• ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The decline in interest in silverware, lead crystal and bone china predates Bidenomics and the recent spike in inflation. It roughly coincided with the rise of business casual and informalizing of the work and public environments.
    I'd say the shift probably started during the Bush/Obama years. It accelerated with the 'tiny home' craze, which seems to have now been replaced with 'micro-homes'. The ones built around here are on lots so small that they would be townhomes if it wasn't for the narrow gap between outer walls.

Even before building our current home, we found more than few production and even semi/custom builders don't offer a dining room on their floor plans anymore.

The fact that the silverware isn't silver doesn't matter to her. My wife didn't want to keep it anyway and this just makes the choices on how to dispose of it simpler.
    DK Firearms

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The decline in interest in silverware, lead crystal and bone china predates Bidenomics and the recent spike in inflation. It roughly coincided with the rise of business casual and informalizing of the work and public environments. Who gives a crap about formal dinner ware when people are wearing shorts, sweats, and yoga pants at work, in their homes, at sit down restaurants, and on planes? There is also a decreasing interest in diamond rings for engagements and weddings. CZs look better and cost way less. Sell it now while there are still living baby boomers looking to complete their collection in retirement.
    Kinda like the formal living room and formal dining room. Popular in the ‘70s but a huge waste of space today.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Based on who I see buying them, tiny homes and radical downsizing to townhomes and condos seems to be driven by stress reduction (too much house, too much work), an anti-capitalist/consumerist/save the earth mindset, and (lately) affordability issues (as its all Gen Z can afford if they really want a house). I do see formal dining rooms in retirement downsized homes...to have a place for family visits...in which case the breakfast bar built into the kitchen island replaces the dining nook.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Kinda like the formal living room and formal dining room. Popular in the ‘70s but a huge waste of space today.

Truth.
    When my parents built their home built in 1972, mother insisted on a formal dining room.
    That was the one room in her house you better have a damn good reason for being in.
    That room only got used as a dining room maybe 3-4 times a year.
    In the parents later years the room turned into a storage area with some chairs in it.
    I thought it silly at the time. Still do.
    Few people want to bother with formal dinners anymore. I remember how my grandmothers would struggle to do all that work for family get togethers and the resulting clean-up after.
    These days folks just say let's go to a restaurant.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Few people want to bother with formal dinners anymore. I remember how my grandmothers would struggle to do all that work for family get togethers and the resulting clean-up after.
    You're older than me but thats how I remember it: no kids allowed in the formal dining room and living room unless accompanied by mom specifically. Fortunately in a house with 3 cats, anything broken in that room was never my fault.

And yeah, just stroll through whole foods near thanksgiving: there are multiple employees specifically to take your thanksgiving (and other holiday) dinner orders. You pick it up a day or 2 before and heat it up. You've just bought $800 in leftovers.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    As a young people myself its not that I have zero interest in it, I just cannot afford a super special dinnerware set of cutlery, plates, dishes, glasses, goblets, etc that I'd use once a year when the family comes over. Nor do I have it in my budget for a piece of furniture to store it for 360 days a year. Maybe thats my fault for not making 7 figures with a spouse, but there are so many other things in life that come before fancy china, silver, and crystal.

As someone who grew up with some rather nice super-special-don't-dare-touch-it (as a child) special dinnerware, I wouldn't mind some fancier stuff but it also blows my mind that people, including my own parents, spent well over $10,000 on that stuff and it was used 2 or 3 times a year. They had higher incomes than I do so the money proportionately wasn't insane, but also its not something younger folks can really afford. I don't want to 'cheap out' and get something I don't absolutely love, but if I had to spend $10-20k on something today it wouldn't be plates and silverware. Same with stuff like Waterford cut crystal drinkware. Its super pretty, feels great in the hand, and everyone appreciates but I'm also not in a hurry to blow $2000 on glasses for myself and girlfriends.

And that reminds me of another thing for you old people buying this really nice stuff! Some of your prized and cherished possessions are going straight to the landfill when you assume room temperature. That fine china you paid many thousands of dollars for may not even garner interest from collectors and head straight to the trash. Pull it out more than once a year for holidays: at least use it while you still can or give it to someone who will use it!
    But would you turn down a nice set of china and silver if it were heirlooms (passed down for generations) to be GIVEN to you? {That means no cost.} Most young people say "no thanks."

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    But would you turn down a nice set of china and silver if it were heirlooms (passed down for generations) to be GIVEN to you? {That means no cost.} Most young people say "no thanks."
    Tough to say for me personally: there isn't anything generationally passed down. Like my above post outlined, mom has a bunch of cut crystal, fine china, and expensive silverware in a storage box. I haven't looked at her living will mostly because I don't care to but also I'm not anxious to get some used plates. I probably wouldn't use it but once a year and it'd take up space in the house all while not being used. Its effectively not worth anything bcause who buys used waterford crystal, silverware, and fine china anymore? And thirdly, I'm not certain I want to pull out the expensive dishes only to be reminded of mom's passing; I'd rather remember her in other ways. I like the cut crystal, i like the silverware, I'm not the biggest fan of the design she picked out for the china. Funnily enough, 1 service set I think I found on amazon for $100, I know she's got service for 10 plus serving dishes. I don't have that, but I also don't have a formal dining room. I don't have a lot of interest in having a formal dining room, dining parties, or having a pile of people over for the holidays either. Maybe the GF becoming the wife will and I'll cross that bridge when it happens.

Long way of saying if mom said she'd like to give me the entire set or throw it out tomorrow, I might take it just for the crystal. The silverware is in a fairly small box on its own. I wouldn't be enthused about the china.

Better with a warm heart than a cold hand. If you and others are getting up there in years, remember that phrase.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    watch youtube..........i have seen several interesting videos on harvesting and refining gold and silver........both require chemical and heat processes

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We have two sets of fine china - hers and her grandma’s.
    For the last three family dinners - Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter - we ate off paper plates.

We also have an extensive set of sterling silver flatware (fancy Rose Point design). We haven’t used it for two years.

The wife likes having it, but is disappointed because she knows our granddaughter & two grandsons have no interest in it.

They all like my guns though.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    IF you were to melt sterling you have no proof that is sterling any longer. THAT is a problem for you. Anyone buying that now melted mess would really want an assay and that does not cheap.
    MFN is not sterling and really has no metal value to speak of

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    We have two sets of fine china - hers and her grandma’s.
    For the last three family dinners - Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter - we ate off paper plates.

We also have an extensive set of sterling silver flatware (fancy Rose Point design). We haven’t used it for two years.
    Elaborate on this to me please. Was it a decision there were too many young people in the house and they'd ruin the fine china, there were more people than china servings available, or 'oh hell I don't want to hand wash that much' decisions being made on the flatware and silverware?

fwiw I totally understand the "I don't want everyone to use it because its so nice" aspect of it, but also at the quandary of "why did you spend so much on something you never use, touch, or look at?"

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’m one of the odd younger folks, and always have been. I’d love a formal dining room and sitting room. I also despise open floor plan home and thought they were stupid when they became popular. I’d like to have some old generational china and silverware.

I also wish I had a house with a huge library, study, drawing room, etc.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Elaborate on this to me please. Was it a decision there were too many young people in the house and they'd ruin the fine china, there were more people than china servings available, or 'oh hell I don't want to hand wash that much' decisions being made on the flatware and silverware?

fwiw I totally understand the "I don't want everyone to use it because its so nice" aspect of it, but also at the quandary of "why did you spend so much on something you never use, touch, or look at?"
    Handwashing that china was the main reason.

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    My wife has fine crystal that she bought almost 55 years ago. She also has two, 12 piece settings of fine china, a 12 piece set of antique silverplate silverware, and tons of new and old Fiestaware. Our kids have no interest in any of it. We checked with a local auction house and they told us except for some of the Fiestaware, it wasn't even worth bringing to auction unless we just about wanted to give it away.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My wife's mom downsized and "gifted" us her china set- it had silver leaf trim, so it couldn't be microwaved. I "accidentally" donated the heavy box of it to goodwill when we last moved. It was very ugly.

We do have a set of Baccarat crystal wine/champagne glasses received as wedding gifts....but neither of us drink. Same ones they broke in War of the Roses movie. We do use them when we have company.

My friend's mom had a formal dining room that had a wrought iron fence to keep people out. Was weird as house was a 70's tri-level; nothing fancy.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My daughter is now the custodian of most of my grandma's junk like that. The "silverware" set is a very common plated one from the period and the "china" is anything but fine. There are some interesting glass pieces that she has displayed around the house, but none of it is in the china cabinet where my grandma kept it. My daughter uses the cabinet to display family photos. 6 generations of photos in there. That's a much better use of it than displaying some fake bougie plates.

Now my grandma's cast iron pans... we all fight over those.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Still hoping one of our three remaining grandkids will decide to keep these in the family - the furniture was bought by my wife’s grandfather in 1906 for the big house he built to raise his 5 children in.
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies