so for chickens...I can do a dozen at a time...quite easily.

For pulled pork? Use rub to suit (kosher/sea salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar/molasses...etc)...

Put on 200 degrees at noon today. Eat at four, tomorrow afternoon.

About 10 in the morning? Place a heap of apple wedges & some apple butter on top of pork butt. Lightly tent with tin foil.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    So he is using the smoker like an oven for the meatloaf. Never really thought about that type of use.
    Yes smokers make darn good ovens. Although constant high temperature is tough on the racks and fire box, And you can burn all the seasoning off the walls if you push it too hard. Seen one go off like a ram jet engine once, not pretty.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yes smokers make darn good ovens. Although constant high temperature is tough on the racks and fire box, And you can burn all the seasoning off the walls if you push it too hard. Seen one go off like a ram jet engine once, not pretty.
    Yep.
    Seen that before.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    @Scoutranch.

What smoker do you have?
    FC0996B3-2B9D-4729-B03B-BE9368F7B3C1.jpeg

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Type of smoker makes a big difference.

Found a guy at youtube that tested cheap meat on expensive smoker vs. expensive wagyu on cheap smoker.

Blind test showed expensive smoker ($4k) came out the winner.
    As for smokers, not meat, I would tend to lean on design over dollars. Most smokers I have used and owned cost acetylene, 6013 rod, and a shit pot of 36 grit grinding disks. Having seen one of mine take first at an "open" cookoff against 10K rigs w/chrome rims and custom paint, I feel the cost is not always a prime factor.

Top Bottom