M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Still funny though.
    Could you emagine that happening?

I've had a couple of experiences that weren't too different. Both on the same trip!

A few years ago I went hiking in New Mexico, the Gila National Wilderness. There are all sorts of critters out there, including mountain lions. The night before we walked out, a cat chased an elk past our campsite, about ten feet away from my sleeping bag. I couldn't see them, but I sure heard them go crashing through the woods! We figured out what it was by the tracks the next day. The chase went on for a couple of miles, and there was a big dramatic fight at one point, the elk tracks turning in circles, the cougar tracks all over, lunging and falling back. It was cool.

But then we're about three miles from our vehicle when we come across some other people camping. A hippie out there starving himself to do some spirit quest BS. He told us he hadn't eaten for three days... in the mountains. At the edge of his campsite, just outside the little clearing there was a nice, crisp track in the sand. Mountain lion. Track had to be three inches across. Big ol' cat. It was about 8 AM, and the sand was dry.

And the track hadn't got "fuzzy" on the edges yet. It was very fresh. And it had been within 30 feet of this half-starved whackadoo.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I used to have a MSgt who worked for me who was attacked by a bear after shooting a deer in Alaska. He readily admitted that he and his buddy screwed up by not posting a lookout while the other checked the deer. Luckily, both survived without any serious injury; but I was quite suprised with the casual way in which he told the story...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I used to have a MSgt who worked for me who was attacked by a bear after shooting a deer in Alaska. He readily admitted that he and his buddy screwed up by not posting a lookout while the other checked the deer. Luckily, both survived without any serious injury; but I was quite suprised with the casual way in which he told the story...

Stop it! Just stop, you're making me want to get stationed back up at Elmendorf AFB again... which would mean leaving Texas!!

alaska3.jpg

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Awesome.

One time while hiking early in the morning with friends, I stopped and sat big on a rock to wait for them to catch up. When they did, one said "Don't move!" "Look at your left hand". Foot long baby rattlesnake sunning itself on the rock maybe 6 inches from my hand. Fun times.

Top Bottom